ABF | A Brilliant Accounting Move (even If I Do Say So)

6PakAbs

TB Veteran
Credits
OK guys..and gals...I always knew in retirement that you'd have a lot more time on your hands (For T/B).

So--Since ABF Freight System was so adept at absorbing almost bankrupt carriers (See Carolina Freight Carriers Corporation--CFCC), and then so became a charade in ArcBest, wouldn't it be (as President 41 George HW Bush used to say) wouldn't it be " prudent "for ArcBest look into the purchase of YRCW.

Just think about it..brilliant accounting move.. Stock price is almost nothing..don't pay into hwp (or much anyway--not sure of the lastest deal), wage reductions, nicer terminals/property (ABF was never known for nicer terminals)--See OD on that one..

Then the brilliant minds in Fort Smith can then spout off to the Teamsters Union that they "saved, yet another union line" and then get all the concessions that it needed. The accountants then could put any kind of "positive spin" on any kind of movement...
but, they would have to figure out how to keep from paying misplaced executives billions of "Zollars", er, I meant Dollar$. Hey BubbaGump on the 3rd Floor, please share with Judy..on the other hand, maybe not..she might get let go.

Even can figure out how the COVD-19 virus was solved in the merger..protecting employees...from combining two infested areas into only one..now I am just giving them ideas on the "positive spin"...no charges for my advice.

Brilliant..what duh ya think? What would the merger be called..ABFYRCWCFCC...
just alphabet soup?

Last edited:
OK guys..and gals...I always knew in retirement that you'd have a lot more time on your hands (For T/B).

So--Since ABF Freight System was so adept at absorbing almost bankrupt carriers (See Carolina Freight Carriers Corporation--CFCC), and then so became a charade in ArcBest, wouldn't it be (as President 41 George HW Bush used to say) wouldn't it be " prudent "for ArcBest look into the purchase of YRCW.

Just think about it..brilliant accounting move.. Stock price is almost nothing..don't pay into hwp (or much anyway--not sure of the lastest deal), wage reductions, nicer terminals/property (ABF was never known for nicer terminals)--See OD on that one..

Then the brilliant minds in Fort Smith can then spout off to the Teamsters Union that they "saved, yet another union line" and then get all the concessions that it needed. The accountants then could put any kind of "positive spin" on any kind of movement...
but, they would have to figure out how to keep from paying misplaced executives billions of "Zollars", er, I meant Dollar$. Hey BubbaGump on the 3rd Floor, please share with Judy..on the other hand, maybe not..she might get let go.

Even can figure out how the COVD-19 virus was solved in the merger..protecting employees...from combining two infested areas into only one..now I am just giving them ideas on the "positive spin"...no charges for my advice.

just alphabet soup?

Think of the millions they'd have to spend re-painting that awful......orange?.....paint off all those tractors......
Think of the thousands of former Roadway/ Holland/Yellow low--level management and dispatcher/clerk types they'd have to let go....and are unemployable due to their passive-aggressive anger issues,.....debilitating learning issues,.....and just plain unfitness for any job requiring then to deal with the public in an honest and fair way.....
I mean,....the State's DMV's can hire only so many surly, ill-educated people.....

Think of ArcBest upper management being "infected" by even casual association with YRC upper management people......
There goes any last shred of ethics and decency........

I don't know, Brother......Even the Titanic had lifeboats as they went down....
YRCW doesn't even have rubber ducky inflatables......

Not a good move to buy and absorb endless debt. Would put ARCBEST out of business. Remember YRC buy Roadway? the beginning of its demise.
Probably correct. It would be a better move to just go after the freight that a YRC failure would leave behind.

Not a good move to buy and absorb endless debt. Would put ARCBEST out of business. Remember YRC buy Roadway? the beginning of its demise.
what was the logic in buying CFCC? Wouldn't they have been out of biz as well? Not sure..just asking...what did ABF gain ..
(don't count my loss of 6 spots on the seniority board--that is irrelevant..) What was the gain...I think it almost put ABF out of biz?

just alphabet soup?
And after purchase ,every one goes to full rate at YRC and entails ABF if it’s a buy out ,not a merger ABF just inherited 800 million in debt and then there stock price tumbled to nothing absorbing a mountain of debt ,That will never happen .The shareholders at ABF won’t let it happen.Wake up because your dream would be a nightmare.One year after the merger with Carolina ,They still could not find lost trailers or freight.Nice try anyway .Next time,Don’t stand so close to the fire boy .Smoke will get in your eyes.

