FedEx Freight | 10 minute breaks?

Breaks aren't mandated by any state or government body.

Painting with an awefully broad brush there. Just because the Feds don't require it. Some states do require breaks be offered after a certain amount of time.

You'll need to check the laws in YOUR state to be sure.

FedEx tries to keep it simple on some things, like over time, for example. The transportaion industry is exempt from overtime laws but in the past certain cariers have been succesfully sued under state law.

Breaks aren't mandated by any state or government body.
Here is the link to the U.S. Governments page relating to this subject for those who would be quick to say that they ARE mandatory!
U.S. Department of Labor - Find It By Topic - Work Hours - Breaks and Meal Periods
:popcorn:

I am pretty sure there are some states that have it mandated.

The whole break thing is overated anyway. More often then not, I have seen it as an excuse to be lazy or ***** and complain. what happen to the old hard work ethic days anyway? I am not into this new era of wanting something for nothing.

It's an unwritten rule.

You are supposadly allowed 2ea 10 min breaks for an 8 hour shift. You will probably never find it in writing anywhere though. I only record one on the IMEC. It's at the end of the day, you got everything off, filled with pickups, and dispatch tells you to come in and grab an empty from yard, you're going back out. :Flame-On: On overtime. Meanwhile the guys on the bottom of the board are starving. :nutkick: I truley believe they want us at each others throat. :popcorn:

forced overtime

up until lately,at our yard ,drivers would be told to go out to do a swap while already on overtime just to bring the trailer back and have it sit in the yard for hours. all the while,other drivers were not getting their 40 straight time. it looks to be a stupid dispatcher power trip to me--

Painting with an awefully broad brush there. Just because the Feds don't require it. Some states do require breaks be offered after a certain amount of time.

You'll need to check the laws in YOUR state to be sure.

FedEx tries to keep it simple on some things, like over time, for example. The transportaion industry is exempt from overtime laws but in the past certain cariers have been succesfully sued under state law.
The Governments brush is very broad AND vague!
With that said I stand corrected on the state to state implementation of break periods.

http://www.dol.gov/esa/whd/state/rest.htm#foot1

The states listed have mandatory break periods however ones not listed at the time of this last website update don't have any statute regarding break periods. Scroll to the very bottom and you will find that info in the footnote section.
maybe Your state is or isn't in there. Hopefully I have narrowed my broad brush stroke for you!

up until lately,at our yard ,drivers would be told to go out to do a swap while already on overtime just to bring the trailer back and have it sit in the yard for hours. all the while,other drivers were not getting their 40 straight time. it looks to be a stupid dispatcher power trip to me--
Randy,
At our yard they will bring back a guy that is going right past a stop that say has 2 skids to pick up if he/she is anywhere near getting to that 8 hour mark. They will however send a straight rate guy down to get it and burn up approx 3 hours.
Last time I check 15 minutes of over time doesn't come near the cost of 3 hours of straight time. Why do I use these numbers? because there is a particular customer and a route that this happens several times a week on!

But I digress and it all comes down to a numbers game. The management don't have to answer for straight time (most of the time) but right now with business levels they get ripped on for any amount of O/T. We need to get busy again and A lot of the micro management will probably go away. Just my .02

The Governments brush is very broad AND vague!
With that said I stand corrected on the state to state implementation of break periods.

U.S. Department of Labor - Employment Standards Administration (ESA) - Wage & Hour Divisions (WHD) - Minimum Paid Rest Period Requirements Under State Law for Adult Employees in Private Sector - January 1, 2008

The states listed have mandatory break periods however ones not listed at the time of this last website update don't have any statute regarding break periods. Scroll to the very bottom and you will find that info in the footnote section.
maybe Your state is or isn't in there. Hopefully I have narrowed my broad brush stroke for you!

Thank you Mr.Chavez! Much better brush :clap: BTW My state is not on the list...

I thought Minnesota's law was kind of funny:
Paid adequate rest period within each 4 consecutive hours of work, to utilize nearest convenient restroom.
:biglaugh::biglaugh:

I am pretty sure there are some states that have it mandated.

The whole break thing is overated anyway. More often then not, I have seen it as an excuse to be lazy or ***** and complain. what happen to the old hard work ethic days anyway? I am not into this new era of wanting something for nothing.

And then they cry if you don't stop what you're doing and go to break at the same time. If I'm busy and in the middle of something, they should be greatful that I would continue to work instead of going to break. Just like write ups for a 20 minute lunch instead of the whole 30. If we want to get back to work, leave us alone and wory about the slackers.

Slackers

Just like write ups for a 20 minute lunch instead of the whole 30. If we want to get back to work, leave us alone and wory about the slackers.

You have to remember, the slackers are usually the :butt kiss:

You really don't expect them to say anything to them do you???

Paid adequate rest period within each 4 consecutive hours of work, to utilize nearest convenient restroom.

We had a driver that got written up for stopping at the gas station about 5 minutes from our terminal to use the restroom. He had just left the terminal and it was at the beginning of his shift. (oh yeah he bought a soda while there too.) Kinda falls in the gray area of right or wrong.

We had a driver that got written up for stopping at the gas station about 5 minutes from our terminal to use the restroom. He had just left the terminal and it was at the beginning of his shift. (oh yeah he bought a soda while there too.) Kinda falls in the gray area of right or wrong.

We have a truck stop right next to our center. About 30 to 40% of our road and P&D drivers stop at the truck stop on there way out the gate. They have never said anything to anybody for stopping.

Did a little checking on this subject. According to the driver manual, in addition to a lunch break (varies state to state) everyone shall have the opportunity to take one "10 min rest break" per 4 hour period... That would be 2 per day and these are paid breaks, no need to clock out.
10-4?

Seriously

Did a little checking on this subject. According to the driver manual, in addition to a lunch break (varies state to state) everyone shall have the opportunity to take one "10 min rest break" per 4 hour period... That would be 2 per day and these are paid breaks, no need to clock out.
10-4?
:bowdown: I cant believe someone found it in writing. Are you sure it's in a updated Fed Ex Freight manual?

Is that legal in your state?
Yes, along with some other things FedEx will probably change. We use to have double time after 12 hrs and we were informed last week state law does not require it so they will not pay it here. Next will be overtime only paid after 40. Only good thing so far has been no mandadtory lunch in Nevada, so we do not have to take a lunch. We do get three breaks if you work a 4/10. Looks like they might be going state by state, who knows these days.