XPO | 2020 rolls on, and now a gas shortage....... here we go again.

Conway Lifer

TB Lurker
Credits
I haven’t looked at the calendar lately, but I’m pretty sure, 2020 hasn’t ended. Here we are, still buried in freight, haven’t recovered from the Covid, nightmare, or the bad weather earlier, or truck driver shortages, and now gas shortages on east coast. No gas, people can’t get to work to drive the big rigs with the empty tanks. Freight won’t be picked up, and then when the gas is flowing again, here comes the tsunami of freight, and once again, were under water in freight. It’s a broken record, I know. Our yard has trailers of freight, on every fence, double parked in a lot of spaces. Never changes, it’s ”Groundhogs Day” everyday.

I haven’t looked at the calendar lately, but I’m pretty sure, 2020 hasn’t ended. Here we are, still buried in freight, haven’t recovered from the Covid, nightmare, or the bad weather earlier, or truck driver shortages, and now gas shortages on east coast. No gas, people can’t get to work to drive the big rigs with the empty tanks. Freight won’t be picked up, and then when the gas is flowing again, here comes the tsunami of freight, and once again, were under water in freight. It’s a broken record, I know. Our yard has trailers of freight, on every fence, double parked in a lot of spaces. Never changes, it’s ”Groundhogs Day” everyday.
Who said there is a gas shortage?

I live in Florida. There is no gas in my hometown or any of the surrounding cities. There is a gas shortage due to the pipeline being shut down.

So I guess this pipeline operation is so computerized, they can’t even load a truck without it? Or are they now also blaming the so called shortage of tank truck drivers that the media has been hyping for the last few weeks? Of course the oil industry would never intentionally instigate this to jump on the price gouging band wagon blaming Covid?

So I guess this pipeline operation is so computerized, they can’t even load a truck without it? Or are they now also blaming the so called shortage of tank truck drivers that the media has been hyping for the last few weeks? Of course the oil industry would never intentionally instigate this to jump on the price gouging band wagon blaming Covid?
Isn’t it curious that the tanker driver shortage was happening just before this happened? Eliminate all the options before the shortage starts seems to be easier than coming up with excuses afterwards to justify the price increase.

The pipeline runs from Texas and up thru northeast. The system is fully automated and therefore completely vulnerable to the kind of attack that happened. It will be back up by this coming week . Everything else is bullchit . Shortages are from panic buying and some of it isn’t even in the areas the pipeline services. It’s really that simple
This is also what’s being reported from reliable news sources.

Spreading incorrect info only leads to further confusion and panic. Don’t be part of the problem.

Last edited:
Isn’t it curious that the tanker driver shortage was happening just before this happened? Eliminate all the options before the shortage starts seems to be easier than coming up with excuses afterwards to justify the price increase.
If freight companies are having problems hiring drivers isn't it logical that tanker fleets are having those same problems?

If freight companies are having problems hiring drivers isn't it logical that tanker fleets are having those same problems?
There is a shortage of tanker drivers and we will have gas shortages this summer because of it

I live in Florida. There is no gas in my hometown or any of the surrounding cities. There is a gas shortage due to the pipeline being shut down.

That stinks. I’m sorry you are going through this. What steps can you take to manage ? How are customers staying open ? Or are they ?

Without that pipeline running, it causes a gas shortage. If our employees cant gas up their cars, to get to work, to drive our trucks with empty tanks, lol, a mess is brewing. Think about it. A owner operator, in Calif. Says hell no to a load going to NC. Won’t take the chance of no diesel in NC. and getting stuck there. So the gas starts flowing again, panic buying will suck up all that gas. Freight will sit on docks, waiting for trucks to return..... then the wave of freight starts again, and we, already buried in freight, will have even more, we can’t deliver. Never a dull moment in the trucking industry.

Without that pipeline running, it causes a gas shortage. If our employees cant gas up their cars, to get to work, to drive our trucks with empty tanks, lol, a mess is brewing. Think about it. A owner operator, in Calif. Says hell no to a load going to NC. Won’t take the chance of no diesel in NC. and getting stuck there. So the gas starts flowing again, panic buying will suck up all that gas. Freight will sit on docks, waiting for trucks to return..... then the wave of freight starts again, and we, already buried in freight, will have even more, we can’t deliver. Never a dull moment in the trucking industry.

Have a brew or two on your way home tonight and occupy your mind with more pleasant things. :guiness:

About 5 to 24% of all stations selling fuel are out in each of the Southern States from Mississippi to Fla up to Virginia.

That's not all that's bad. The I-40 bridge was closed about 30 hours ago here in Memphis and now the true magnitude of the failure is known. One of the main frames failed completely near a massive set of angle iron and dozens of bolts etc. SNAP. Unfortunately its close to the center pier and is very weak.

It will take months to replace that bridge. In the mean time everything is either Cape GauradeoU Bridge crossing off 55 in the bootheel or the I-55 downtown Memphis crossing. The problem with the I-55 steel bridge truss is that it's aged and not retrofitted for earthquake like the I-40 Memphis bridge was a few years ago. Its cheaper for the Memphis 55 bridge to fall into the river and replaced in months rather than try to strengthen it against quakes.

I find it horrifying that a super bridge like that one in Memphis on 40 snapped. Ive got the pictures on Zero Hedge talking about it specifically. East coast will suffer some trucking delays. You have a choice of St Louis or Vicksburg crossings for the river unless you want to gamble on Paducah Ky at the Bootheel.

Colonial Pipeline is being manually restarted but it will take some days. Probably next week. Maybe. They told the hackers where they can stick their ransom demand, tossing the locked computers that control the pipeline network and everything will have to be redone asap. (If I was colonial I would ditch the computers and remember how to have people running the thing manually at every pump house from the old WW2 days like was done then. No computers needed. Thus hack proof.