FedEx Freight | 3Q earnings

"The company said it will eliminate more jobs and make other cutbacks to deal with the ongoing economic slowdown. "
Hold on to your shorts boys and girls..... We are supposed to hear more bad news here tomorrow.... (Fri)

FedEx said Thursday its fiscal third-quarter profit tumbled 75 percent as severe weakness in the global economy offset the benefit of lower fuel prices

Revenue fell 14 percent to $8.14 billion, from $9.44 billion.

Wait a minute... Revenue falls 14% and that means PROFIT is down 75%...

I don't like tha sound of Smith talking about cutting jobs AND wages...

To further reduce costs, FedEx plans to cut more jobs, although it didn't say how many. It also plans to scale back some workers' hours and wages and trim air and truck capacity. The company said it will take a charge of about $100 million in its fiscal fourth-quarter for the changes, excluding any writedowns on the value of assets. FedEx expects the cutbacks to save about $1 billion in the next fiscal year.

FedEx today said it would extend the pay reductions to an unspecified number of non-U.S. workers and would reduce capacity in both its FedEx Express and FedEx Freight units.

Is this a kindler gentler way to say layoffs?

Our gov't could've already fixed it....

We over here at Conway feel it too. Some of us are barely hanging on. There is just no freight. Gotta love our gov't! Good luck guys.

im one of the ones who was laid off in february. i hope and pray for all that this thing will blow over. i sure dont want to be outta work and sure dont want anyone else to be out either. all u guys are in my thoughts and prayers to keep ur jobs and at least hanging on till the bad ride is over. if more layoffs are coming all i can say is good luck bros

I'm a FedEx Express employee and I do appriciate the thought. I've only been driving for fedex a year now and have been with the company for a year and a half. I'm sure if there's any lay-offs at my facility I'll be the first to go.::nutkick: I haven't heard of any lay-offs yet but if I do I'll post.
They're suppose to let us know about raises, if any, by the end of the month. Takes 12 - 15 years to top out now.
They just put in every truck a GPS device, 14 million bucks I hear, and will be adding them to all trailers soon too. Lower costs of filling out log books and get rid of two-way radios they say. They have cut out the coffee. No more coffee!!! But we still have popcorn.:popcorn:

I'm a FedEx Express employee and I do appriciate the thought. I've only been driving for fedex a year now and have been with the company for a year and a half. I'm sure if there's any lay-offs at my facility I'll be the first to go.::nutkick: I haven't heard of any lay-offs yet but if I do I'll post.
They're suppose to let us know about raises, if any, by the end of the month. Takes 12 - 15 years to top out now.
They just put in every truck a GPS device, 14 million bucks I hear, and will be adding them to all trailers soon too. Lower costs of filling out log books and get rid of two-way radios they say. They have cut out the coffee. No more coffee!!! But we still have popcorn.:popcorn:
Just curious, How does a GPS device have anything to do with logbooks? Maybe I really don't want to know.

Just curious, How does a GPS device have anything to do with logbooks? Maybe I really don't want to know.

FXF is working on a device for all drivers that will include GPS, electronic logging capabilities, self-dispatching, etc.

oaf

We log in the system, log book automatically puts you in as on duty status, you send a message that you have pretripped the truck, then a note you have departed, the log starts you driving once you reach 15mph. Log off for lunch and when your done for the day is all you do, the rest is automatic. Never will be 100% accurate. I was in traffic the other day for 30 minutes or so and it recorded me on duty not driving.

I found this the other day at a different forum, has anybody heard of this?

fedex lost major law suit in california. they must pay social security back taxes on ground service delivery people. fedex didn't consider them employees but the federal govt does. they owe hundreds of millions of dollars. also they have to upgrade their airplanes to comply with new govt noise standards, they have till end of year and they haven't even started. UPS is done with their planes. UPS also took out 2 billion dollars in bonds on thursday this week. sounds to me like fedex is in trouble.

I found this the other day at a different forum, has anybody heard of this?

fedex lost major law suit in california. they must pay social security back taxes on ground service delivery people. fedex didn't consider them employees but the federal govt does. they owe hundreds of millions of dollars. also they have to upgrade their airplanes to comply with new govt noise standards, they have till end of year and they haven't even started. UPS is done with their planes. UPS also took out 2 billion dollars in bonds on thursday this week. sounds to me like fedex is in trouble.

It's starting to smell like troll. Does anyone else smell troll?

It's a pungent smell, like when you walk too close to road kill or other rotting carcases. Kind of burns the nostrils.

