SAIA | A few questions

Champion bulldo

TB Lurker
Credits
1. How much typically is insurance for husband and wife a month?
2. As a new driver to saia will u get at least 40 hours a week?
3. How long before u are able to bid a route?
4. Does having many years of P&D experience count for anything with saia
5. I know about the cameras but are u allowed to eat ur lunch and drive like a sandwich or bag of chips
6. Do they take 30min out of ur pay for lunch if they make u stop and take it

Location?

The answer to most of the questions are dependent on which terminal & the local management... but yes you can eat/drink

Why do u say you'll be sorry? I get the cameras in the truck rub people the wrong way me personally I am not a fan of it either.

But they seem to pay well and from what I can find have pretty good benefits. What other companies would u take over saia?
The OT after 8 and no cameras is the only advantage at FedEx. SAIA does pay OT after 45 and the top pay scale is very close and not enough to matter. The big advantage SAIA has is the healthcare because it’s a much better plan for less cost. Most of these LTL companies are the same as far as the BS you must accept. If you have the opportunity at both I’d probably take FedEx but both are very good companies.

The OT after 8 and no cameras is the only advantage at FedEx. SAIA does pay OT after 45 and the top pay scale is very close and not enough to matter. The big advantage SAIA has is the healthcare because it’s a much better plan for less cost. Most of these LTL companies are the same as far as the BS you must accept. If you have the opportunity at both I’d probably take FedEx but both are very good companies.
The only thing I hear about fedex freight that I don't like is it takes a long time to get a consistent schedule. Not sure if saia does the same way as fedex but I definitely need at least 40 hours. Thank u for ur input

The only thing I hear about fedex freight that I don't like is it takes a long time to get a consistent schedule. Not sure if saia does the same way as fedex but I definitely need at least 40 hours. Thank u for ur input
You will be begging for time off at SAIA.... don’t worry about your 40. Most of the new hires start around 10-11 AM ..... But each terminal is different so just ask the TM at your particular terminal.

Another question if u don't mind

Does SAIA assign u with the same tractor or is it slip seat
New hires usually slip seat but it’s usually with the same linehaul driver and most all the tractors are new so that’s a plus. Just keep it clean and you won’t have any problems. Smoking or dipping could be a problem but other than that it’s all good. Having said that you still could get an assigned tractor. It really just depends on how many extra tractors your terminal has available.

New hires usually slip seat but it’s usually with the same linehaul driver and most all the tractors are new so that’s a plus. Just keep it clean and you won’t have any problems. Smoking or dipping could be a problem but other than that it’s all good. Having said that you still could get an assigned tractor. It really just depends on how many extra tractors your terminal has.
Thanks appreciate it

That's awesome hope ur enjoying ur retirement I have a long way to go try to get as.much info as I can on different places to figure out the best move for me
Another question how is SAIA insurance would just need to cover myself and wife I know free after 10 years but what about before that are premiums expensive? And is the coverage good?

Another question how is SAIA insurance would just need to cover myself and wife I know free after 10 years but what about before that are premiums expensive? And is the coverage good?
It was around $45 per week when I retired but I’ll have to ask my buddies to get current cost. Maybe some current employees could answer before I get the current cost. The plan is absolutely one of the best in LTL.

It was around $45 per week when I retired but I’ll have to ask my buddies to get current cost. Maybe some current employees could answer before I get the current cost. The plan is absolutely one of the best in LTL.
Thanks for all ur time this was very helpful and SAIA is at the top of my list and u help confirm why.