TForce | 10 minute breaks? Anyone at ups freight

Oh Well

TB Lurker
Credits
Here in omaha we started getting two 10 min. breaks and a week later they took them away. Has this happened to anyone else?

We aren't aware of any breaks. I have 10 + years here at Overnite/ UPS Freight never told we were allowed any breaks. Although we always took some! Only allowed 30 minute lunch. The contract reads 30 minutes to 1 hour lunch. Nothing in the contract about breaks. What terminal are you at Dockworker?

Nothing in the contract about breaks. What terminal are you at Dockworker?

You are correct, it's not in the contract. Quid Pro Quo comes to mind.
Sorry, I'm not giving my whereabouts up that easy.

I know there was some sort of PCM on it. I'll see if I can find the info. Maybe another member can post it.
There is a break down of when you are allowed your two 10 minute breaks and when you should be taking your 30 minute lunch.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there a Labor law about breaks? Two 10 minute breaks in 8 hours. Been that way ever since I started working 20 some odd years ago.

Accurately Recording Meal Periods:
> Road Employees ~ must record all periods and meal times on their DOT
Logs. The service center management team is responsible for auditing those
logs.
> City Employees - must record the start and finish times of their meal period
by either clocking out and in (if they are in the facility), or by recording their
meal period in the DIAD.
'r Other Hourly Employees — must accurately record the exact times they start and finish their meal periods by clocking out when they begin a meal period, and clocking back in when they have completed a meal period.
Rest Periods:
Timing of rest periods - employees have the right to take certain paid rest periods. Rest periods should be taken as follows:
1. A 10-minute paid rest period during the first half of your third hour
2. A second 10-minute paid rest period during the first half of the seventh hour
3. A third 10-minute paid rest period to be taken no later than three hours after you
complete your second paid period.
You are authorized and permitted to take each of the rest periods discussed. If you feel that you cannot perform your duties and take your required rest periods, you must call management to advise us of the problem and get instructions on what to do. If you do not contact us, we will assume that you had the opportunity to take a rest period. Hourly employees are paid at their regular hourly rates during their rest periods. Payment for rest periods for mileage-based employees is included in their mileage rate.
No work during rest periods - as with meal periods, you may not perform any work during your rest periods.
Notifying the Center:
You must notify management as soon as possible if for any reason you do not take all required meal periods, are unable to take rest periods, if you perfornrany work during your meal or rest periods, if you work before your scheduled start time, or work after signing off the DIAD or clocking out at the end of the day.
Exceptions of this Policy:
All exceptions of the meal period policy will be handled immediatejy. Employees who violate these procedures are subject to the disciplinary process. The process includes:
1. Oral reminder for a first exception
2. Written counseling for a second exception
3. Written warning for a third
4. A final warning for a fourth
5. Finally, an employee should be terminated for a fifth exception of this policy

This is the second page of the pcm that I received dated Feburary 10, 2008. This is the PCM that is talking about lunches, and when you need to take them.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there a Labor law about breaks? Two 10 minute breaks in 8 hours. Been that way ever since I started working 20 some odd years ago.

There are no federal laws about breaks some but not many states have laws about lunchbreaks I have a list of the but I cannot copy and paste right now.

Here in omaha we started getting two 10 min. breaks and a week later they took them away. Has this happened to anyone else?

Yes this happened up north as well, some TM'S say we had them, others say we did not. This was before the union, we still do not have them now. and welcome to the boards, tell everyone you know about us.

Depends on the state you reside, I thought so too, but after some investigation I was proven wrong, unless it is federal.

Did you get breaks before we went union? We did at my barn. Maintenance of standards. anything we enjoyed before ratification they cannot take away.

The contract states we can take our lunch between our 3rd & 6th hour with no recourse. On the diad in the delay section there is a delay for Brk.

The contract states we can take our lunch between our 3rd & 6th hour with no recourse. On the diad in the delay section there is a delay for Brk.

We are told not to use that function and to just take our breaks.

I can't find the PCM notes on it. I might have left it in my assigned tractor.
If I remember it now, it's three 10 minute breaks instead of two that I previously posted plus your lunch.
Basically it's equivalent to two 15 minute breaks and a lunch.
There is a guideline on when to take those break entitlements.

We are told not to use that function and to just take our breaks.

I can't find the PCM notes on it. I might have left it in my assigned tractor.
If I remember it now, it's three 10 minute breaks instead of two that I previously posted plus your lunch.
Basically it's equivalent to two 15 minute breaks and a lunch.
There is a guideline on when to take those break entitlements.

Checkout the pcm that I cut and pasted on the bottom of the first page. Is that the one you are talking about?

Accurately Recording Meal Periods:
> Road Employees ~ must record all periods and meal times on their DOT
Logs. The service center management team is responsible for auditing those
logs.
> City Employees - must record the start and finish times of their meal period
by either clocking out and in (if they are in the facility), or by recording their
meal period in the DIAD.
'r Other Hourly Employees — must accurately record the exact times they start and finish their meal periods by clocking out when they begin a meal period, and clocking back in when they have completed a meal period.
Rest Periods:
Timing of rest periods - employees have the right to take certain paid rest periods. Rest periods should be taken as follows:
1. A 10-minute paid rest period during the first half of your third hour
2. A second 10-minute paid rest period during the first half of the seventh hour
3. A third 10-minute paid rest period to be taken no later than three hours after you
complete your second paid period.
You are authorized and permitted to take each of the rest periods discussed. If you feel that you cannot perform your duties and take your required rest periods, you must call management to advise us of the problem and get instructions on what to do. If you do not contact us, we will assume that you had the opportunity to take a rest period. Hourly employees are paid at their regular hourly rates during their rest periods. Payment for rest periods for mileage-based employees is included in their mileage rate.
No work during rest periods - as with meal periods, you may not perform any work during your rest periods.
Notifying the Center:
You must notify management as soon as possible if for any reason you do not take all required meal periods, are unable to take rest periods, if you perfornrany work during your meal or rest periods, if you work before your scheduled start time, or work after signing off the DIAD or clocking out at the end of the day.
Exceptions of this Policy:
All exceptions of the meal period policy will be handled immediatejy. Employees who violate these procedures are subject to the disciplinary process. The process includes:
1. Oral reminder for a first exception
2. Written counseling for a second exception
3. Written warning for a third
4. A final warning for a fourth
5. Finally, an employee should be terminated for a fifth exception of this policy

This is the second page of the pcm that I received dated Feburary 10, 2008. This is the PCM that is talking about lunches, and when you need to take them.

Okay, so I see 3 breaks of 10 minutes paid , and 1, 30 minute lunch unpaid, correct? And what exactly is a "second paid period" ?

Okay, so I see 3 breaks of 10 minutes paid , and 1, 30 minute lunch unpaid, correct? And what exactly is a "second paid period" ?

For the hours worked after 10 hours. according to this pcm we are to take 2 30 minute lunches if you work over ten hours. So the 3rd ten minute would also be after 10 hours worked.

Checkout the pcm that I cut and pasted on the bottom of the first page. Is that the one you are talking about?

That looks like a more detailed version.

In regards to City drivers:
I remember seeing a shortened version, talking about the 10 minute breaks and making sure we punch out for lunches on our DIADS.
Looks like the correct wording for the break schedule.