FedEx Freight | A Little NERVOUS

May I ask why you say Don't plan on future in line haul??

If you go to line haul you will spend 90% of your time on the dock. The only time you will drive will be when the weather turns to crap and the big boys decide to take the night off. Trust me been there done that! Stay in the city, learn to hustle and build a good relationship with your dispatch. If you are good at what you do they will take care of you.

Obviously being NEW, I'm not understanding the difference. it seems when you guys say that'll be GROUND it is a different company, is that the case? Is a different division like a different company?

It is part of the same corporation, but a different division. Ground does packages, we do freight. Two different companies owned by the same corporation.

It's not always negative driver. Once you get in you could possibly transfer to a busy small service center area. Not sure.where you live around there and relocation may not be an option. It's just a huge center like CGT has an extra board a mile deep and runs/ freight are constantly changing. At a small service center your freight will always be there and need to be moved. I have been here 2 years. I have probably not worked 2 nights in those 2 years and currently run 2800 some miles a week. It isn't always bad. If it were me I would ask questions and start to research smaller area centers to eventually transfer too....just my 2 cents.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

I noticed that your CMH terminal as big as it is doesnt have much freight at all moving through its docks. On the other hand your DAY terminal seems to have more freight than it can handle...Wonder Why?

It is part of the same corporation, but a different division. Ground does packages, we do freight. Two different companies owned by the same corporation.

Yes, we run freight, but corporate thinks it's the exact same as packages.

Yes. Stay local. I have friends that have been line drivers for many, many years. They DO spend most of their time on docks. Only the very senior guys have actual runs that pay good money. We're talking 25-30 year guys. Guys on the bottom, well, they sit home a lot.

Local is no piece of cake either. But once you get it down, it's not bad. It used to make a lot more sense, but the people making the policies don't really understand what the job actually entails, so they demand more, then put obstacles in our way.

Welcome..... good luck. Just keep your head down, don't say anything, don't stick your neck out, and just do as you're told. Don't try to do extra cause they don't appreciate it and you might screw something up and they will hang you.

It all depends on your location.

At bigger hub areas,yeah,its gonna be dock work.

However,if you get in with a medium sized terminal during a growth,you can jump up fast.

I transfered over to Freight about 4 years ago,and passed on several chances to go to the road. In that time,we have added about 26 new runs,and I would have been able to hold a pretty decent run (500mi) or be #4 on the extra board.
Still,I moved up quick in the city. When I hired on,I was #14 out of 14 city drivers. When they added to the road,a lot of the city guys above me jumped. Now,I am #6 out of 22 city drivers.

Its all about location.

I came at a good time. I hired on,worked on the dock a week,and went straight to a route. When we had the merger,I got kicked back to the dock for all of 4 days,they added8 road runs,and I was right back in the city.
Its not as hopeless as everyone would lead you to believe

Yeah that'll be a Fedex Ground Operations out in R'ville. Sheesh! Maybe I can get a part-time job out there......with how things on the road board here are going....the future seems to be looking bleek through my eyes.....but then again I do wear glasses.......

Fedex Express, Ground, Freight, Custom Critical, Trade Networks, Home Delivery....All independant operating divisions under the main umbrella we call FEDEX....from what I understand soon every operating division will have and just have the FedEx.Com logo on all equipment......corrrect me if I'm wrong????