TForce | 401K, Pensions

pissweed

TB Lurker
Credits
I read the post about the 401k's...if UPS no longer contributes to the 401Ks, who will? I seriously doubt that the union will want to out of the low dues that we will be paying, so does it just sit there and take a nosedive like the rest of the market?
Who contributes to the pension plan for us? Again, with the low dues, the union can't. So do our pensions stop growing? Who cares if the health insurance is a tiny bit better and we get a tiny raise....who pays for our benefits?!?!?! The union can't do it on these supposedly low dues...or are they going to go way up???? There are too many unknowns here and I haven't seen anything in writing except things like grievances and seniority... Who cares! I want my money for retirement!!! Show me in writing!!!

I read the post about the 401k's...if UPS no longer contributes to the 401Ks, who will? I seriously doubt that the union will want to out of the low dues that we will be paying, so does it just sit there and take a nosedive like the rest of the market?
Who contributes to the pension plan for us? Again, with the low dues, the union can't. So do our pensions stop growing? Who cares if the health insurance is a tiny bit better and we get a tiny raise....who pays for our benefits?!?!?! The union can't do it on these supposedly low dues...or are they going to go way up???? There are too many unknowns here and I haven't seen anything in writing except things like grievances and seniority... Who cares! I want my money for retirement!!! Show me in writing!!!

what? the answer to all your question are right on here already...answers everything your asking, good luck.

WHERE is it? I don't have forever....someone gave me a contract to read which was close to 100 pages and it was boring and did not address health insurance, pensions, or 401k. Who cares about a grievance procedure? Believe you me, they will not fire you if you are a good, honest, hard-working employee, even if you walk across the lot with out the ridiculous safety vest....however, if you are a lazy employee who always gives management trouble, you won't get halfway across the lot without that vest! Don't believe me? Try it this week!
Now, show me the GOOD STUFF in writing, NOT someone's unknowledgeable opinion! Where is it!

SECTION 3. 401(k) Plan
No later than sixty (60) days after ratification of this Agreement, all full and casual employees shall be eligible to participate in the Teamsters UPS National 401(k) Tax Deferred Savings Plan in accordance with the terms of that Plan. The Employer shall withhold from an employee’s earnings, amounts mutually agreed between the Employer and the employee, and deposit such monies into a 401(k) account in the employee’s name in compliance with the Internal Revenue Code and ERISA.

The only thing you loose is the company match.

Pension:
SECTION 6. Retirement
Effective upon ratification, full-time and casual employees shall cease to be covered by the UPS Retirement Plan and shall instead be covered by the UPS Pension Plan. The UPS
Pension Plan will be amended to cover the employees based on the terms set forth in this subsection. The benefit formula for current and future full-time and casual employees will remain unchanged from the benefit formula in effect for the UPS Retirement Plan at the time of ratification of this Agreement.
The UPS Pension Plan is governed by the terms of the plan document and trust agreement, both of which are incorporated herein by reference. Any claims for benefits are subject to resolution solely through the UPS Pension Plan administrative claims process.

There are 63 pages. I can see how that seemed like a bit much for ya:hysterical::hysterical:

WHERE is it? I don't have forever....someone gave me a contract to read which was close to 100 pages and it was boring and did not address health insurance, pensions, or 401k. Who cares about a grievance procedure? Believe you me, they will not fire you if you are a good, honest, hard-working employee, even if you walk across the lot with out the ridiculous safety vest....however, if you are a lazy employee who always gives management trouble, you won't get halfway across the lot without that vest! Don't believe me? Try it this week!
Now, show me the GOOD STUFF in writing, NOT someone's unknowledgeable opinion! Where is it!

I would contact your local, find out who your BA is and they should be able to show you all that. That's how I saw the medical info. I/we haven't even got a copy or the contract or DVD yet that everybody's talking about, we're still waiting on that and we're suppose to have a meeting to vote this Sat.

I hate to be bold, But, You contribute to your 401k and it keeps growing. The Pension is company paid and the company contributes to that plan.

Don't be rude...that was not in the contract that I was given and I am not slow...I am far ahead of most of these guys who only worry about trivial things. So, if I had only 8 years under UPS (part of that was Overnite) and 3 or 4 years under the union, what pension would I get? (I don't mean exactly how much!) but wouldn't the change hurt my total pension? I also don't really want to lose the company 401K match, although I hate that UPS stock that they give us...it only goes up right before the match, so they give it to us when it is high then it goes down and we are therefore only getting about 2% max instead of 3.5%. So much for that, but I need it all. I'll bet that if I only have 3 or 4 years with the union, I won't get any pension at all from the union, will I? All I would get would be the 8 years with UPS/Overnite, right? Or if I don't get in the union now, I could get a pension from UPS based on 11 or 12 years service, right? So therefore, the union is only best for younger drivers and not those nearing retirement. Honestly, would that be a true statement?
This is very important to me.

Don't be rude...that was not in the contract that I was given and I am not slow...I am far ahead of most of these guys who only worry about trivial things. So, if I had only 8 years under UPS (part of that was Overnite) and 3 or 4 years under the union, what pension would I get? (I don't mean exactly how much!) but wouldn't the change hurt my total pension? I also don't really want to lose the company 401K match, although I hate that UPS stock that they give us...it only goes up right before the match, so they give it to us when it is high then it goes down and we are therefore only getting about 2% max instead of 3.5%. So much for that, but I need it all. I'll bet that if I only have 3 or 4 years with the union, I won't get any pension at all from the union, will I? All I would get would be the 8 years with UPS/Overnite, right? Or if I don't get in the union now, I could get a pension from UPS based on 11 or 12 years service, right? So therefore, the union is only best for younger drivers and not those nearing retirement. Honestly, would that be a true statement?
This is very important to me.

far far ahead???:hysterical::hysterical:

But, the company is also supposed to contribute to the 401K plan, or it is customary, and yes, I do contribute the max $20.5k annyally, but none of this is enough...we need good pensions too. That is my question.....who will contribute to the pension plan if we are in the union? I have never been in a union and I have heard many horror stories about the pensions, I'm sorry. Right now, my largest goal is to maximize my pension benefits. Period.
Also, for the guy who said to look on the teamster website, thanks. Apparantly they will have a more all-inclusive contract that what was given to me locally. What the people have said locally will just not get it!

right now the company contributes to the 401k they give you 50% on your first 7% they give it to you in ups stock, they will no longer give you there match part once we are union.

The pension will not change once we are union, you don't pay anything into the pension.

Right, I realize about the 401K..50% of 7% = 3.5%, which is pretty standard.

I guess, what I am saying is, how many years of service will be considered toward my pension if I am with UPS for 11-13 years, 3 or 4 of which is as a union member?

I can't tell if you are pro-union or non-union.