Yellow | 653 (Charlotte) Dock Lay Off

Docksteward

Teamsters Local 71
Credits
Hey guys, After a slower Memorial Day week, management decided to lay 20 dock guys off last night. I just don't get it, especially this time of the year.

I have have heard the Atlanta dock is busy but I'm not for sure.

Just wondering what the freight levels are like at the other break bulks and if you are experiencing lay offs. I know we are short of line haul drivers and am wondering if any of you see the company loading around us.

I would like some feedback on this and if you don't want to post here, just message me!

Thanks in advance, DS.

hagerstown will direct load around carlisle often, only rarely do we direct load around 653, when we have large volume shots. we called back and dont have the bill count to justify it.

Was everyone at 653 getting overtime? Were the 10%ers working? I work at a combo barn (218) and I happened to work over 60 hours the week that they laid me off. I signed up for available work the next week and still got 60 hours the week "I was laid off". I think they recalled me a week or 2 later, but then 2 months later they pulled the same thing. Things that make you go hmmmmmm?

its all about the numbers, we sometimes meet goal. our managers don't want to look bad after calling men back who have been gone nearly 5 years who left jobs to come back here. otherwise, by the numbers, 2 of the last 3 call backs should go.
sad to say, only deaths and illness in our families have kept these men working so far. a couple of good weeks with nobody missing except vacations, will magnify this situation with management above the terminal level.

Was everyone at 653 getting overtime? Were the 10%ers working? I work at a combo barn (218) and I happened to work over 60 hours the week that they laid me off. I signed up for available work the next week and still got 60 hours the week "I was laid off". I think they recalled me a week or 2 later, but then 2 months later they pulled the same thing. Things that make you go hmmmmmm?
Hey rocketman, we still have over 100 dock workers laid off. We don't have 10%ers and have been working around 300+ hours of overtime a week.

Most of the 20 guys will have a good chance of making 40 hours this week, they will just be on layoff and work on call.

It was like the freight faucet was turned down and I was trying to find out if any other terminals are experiencing the same. DS

I believe they turned the spigot off at oklahoma city531.they laid some dock city guys off.strangest thing ive seen in a long time

I believe they turned the spigot off at oklahoma city531.they laid some dock city guys off.strangest thing ive seen in a long time

Guys, read/listen to what's going on in the economy. It stinks. Steel companies across the board took a big hit on the exchanges today because of declining outlook and production. Coal producers took a hit partially because of the declining steel outlook. Less production, less shipping, less need for trucking. Get real, nobody at YRCF is turning off any spigots.

Guys, read/listen to what's going on in the economy. It stinks. Steel companies across the board took a big hit on the exchanges today because of declining outlook and production. Coal producers took a hit partially because of the declining steel outlook. Less production, less shipping, less need for trucking. Get real, nobody at YRCF is turning off any spigots.
Hey Triplex...............I understand the economy is wobbling around but we went from being busy to not in a couple of days! The company recalled over 15 dock guys and a week later laid off 20! All I'm saying is that it's unusual and was inquiring if the same thing is happening at the other breaks. Thanks for the info............DS

Hey Triplex...............I understand the economy is wobbling around but we went from being busy to not in a couple of days! The company recalled over 15 dock guys and a week later laid off 20! All I'm saying is that it's unusual and was inquiring if the same thing is happening at the other breaks. Thanks for the info............DS

I hear you Docksteward, not trying to dispute what's going on. Could it just have been end of month uptick and then the usual slide after that?

Well, well................Looks as if we are back in the freight business this week. After a slow start, we were humming right along yesterday. So much that we were working laid off men twice in the same day and casuals! We also have a "quick bid" up to readjust to loosing 20 men to layoff on Sunday. If the freight hangs around like this we'll be calling those same 20 back soon! DS

I am on the extra board at 211 and 218, all of a sudden we went from getting 40+ hours a week to being luck y to get 2 or 3 days in.

I am on the extra board at 211 and 218, all of a sudden we went from getting 40+ hours a week to being luck y to get 2 or 3 days in.
Word is 211 dock & yard pissed upper Mgt off at a meeting. You know anything about that? Heard this at several terminals, drivers & mgt. Take it for what its worth.Good luck brother.

Word is 211 dock & yard pissed upper Mgt off at a meeting. You know anything about that? Heard this at several terminals, drivers & mgt. Take it for what its worth.Good luck brother.

The only thing I know that happened recently is greivance hearings but I haven't heard anything about that.

Whether or not someone pissed upper mgmt off.James Welch will be down there at some time kicking ass.because of freight not being moved.he doesnt tolerate bullcrap

Whether or not someone pissed upper mgmt off.James Welch will be down there at some time kicking ass.because of freight not being moved.he doesnt tolerate bullcrap
Then maybe Welch might want to tell his management to follow the contract just like we have to if losing grievences is the reason for the slow down..