FedEx Freight | 1000 trailers going from FXFE to National

There is no way...as presently configured...that FXNL can absorb alot of YRCW's freight. It would be a complete DISASTER if YRCW went under because they control 25% of all LTL shipments. Look at it like this: 1 in 4 of all tendered LTL shipments ride on a YRCW branded trailor.

You're right, tho FXNL may be seeing some diversions of YRCW freight as National's market share is slowly but steadily expanding in long-haul. Bill count is steady because of the economy, tho.

The main problem with National is DAMAGES because only 50% of their pups are beam trailers equipped with loading racks. People at Freight are NOT happy right now with FXNL because we tendered some West Coast freight to them from accounts we won and they DESTROYED it. The customer then gave that freight to ABF...so these hard-fought accounts went from Freight to National to ABF...so ABF is getting a free ride at our expense. This company FXNL is a ****ing joke!!!

I realize that that this is off Topic ,but I can't let this one go........Your comments makes me laugh. Before we were Natl, our claims were very low ond our OR was as well. 1 of the first things my TM ( a former Viking TM)said to me at the time of the buy out was, Get ready for freight damage to double because these guys(FX) are all about the #s, cram it and go and sure enough many of the accounts that we lost right off the bat were customers that had used FX previously and came to us because of Excessive Freight Damage and refused to go back down that road......... My point is simply this You were Bought Out at one time to and you (now FXF) were far less than perfect in the begining, just as we are now. First we learn how to make the #'s work ( cram it and go) and then , as ya'll did we learn to make the #'s work and reduce claims ( as ya'll did). Unfortunately we will lose some hard fought for accounts in the process but that does not make us a *****ing joke it just makes us 5 yrs or so behind FXF in the learning process. We are in this together so there is no need to bash one another, with that said I'm done with this subject

I realize that that this is off Topic ,but I can't let this one go........Your comments makes me laugh. Before we were Natl, our claims were very low ond our OR was as well. 1 of the first things my TM ( a former Viking TM)said to me at the time of the buy out was, Get ready for freight damage to double because these guys(FX) are all about the #s, cram it and go and sure enough many of the accounts that we lost right off the bat were customers that had used FX previously and came to us because of Excessive Freight Damage and refused to go back down that road......... My point is simply this You were Bought Out at one time to and you (now FXF) were far less than perfect in the begining, just as we are now. First we learn how to make the #'s work ( cram it and go) and then , as ya'll did we learn to make the #'s work and reduce claims ( as ya'll did). Unfortunately we will lose some hard fought for accounts in the process but that does not make us a *****ing joke it just makes us 5 yrs or so behind FXF in the learning process. We are in this together so there is no need to bash one another, with that said I'm done with this subject

I couldn't agree with you more. Point well made + rep for you my friend.

There is no way...as presently configured...that FXNL can absorb alot of YRCW's freight. It would be a complete DISASTER if YRCW went under because they control 25% of all LTL shipments. Look at it like this: 1 in 4 of all tendered LTL shipments ride on a YRCW branded trailor.

You're right, tho FXNL may be seeing some diversions of YRCW freight as National's market share is slowly but steadily expanding in long-haul. Bill count is steady because of the economy, tho.

The main problem with National is DAMAGES because only 50% of their pups are beam trailers equipped with loading racks. People at Freight are NOT happy right now with FXNL because we tendered some West Coast freight to them from accounts we won and they DESTROYED it. The customer then gave that freight to ABF...so these hard-fought accounts went from Freight to National to ABF...so ABF is getting a free ride at our expense. This company FXNL is a ****ing joke!!!
There is a sure fire way to look at it. You may not like the idea of FXNL. But keep in mind we were around LONG before there ever was a FEDEX anything. Watkins operated every year they were around in the BLACK. It wasn't until the founding fathers turned the company over to the gradchildren that the place started going down hill. Mark my word it will happen at FEDEX too. And as far as damaging the frieght. What do you expect when all we get for equipment is FRIEGHTS hand me down junk. And that's all I got to say about that.

There you go again.. talking out of your non-freight-educated a$$.

I honestly am thinking that you don't even work for etheir opco since you display yourself in such a stupid manner.

Have you ever loaded a Non-Decking trailer? Before I came to FXF back in 2000, I had never in my life even seen a decking trailer. We were taught back in the day and with the other companies that I was with, how to actually load a trailer.

FXNL not having beamed trailers has nothing to do with claims.. and tell me oh scholar.. just what was FXNL claims ratio for the last quarter.. better yet, give me the claims number YOY '08, and what was the claims goal.

Here is why the statement about decking trailers is just stupid...

FXNL has a better "mix" of freight than we do over here at freight. We move primarly everything on wood. Due to our pricing, we do not see much of the hand freight, carpet, piece goods.. etc, etc.. FXNL still see's some of this freight and has the right mix to properly cube a trailer to capacity without decks.

Not to mention the nice little rain curtain in the back to keep things dry..

