FedEx Freight | 25ft pup trailer?

MikeJ

TB Veteran
Credits
Yesterday we had a delivery via FedEx freight at my house (new AC unit) they came with one of your Kenworth 800s and a pup trailer that's a lift gate. The guy said the trailer was 25ft. I mean 25 ft why not just use a straight truck what's the difference at that point? Unless it was 28 ft trailer. At any rate do you guys have 25ft trailers? I've never heard of one of those.

Yesterday we had a delivery via FedEx freight at my house (new AC unit) they came with one of your Kenworth 800s and a pup trailer that's a lift gate. The guy said the trailer was 25ft. I mean 25 ft why not just use a straight truck what's the difference at that point? Unless it was 28 ft trailer. At any rate do you guys have 25ft trailers? I've never heard of one of those.

Flexibility. Can't pull a straight truck behind another pup being dropped off at a customer to load/unload. Drop the load/empty and work P&D from the lift gate for example.

Not sure how long the lift gate pups are, I've pulled a couple to EOL terminals or to a relay but I never looked at the build sheet.

roog

He probably didn't know what he was talking about. We take a lot of people with no experience and train them. FedEx does a nice job with these guys since I really don't see them smashing up the tractors at all. A 25' would be a special order and cost much more than a 28. That's exactly why so many have to do p & d with a 53. They cost less than a special order 40 or 45 ft trailer.

Yep they are 28 ft liftgates. We had a straight truck with a 28 foot box on it but boy did everyone complain about driving it. Most forklifts were too tall to go in it and the turning radius was horrible. We traded it to CGX for use in downtown Chicago. No tears were shed when that thing left!