I guess if no one else smells troll it must just be me so I'll shut up.

oaf

It's a pungent smell, like when you walk too close to road kill or other rotting carcases. Kind of burns the nostrils.

oaf
Its either troll or someone just woke up from a long nap under a big rock and thought they had breaking news!:biglaugh:

oaf

Old AF :smilie_132:

I trust your nose.......
And your nose has never failed me before.......
A FedEx Express troll????????
That is the question.

:popcorn:

oaf

Not sure what your talking about with the troll thingy. I work for FDX and was concerned about my job, just looking for some insight. With the 75% loss earnings going on a huge lawsuit sure isn't going to help. Smell this ::shit::

Not sure what your talking about with the troll thingy. I work for FDX and was concerned about my job, just looking for some insight. With the 75% loss earnings going on a huge lawsuit sure isn't going to help. Smell this ::shit::

just someone trying to dig up support for his/her B ::shit::.

Sorry your not finding it here.:loser:

Exhibit A:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/memphis/575503-fedex-layoff-month-2.html

The link above appears to be a forum frequented by some folks from FedEx Services and others, who are speculating on the future--yourself included, assuming you're using the same handle on both boards.

If you scroll down to the eighth post by "pittbob", the content looks to be verbatim what you posted here on Truckingboards.

So it would appear you copy/pasted a post by "pittbob" into Truckingboards, without attributing your source, and making it appear it came straight from you.

Notwithstanding the fact that the most basic level of research would tell you what you needed to know about that "major" lawsuit in California that we "lost", which as shoeman indicated, is old news. (This internet thing really is great for keeping you up to speed on breaking news!)

AND, doing the aforementioned basic research, personally, I haven't been able to find anything about the noise standards.

EXCEPT here:

Stage 3 Jet Kit - Airplane Noise

...which includes the phrase "designed to provide full compliance with both F.A.A. Stage 3 and I.C.A.O Chapter 3 noise standards..."

And here:

http://www.oharenoise.org/

...where if you look towards the bottom of the page, it appears we're getting some kind of award for something to do with flying quietly.

Now, maybe there's a gold mine of information out there about us being behind or whatever, but it sure isn't at the top of a Google search.

That said, I'll be the first to apologize if you have more info that you can share with us.

So I'm sorry if I offended you by calling you a troll. But from my point of view, you have a grand total of four posts. One of which is a blatant copy/paste from another website, which I literally found within 30 seconds of Googling "fedex planes noise standard". You could have at least said, "Hey guys, I found this information on so-and-so.com. Do you think there's anything to it?"

That's just common etiquette/courtesy or whatever, assuming you have any desire whatsoever to be taken seriously.

oaf

Ok, let me back up and try to provide some insight.

Here's the info you need to know on the Calif. lawsuit.

FedEx settles California lawsuit : Business News : Memphis Commercial Appeal

Key word: settled.

God bless Google.

As for the noise issue with the planes, I'm not going to say I researched it heavily, but in about 30 seconds I found this:

Sound Reduction - FedEx Planes - Airplane Noise

Seems we've actually had a patent on some types of hushkits for a few years, so it would seem odd that we wouldn't be up to speed on installing them. There doesn't appear to be a lot of recent stories; in my Google search for "fedex noise planes", the top stories are from 2005, 2006, 2001, 2000, and 2007. I didn't go beyond the first page of results, but I did see one story where we received some award from O'Hare airport for something to do with noise reduction efforts. Anyone want to dig into this, git r done. (Not you, Git r Done, I mean the exclamatory statement popularized by LTCG, not our favorite red shirt. Sorry for any confusion.) I digress.

I did happen to come across the website you referenced in your original post;

Fedex Layoff next month??? - Memphis - Tennessee (TN) - Page 2 - City-Data Forum

I guess Jeff and his motley crue of Mods should feel honored that you came over here to Truckingboards for more info rather than hang out there. Sorry if we (I) didn't give you the warmest of welcomes, but we do tend to be a troll watching group here. By copying/pasting some somewhat inflammatory and outdated/incorrect info without referencing your source, we (I) may tend to shoot first and ask questions later.

oaf

PS -- In your post on the city-data.com site, you speak of two Express hubs shutting down on 6/1, "Frankfort, KY and Columbus, OH hub, not the ramp." Frankly, I didn't know Express operated hubs in those locations; I thought their domestic hubs were in Memphis, Oakland, Indy, Ft Worth, and soon to be Greensboro. Can you tell us more about these operations?

PSS -- Don't know for sure but assume you work for Express? We have a forum specific for that opco, and I hear Smokestack is always looking for more employees from that group to participate.