Think before you type, and some of those red marks in the right corner might start disapearing.

:smilie_132:

FXNL not having beamed trailers has nothing to do with claims.. and tell me oh scholar.. just what was FXNL claims ratio for the last quarter.. better yet, give me the claims number YOY '08, and what was the claims goal.

I know these numbers...do you think I'm going to post them over a public internet forum? Keep dreaming! :smilie_132:

FXNL has a better "mix" of freight than we do over here at freight. We move primarly everything on wood. Due to our pricing, we do not see much of the hand freight, carpet, piece goods.. etc, etc.. FXNL still see's some of this freight and has the right mix to properly cube a trailer to capacity without decks.

Freight mix has little..if anything to do with it.

FXNL is a long-haul LTL carrier...what does this mean? They employ a very lean terminal/hub network of 132 nationwide...to put this in perspective: here in Ohio FedEx Freight has 14 terminals/hubs in Ohio versus 6 for FXNL.

FXNL can consolidate freight at their hubs more efficiently (in Ohio they have 1 hub in Cincinnati which serves all of Ohio plus Kentucky and parts of Indiana) and pack their outbound linehaul trailers fuller...this advantage in load-factor is passed back to the shipper...but it also makes FXNL a slower service. FedEx Freight is geared for 1-2-3 day lanes so the freight is priced to move and subject to more stringent cut-times...thus it is a faster, more expensive network.

The flip-side of FXNL's leaner network is that they pack trailers fuller at the hubs which requires more stacking and ups the possibility of freight damage.

So the beam trailers will be a big help to them, which is why we're moving 1,000 brand-new pups to their network...which brings their decking trailers up to about 50% of fleet total.

I know these numbers...do you think I'm going to post them over a public internet forum? Keep dreaming! :smilie_132:

I do have PM... show me what you got... I'm interested to see if you actually are as up to par with both opco's efficiencies as you seem.

And yes, you are correct on most of what you stated as far as the service and loading of FXNL.. but, let me remind you that you were just throwing them under the bus, now you seem to be protecting them.

You say that mix of freight has little or anything to do with it.. yet you also say they can consolidate freight at their hubs more efficiently.

The better the mix.. the tighter the trailer.. the less freight moves.. the less damages..

It don't take a rocket scientist to figure this out..

You are starting to sound like a poiltician.... I know freight.. I know hubs.. I know logistics.. and by the way.. I know the numbers that you are currently trying to find. Yes, decking trailers are an advantage.. but not having them is not an excuse, nor a reason to damage freight. I can give you some numbers from a couple of freight companies that do not have decking trailers.. but yet have the mix of freight, without the service standard that we have.. that will blow your mind on claims ratios. We are darn good at what we do.. but in the end, it comes down to common sense and innitiative to defeat this number that pulls most LTL companies down.

I swear I am not trying to bust your balls.. I am just trying to figure out what you are getting at.. your post makes sense.. to a degree.. then you back peddle against what you just said.

The better the mix.. the tighter the trailer.. the less freight moves.. the less damages..

Yes, it comes down to how much each service crams into their trailers. FedEx Freight is for customers practicing "fast-cycle" logsitics so we can't hold the freight as long as National can...and so there is less need for us to double-stack freight. Yes, FXNL can pack their trailers higher/tighter..but that means more stacking.

You should see pictures of what FXNL does to their freight...pallets are stacked upon other pallets upon other pallets...now, remember that with their leaner network, the freight travels further between terminals on bumpy roads, ice, etc. We see lots of their freight with DO NOT STACK stickers being stacked upon and then stacked upon again. Overweight pups as well.

Not really their fault per se....they HAVE to stack that stuff as there is alot of pressure to use every available inch of space in that pup. That's why the beam trailers will help them immensly and lower their claim ratios.

Yes, it comes down to how much each service crams into their trailers. FedEx Freight is for customers practicing "fast-cycle" logsitics so we can't hold the freight as long as National can...and so there is less need for us to double-stack freight. Yes, FXNL can pack their trailers higher/tighter..but that means more stacking.

You should see pictures of what FXNL does to their freight...pallets are stacked upon other pallets upon other pallets...now, remember that with their leaner network, the freight travels further between terminals on bumpy roads, ice, etc. We see lots of their freight with DO NOT STACK stickers being stacked upon and then stacked upon again. Overweight pups as well.

Not really their fault per se....they HAVE to stack that stuff as there is alot of pressure to use every available inch of space in that pup. That's why the beam trailers will help them immensly and lower their claim ratios.

dude there is a right and wrong way to stack freight..there is a right way and wrong way to deck trailers that is what GTR is saying. Just becuase we have decking doesnt me we will always use it, on the flip side just becuase we may run out of decking one night dosnt me we will have claims. It all comes down to how some was shown to load a trailer. The center i was promoted to is one of the worst for not using decking but thing haves changed in the last 6 months its not that my dock guys didnt know what they were doing, its just that they were shown the wrong way of doing it.