ABF | 707 pension insolvency - time to act

John Kelder

TB Lurker
Credits
Here are the facts as I know them - 707 pension was funded at 98% in 1995 when McCaffrey became a union officer and Fund Trustee .Under his watch he approved an increase in pension credits from $90 per credit to $115 .This coincided with President of 707 retirement and member of his ticket who immediately became a Yellow Labor manager ,Nicholas Piccarello .Nice going away gift .Then , instead of hard negotiations , when Cardinal Healthcare and Overnight/UPS became 707 Teamsters , they did not become part of the pension , they were put in a 401K .The pension NEEDED more employers then and now .Yet ,McCaffery complains about lack of employer contributions when he let 2 big fish get away .
In 2000 , the Fund had about 440 MILLION in assets .15 years later , we have next to nothing . Here is where the politicians got involved . In 2006 , Pension laws were changed , and that is why we receive those notices regarding funding status .That same set of laws also provided for a 5% penalty the first year , and 10% penalty every year after above and beyond the contribution rate until the fund was out of endangered status . I believe that THIS is what triggered UPS paying 6 Billion dollars to get out of CSPF . I also believe that is why YRC desperately needed to freeze pension contributions ...Because ZERO X 5% is ZERO ,and Zero X 10% is ZERO .And to the best of my knowledge , no penalty surcharge has been paid .
Leadership roles demands of leaders to make decisions , and accountability . The plan actuaries CANNOT have NOT known what this set of circumstances would do the the 707 pension fund .Yet McCaffrey and crew told the members to vote yes to save YRC , never speaking of actuarial advice to the contrary .
McCaffrey has , while holding a full time job as 707 President , became certified in Plan administration .He also ,as noted in this thread , entered into local politics .SO ,is it no wonder that the Teamster members suffer ? The 707 plan administrator was a full time job, the President was a full time job , and one would imagine that the constituents want their county legislator doing that full time ..THREE FULL TIME JOBS done by one person.Plus a Fund Trustee..Rome burned , as Nero fiddled ................He and the other Trustees have violated their Fiduciary duties IMO .

So please pass this along - at 4PM on Saturday 6/20/15 at LaQuinta Inn and Suites at MacArthur Airport ,10 Aero Rd. Bohemia NY all active and retired 707 pension participants are invited to discuss any and all legal remedies to restore our pension .

707 pension participants - this is your weekend up date
1 - IMO we are hiring the best forensic attorney team in the country .you get what you pay for .$50,000 retainer.

2 - no guarantees - you are paying for legal advice and a forensic review of the pension fund .We may never find wrong doing , and we may never recover 1 penny as a result of this investigation. BUT - no pension goes broke without somebody getting rich (quote of the week)

3 -McCaffrey said the Dept . of Labor did an audit last year . According to McCaffrey , nothing was wrong as the result of the DOL audit .

4 - I , for one , do not trust the government .Or the Trustees, or the Fund Administrator . FYI - the DOL receives a 1099(IRS FORM) annually . It showed the DOL the staggering losses , and the DOL did nothing .

5 - McCaffrey called me on Wednesday and asked me NOT to move forward with our independent audit . I declined .

6 - I will be at the Fund office next week to obtain any and all documents available to participants.I hope it is enough .

7 - Many retirees and active participants are mobilizing and putting in towards the retainer

8 - Saturday ,6/20/15 at 4PM at the LaQuinta Inn in Bohemia ,there is a meeting for 707 pension fund participants , active and retired . I am putting the meeting on . Hope to see the room full .

Good luck on your quest and I do hope you come out better with this. You could be setting a great precedent for us all.

UPS was never going to put UPSF in any multi-employer pension. Yes we do have a pension fund. Most guys are happy with it. Cardinal health I believe is in 401k. As for Kevin he's a straight up politician. We only see him come contract time. He was pissed off we voted it down the contract first round. He sounds just like our Mgrs at UPSF no difference. We should be lucky UPS gave this etc,etc,etc. Its going on ten yrs they bought us out. How long is he going to hang that over our heads. Those are his negotiating tactics WOW. Best of luck to everyone involved but I can speak for most UPSF we're glad we have nothing to do with those funds. Not trying to be facetious my pops is a retired Teamster & is nervous as we speak.

UPS was never going to put UPSF in any multi-employer pension. Yes we do have a pension fund. Most guys are happy with it. Cardinal health I believe is in 401k. As for Kevin he's a straight up politician. We only see him come contract time. He was pissed off we voted it down the contract first round. He sounds just like our Mgrs at UPSF no difference. We should be lucky UPS gave this etc,etc,etc. Its going on ten yrs they bought us out. How long is he going to hang that over our heads. Those are his negotiating tactics WOW. Best of luck to everyone involved but I can speak for most UPSF we're glad we have nothing to do with those funds. Not trying to be facetious my pops is a retired Teamster & is nervous as we speak.
I once heard that the sticking point in getting a contract with Overnite was the demand that they enter the Teamster pension funds. Totally unconfirmed but it did sound logical.

As I see it if you are a member of that fund $50,000.00 would be a cheap price to pay for peace of mind on the matter of wrong doing. YOUR BROTHER ALWAYS!

707 Pension update - McCaffrey has sent to the jobs the letters from the Dept. Of Labor regarding the pension fund audit and the findings....
IMO -
1 - If he sent a notice telling the participants there was an ongoing audit , that would have been timely and proper.
2- if he sent out a notice that the audit was completed in July of LAST YEAR ,right after the audit was completed , that would have been timely and proper .
3 - To send it out now , AFTER the notice of Insolvency and the fundraising for the retainer for the Forensic Audit has began is not timely ( unless you are him ) and insulting .

Please remember that there is a difference between an audit and a forensic audit .It is OUR Pension , why all the secrets ??
And the same government that audited the Fund is the same government that watched OUR pension go broke .The same government that audited OUR pension is the same government that changed the law and allowed OUR pension benefits , that WE worked for , for DECADES ,to be slashed by over 60 % .

next meeting is this Saturday 6/27/15 ..Doors open at 230PM ,meeting starts at 330 PM.. At - Black Rock Fish and Game Club ,5 Pleasant hill Rd
( off Rt. 32 ) Mountainville NY 10953 . To discuss Forensic audit , lack of fiduciary oversight , and legal action .

707 pension update- look in tomorrow's NY TIMES for an article on our chosen attorney, Ted Seidle, launching a forensic audit into a 300 billion dollar pension in California. .

so looking at the Notice of Insolvency - Ran some numbers -
We have 314 more retirees in 2014 than we did in 2000
Benefits paid out has increased by $ 20,801,117 ($20 million plus)
that equals a 44 year pension at $115 per credit at 13 payments per year of over $5000 per month .....
Want to bet not one of those 314 retirees get anywhere near $67,000 per year ?????????

for those of you on Facebook - New page for the group - 707 Pension forensic Audit - is another way to stay up on current events . Only those who have paid the $120 towards the audit will be allowed to join - keeps the rats out..........

next meeting for concerned participants of the 707 Pension Fund is Saturday July 25,2015 at 3 PM .The meeting place is the Elks Lodge , 901 Lakeville Rd. New Hyde Park NY 11040 . Please spread the word . For Active and Retirees .