FedEx Freight | 16 Wheelers

imported_CUJO

TB Lurker
Credits
Had a FXFE truck roll by me on I40 in Ark. between W.Memp. and Little Rock. Just happened to notice the dollie had super singles. What's up with that and if anyone has pulled them how do they perform?:smilie_132:

I can't tell any difference except they are lighter and easier to move around.... I have heard it takes longer sometimes to get a repair truck for tires if needed though.

I have never had a flat with one though

Yes on the dollies and I have seen them on some trailers. Have heard many negatives about roadside service because nobody carries them in stock.
Also handling when they blow. Supposed to have inner-liner but have heard they work sometimes and sometimes they don't. Supposed to be able to run so many miles on the inner-liner.
Have seen them laying in the yard with nothing but sidewalls left on the rim. Have heard of damage to dollies and trailers when they went.
Even with the negatives they are increasing the use of them. Rumor has it they plan on going Super Singles for drive tires on tractors.

Super Singles

Super singles are much easier to manuver by hand. If you have a blow out you can replace it with two standard rims, or so I'm told. They have the auto inflators on them, which is supposed to keep up with minor leaks. I've seen them blown out and torn off the rim though. Also we had one at the house the other day that the tread had seperated on like a recap. They tend to bounce a little more when going over rough spots. Especially if your back box is light.
We are able to keep our dollies/congear quite a while at our barn, so I had one a long time. I finally decided on a silver eagle with duals because it is still light, but won't be such a big headache if I have a flat. My route runs me through the woods and I might be able to limp to the next truck stop on one flat. We also have some air ride dollies with super singles but I haven't tried one yet. I've seen one of our trucks with super singles a couple years ago. It was on the St. Louis yard and they were under test then. Haven't seen one since.:smilie_132:
Remember the vets this weekend!:USA: :3dflagsdotcom_usa_2

We are so enamored with them on the west coast that they are not allowed past the gateway points.
Made some pretty good extra $$ unloading one and swinging the load into a trailer with duals so that we could pull it in triples and run in the snow over the border in Ca after dropping the third trailer. BTW the unloading and reloading took enough time that we couldn't make it home without laying over again. Screwed up the break bulk cuz we missed the cutoffs. But boy, you know, those super singles sure make a lot of sense from someone's business standpoint.
Oh yeah, if I hadn't been cut earlier in the week, I'd have hit my 70 and they would have had to come get me. Shoot, was kind of hoping for that.

I'm older,,, with a weak back,,, I LOVE the single Eagle dollies,, don't think I would want them on my tractor though, just because of the weather we have here... But they are SO nice to hook up... Thanks Fedex...

We are so enamored with them on the west coast that they are not allowed past the gateway points.
Made some pretty good extra $$ unloading one and swinging the load into a trailer with duals so that we could pull it in triples and run in the snow over the border in Ca after dropping the third trailer. BTW the unloading and reloading took enough time that we couldn't make it home without laying over again. Screwed up the break bulk cuz we missed the cutoffs. But boy, you know, those super singles sure make a lot of sense from someone's business standpoint.
Oh yeah, if I hadn't been cut earlier in the week, I'd have hit my 70 and they would have had to come get me. Shoot, was kind of hoping for that.

hairbear :1036316054:

Could have saved yourself all the hassle of swinging the load by just pretending that you were in Colorado and not in California. Colorado only chains the drive tires and NEVER hangs iron on the trailers.
:hysterical: :biglaugh:

superwides

I do not have any problem with the superwide tires on a dolly. As a matter of fact, they handle a lot better in the "ruts" on some of the interstates I traverse. Some of our tractors (5) are running them as well as some in Mem. , as a test. I have not talked to all of the drivers who have them, but most of them have said they like them. The tires have a better ride than the tandem wheels,and are quieter, no loss of handling in wet weather (would be my main concern). The only thing is service when one goes down, but as stated in an earlier post, can be replaced with tandems and sent on your way.

We have a few super single Volvos in KCY also and I've not heard any negatives. The Volvos equipped with these have extra equipment (gyros and computers) to deal with blowouts, also can be called "Anti-rollover devices" or stability devices like on newer SUVs that apply individual brakes and throttle to balance once they get upset.

Never heard anyone say if this works though. :-)

roog

We have a few super single Volvos in KCY also and I've not heard any negatives. The Volvos equipped with these have extra equipment (gyros and computers) to deal with blowouts, also can be called "Anti-rollover devices" or stability devices like on newer SUVs that apply individual brakes and throttle to balance once they get upset.

Never heard anyone say if this works though. :-)

roog

roogie :1036316054:

That is pretty high tech.

:smilie_132:

I like my super single air ride dolly...the best dolly I have ever pulled and I have pulled a jiff,... and dual tire red ones... and dual eagles and single tire eagles (D4497 for 2 years super single eagle)..working on 2 years with the air ride...(so I a'int no cherry)...I don't know how they are with triples and to be honest I don't want to know after watching UPS going down the road with the back trailer going everwhere.....Gezz you guys out west can keep them triples, and if you don't want to use a single tire I don't blame you....but I have found that the air ride single tire is as stable as the dual tire spring that the springs run front to rear (not the eagle that runs side to side, they wiggle way to much for me) and moves as easy as the eagle single tire when spotting it....TRUCK SAFE

I like my super single air ride dolly...the best dolly I have ever pulled and I have pulled a jiff,... and dual tire red ones... and dual eagles and single tire eagles (D4497 for 2 years super single eagle)..working on 2 years with the air ride...(so I a'int no cherry)...I don't know how they are with triples and to be honest I don't want to know after watching UPS going down the road with the back trailer going everwhere.....Gezz you guys out west can keep them triples, and if you don't want to use a single tire I don't blame you....but I have found that the air ride single tire is as stable as the dual tire spring that the springs run front to rear (not the eagle that runs side to side, they wiggle way to much for me) and moves as easy as the eagle single tire when spotting it....TRUCK SAFE

slackdragon :1036316054:

Good info. Glad to hear you like the air ride dolly. You guys must really keep a close eye on those air ride gears, because I don't think I ever saw one make it to the west.
As far as pulling triples most drivers don't think it is worth the extra .0250 cents per mile we get paid. Be nicer if it was more like a dime a mile. After awhile they don't pull any different than pulling just two trailers. Just a lot slower going uphill.

:smilie_132:

:1036316054: I have one of the super single volvo's in kcy and the only negative remark I have about them is that the seem to hydroplane in the rain if your not hauling much weight. They seem to do a little better in the snow from what i can tell. They do have the anti roll device on my tractor as well and if you go through a conner to fast it will aply the breaks and will not let you accellerate at all. Don't know if it's gonna be any fun blowing my only drive tire I have but blowout's aren't fun anyway.