And after purchase ,every one goes to full rate at YRC and entails ABF if it’s a buy out ,not a merger ABF just inherited 800 million in debt and then there stock price tumbled to nothing absorbing a mountain of debt ,That will never happen .The shareholders at ABF won’t let it happen.Wake up because your dream would be a nightmare.One year after the merger with Carolina ,They still could not find lost trailers or freight.Nice try anyway .Next time,Don’t stand so close to the fire boy .Smoke will get in your eyes.
Agree....100%

thanks for the economics lesson. With my 2 shares of ARCB (just to keep in the loop)..I'd never let my < $50 stop them from anything! Smoke is in my eyes!

Maybe ArcBest would be better off buying a ...Grocery Chain........Supervalu is fairly profitable.........
And,....Many restaurants and supermarkets are in....residential areas.....
ArcBest could combine Home deliveries with Restaurant deliveries!

You could offer Reefer service with U-Packs! Drop Relo-Cubes behind restaurants,...for instant storage! Every peddle run have a two-wheeler and a deck board!

To Hell with that "Long, Ugly, Heavy," Non-Stackable" Freight that YRC would bring in......Go with Groceries! Everything on a Pallet! Everything in a Box!

Maybe ArcBest would be better off buying a ...Grocery Chain........Supervalu is fairly profitable.........

You could offer Reefer service with U-Packs! Drop Relo-Cubes behind restaurants,...for instant storage! Every peddle run have a two-wheeler and a deck board!

To Hell with that "Long, Ugly, Heavy," Non-Stackable" Freight that YRC would bring in......Go with Groceries! Everything on a Pallet! Everything in a Box!
It’s all about cube and capacity and dementions today.The days prior to Carolina It was weight and Bill count on the trailer.ABF didn’t have all barn doors for nothing.Many times ,did I have to back a trailer up to the dock, just to close the doors.ABF has stated publicly that they want out of the LTL truck business.No profit ,at 90 % discounts.

It’s all about cube and capacity and dementions today.The days prior to Carolina It was weight and Bill count on the trailer.ABF didn’t have all barn doors for nothing.Many times ,did I have to back a trailer up to the dock, just to close the doors.ABF has stated publicly that they want out of the LTL truck business.No profit ,at 90 % discounts.
They make to much money in ltl to get out. They tried to go a different route with panther & the other non union companies they bought but freight triples their revenue....

After working for a grocery company for about 12 yrs, Supervalu came in and bought it. They announced they wanted to move into the east coast market, and the Reading warehouse was the most profitable one. long story short the next year we were the most costly. By the fifth yr and using over million square ft in three buildings, we knew the end was near, because they wanted the union out. I left and signed on with Abf (that was in 98) before the other drivers were let go. If I remember it was only two yrs till they closed it all down and moved and got back into the area a couple of yrs later by buying Acme markets. They now move most of their loads with purchase trans and O&O's. So yes I have a bad taste for Supervalu.

They make to much money in ltl to get out. They tried to go a different route with panther & the other non union companies they bought but freight triples their revenue....
They may make money in volume,Bill count.In a down economy, profits are marginal at best.Don’t forget your insurance + pension + wages+ unemployment insurance +workman’s compensation.Factor all that in with your wages and benefits, that’s the cost that the employer bears.

This will not happen, it would bankrupt ArkBest. I don't know of any company that could absorb the massive debt except perhaps UPS. I went through the acquisitions from Youngblood, Navajo, ETMF & Worldway & yes the Worldway & ETMF purchases almost put the company out of business as did the takeover attempt. This would be ruled a merger as was the other acquisitions that would result in dovetailing seniority. A rule of any business it that the company must have growth to survive but buying YRC is not the profitable way to grow. ABF would sit by like buzzards waiting for YRC to go belly up & scavenge the remains.
I do remember when the last ABF contract was being negotiated other company sales people were out in force telling customers that there would be a long strike at ABF & they solicited freight by doing so.

True ,but after expenses,What’s left.Theres lots of overhead ,Wages pension liabilities costs that they don’t have with there scab outfits.-ABF is only part of the arcbest companies.

This will not happen, it would bankrupt ArkBest. I don't know of any company that could absorb the massive debt except perhaps UPS. I went through the acquisitions from Youngblood, Navajo, ETMF & Worldway & yes the Worldway & ETMF purchases almost put the company out of business as did the takeover attempt. This would be ruled a merger as was the other acquisitions that would result in dovetailing seniority. A rule of any business it that the company must have growth to survive but buying YRC is not the profitable way to grow. ABF would sit by like buzzards waiting for YRC to go belly up & scavenge the remains.
I do remember when the last ABF contract was being negotiated other company sales people were out in force telling customers that there would be a long strike at ABF & they solicited freight by doing so.
so, no one has answered my question (at least I am not smart enough to figure it out)...what did ABF Freight System truly gain with the World Way/Carolina Freight Carriers Corporation buyout? The net gain?