TForce | 60 min delay

What do they gain from pushing back our departure times?

If done correctly, the ability for terminals to move and cube more freight into trailers.
If not done correctly, the ability for that purpose to back fire.

There really needs to be some kind of initiative to get every single terminal effected by the 60-90 minute delay to get the city freight in sooner and unloaded.

There really needs to be some kind of initiative to get every single terminal effected by the 60-90 minute delay to get the city freight in sooner and unloaded.

Reducing and or Limiting all the 09:30 and 10:00am. City Starts - would be a step in the right direction!

Reducing and or Limiting all the 09:30 and 10:00am. City Starts - would be a step in the right direction!

Absolutely. also I think optimizing routes would help also. I didnt get back to my terminal until 8 pm last night. Due to Pick ups were removed and the readded and pick up times were not until later in the day.

I drove 211 miles on my city route yesterday due to these ineffeciencies.

It's a bunch of issues at our terminal. It's starts off as the Tuesday morning domino effect.
We are not yet on the same page and inbound, outbound, dispatch supervisors don't seem to always work as a TEAM.

Freight gets in late in the morning, they decide to break the trailers and hold up the 10:00 am and later city guys, only to cram them with more deliveries that are now out of sync in the trailer.
While we are scrambling making these deliveries and trying to beat early close times, our DIADs are blasting away with pick-ups.
Sooner or later a customer on the Shipping or Receiving end gets hosed.

I feel they need to find a way to get our Road Drivers back earlier, get the freight unloaded quicker and loaded in sequence into the run/peddle trailers.
This is especially crucial when you have late city start times.

I personally bring a pallet jack and dock hook with me. I don't always like BBAKS and will avoid them if possible.

However in a perfect world, the 60-90 minute delay on Friday's is designed to load all the next day and most of, if not all the 2 day+ freight picked up for the weeks end.

What do they gain from pushing back our departure times?

By delaying the outbound trailers for 90 min. It gives the dock a better chance to create direct loads and larger headloads, becuase more freight from the city will be at the terminal when the outbound trailers are loaded.

It reduces claims becuase it means less freight moving across the docks at hubs.

All I get done is......Up to SLC and wait on the other guys that have been set back and get home later on Saturday......I can see where maybe some terminals need this.....But making it a blanket thing is stupid.......It does not do a thing for SLC.

By delaying the outbound trailers for 90 min. It gives the dock a better chance to create direct loads and larger headloads, becuase more freight from the city will be at the terminal when the outbound trailers are loaded.

It reduces claims becuase it means less freight moving across the docks at hubs.

Nonsense, it gives them nothing, I arrive at my turn around and most of the dock crew is gone, and the ones that are still there are hanging aroung the office waiting for the delayed inbounds. EVERY night there is a delay my return loads are done at the same time and quite frequently sooner that usual. The terminals are reduced to sending dock guys home at their usual time or even earlier to make sure their labor to revenue isnt to out of wack by having the rest of them there for nothing.

i have been on all 3 sides of this one,
the dock says it the city drivers, the city drivers says it's the road drivers, and the road drivers says it's both!

you want to fix this???

get the road drivers out early or at least on time, then we get back earlier.

road drivers get back earlier the dock breaks it earlier and the city gets out earlier and get back in earlier and the dock loads our trailers out earlier.
no 90 minute delay, i'm happy, your happy. ups get's to make there money and that makes them happy.

i fixed that, what's next ?

Nonsense, it gives them nothing, I arrive at my turn around and most of the dock crew is gone, and the ones that are still there are hanging aroung the office waiting for the delayed inbounds. EVERY night there is a delay my return loads are done at the same time and quite frequently sooner that usual. The terminals are reduced to sending dock guys home at their usual time or even earlier to make sure their labor to revenue isnt to out of wack by having the rest of them there for nothing.

Just becuase you don't see a benefit does not mean the delay does not work, you say there is no benefit but you contradict yourself by saying the dock crew is usually done earlier thats the point by the terminals that pickup the freight have extra time to creae better and more headloads reducing the time it takes to work the freight at the next point. Also the less times freight gets handled the less chance it has to get damaged.

Just becuase you don't see a benefit does not mean the delay does not work, you say there is no benefit but you contradict yourself by saying the dock crew is usually done earlier thats the point by the terminals that pickup the freight have extra time to creae better and more headloads reducing the time it takes to work the freight at the next point. Also the less times freight gets handled the less chance it has to get damaged.

I'm not contradicting anything, by being done early, I mean mean the ones that ever show up on fridays usually go home early by the regular show up time standards. This delay garbage is just something that was tried by other companies in the past and shown to be a waste of time. It takes the top dog that thought it was a good idea to finally let it die the death it needs to. But that would mean some one from top management saying they were wrong.