ABF | A MESSAGE FROM SEAN O’BRIEN ON THE ABF VOTE

ReformTeamster

TB Lurker
Credits
IBT VP Sean O'Brien posted a message last night on the Joint Council 10 Facebook page. The link is below. But for those that don't have a Facebook profile, and so can't see the page where the link leads, I have copied the text and posted it below the link.

https://www.facebook.com/newengland...2950245120527/232245844190966/?type=3&theater

A MESSAGE FROM SEAN O’BRIEN ON THE ABF VOTE

On March 10 ABF Teamsters voted to accept a national contract that settled far short of what could have been achieved in this economic environment. New England Teamsters rejected the contract by a vote of 174-14 and around the country nine regional supplements failed.

Why did these supplements fail? For the first time, the International took the power to negotiate pension and health and welfare rates out of the hands of regional negotiators. In New England, the International failed to even contact our pension fund to find out the funding levels it needed. Never before in freight has a negotiating team not consulted with the pension funds to find out the members’ needs.

The ABF contract offer was so destructive to Teamster pensions that—in an unprecedented move—New England locals petitioned the General Executive Board to pull the offer and send negotiators back to the table before tonight’s vote took place. Unfortunately, 13 of 22 GEB members, including New England’s own International Vice President John Murphy, voted to throw Joint Council 10’s members—and their pensions—under the bus.

But the proposal’s deficiencies go beyond harming the pension fund. The ABF contract fell short on a myriad of issues:

• WAGES: At a time when trucking demand is at an all time high and the industry is suffering from a shortage of qualified drivers, the International only came up with a 1.2 percent raise. That’s nothing compared to the $1.70 we lost the last time Hoffa went to the table. That means after this contract, ABF Teamsters will be back to where they were in 2008.

• SUBCONTRACTING: Nothing was done to stem the tide of Teamster work migrating to subcontractors across the country.

• WEAKENING CONTRACT ENFORCEMENT: By creating an ABF-only grievance panel, this contract allows the company to deadlock every grievance, every time.

• HEALTH CARE LOOPHOLES: Health care is always in the details and this deal allows ABF to make lesser payments to certain funds, which will force benefit cuts.

Working hand-in-hand, ABF, Wall Street and Team Hoffa lobbied hard for a YES vote. They pulled out all the stops by using mail, robocalls and social media and could only manage a partial victory.

I’m proud of the loud message New England Teamsters and those others who voted no sent to Hoffa. We will not accept concessions from a profitable company. And when our national leaders don’t care about our concerns, we will be heard with our votes. We will fight—and fight hard—before we give back what it took generations to earn.

#newenglandteamsters #abfteamsters #standstrong #fightback

IBT VP Sean O'Brien posted a message last night on the Joint Council 10 Facebook page. The link is below. But for those that don't have a Facebook profile, and so can't see the page where the link leads, I have copied the text and posted it below the link.

https://www.facebook.com/newengland...2950245120527/232245844190966/?type=3&theater

A MESSAGE FROM SEAN O’BRIEN ON THE ABF VOTE

On March 10 ABF Teamsters voted to accept a national contract that settled far short of what could have been achieved in this economic environment. New England Teamsters rejected the contract by a vote of 174-14 and around the country nine regional supplements failed.

Why did these supplements fail? For the first time, the International took the power to negotiate pension and health and welfare rates out of the hands of regional negotiators. In New England, the International failed to even contact our pension fund to find out the funding levels it needed. Never before in freight has a negotiating team not consulted with the pension funds to find out the members’ needs.

The ABF contract offer was so destructive to Teamster pensions that—in an unprecedented move—New England locals petitioned the General Executive Board to pull the offer and send negotiators back to the table before tonight’s vote took place. Unfortunately, 13 of 22 GEB members, including New England’s own International Vice President John Murphy, voted to throw Joint Council 10’s members—and their pensions—under the bus.

But the proposal’s deficiencies go beyond harming the pension fund. The ABF contract fell short on a myriad of issues:

• WAGES: At a time when trucking demand is at an all time high and the industry is suffering from a shortage of qualified drivers, the International only came up with a 1.2 percent raise. That’s nothing compared to the $1.70 we lost the last time Hoffa went to the table. That means after this contract, ABF Teamsters will be back to where they were in 2008.

• SUBCONTRACTING: Nothing was done to stem the tide of Teamster work migrating to subcontractors across the country.

• WEAKENING CONTRACT ENFORCEMENT: By creating an ABF-only grievance panel, this contract allows the company to deadlock every grievance, every time.

• HEALTH CARE LOOPHOLES: Health care is always in the details and this deal allows ABF to make lesser payments to certain funds, which will force benefit cuts.

Working hand-in-hand, ABF, Wall Street and Team Hoffa lobbied hard for a YES vote. They pulled out all the stops by using mail, robocalls and social media and could only manage a partial victory.

I’m proud of the loud message New England Teamsters and those others who voted no sent to Hoffa. We will not accept concessions from a profitable company. And when our national leaders don’t care about our concerns, we will be heard with our votes. We will fight—and fight hard—before we give back what it took generations to earn.

#newenglandteamsters #abfteamsters #standstrong #fightback

I respect that man for speaking the truth!!!

I think Sean is setting himself up to run for IBT President. That's not to say what he says or feels is untrue, but being so vocal will help his cause.

You'll remember Hoffa removed him as chair of the UPS negotiations because he appointed Fred Zuckerman. Poor move by Hoffa, imo.

I'd certainly consider backing anyone with a sack to replace Hoffa and his yes men.

I think Sean is setting himself up to run for IBT President. That's not to say what he says or feels is untrue, but being so vocal will help his cause.

You'll remember Hoffa removed him as chair of the UPS negotiations because he appointed Fred Zuckerman. Poor move by Hoffa, imo.

I'd certainly consider backing anyone with a sack to replace Hoffa and his yes men.
I'll vote for him, guaranteed.

Sean O’Brien extented a olive branch to Fred Zuckerman and the TDU faction.He was removed from the position of UPS director .And he did mention to the Boston Globe last year that he would consider a run for the IBT presidency.

Well if you have first hand information and are a local 25 member ,please share your thoughts and insight We would all like to hear them .This is truckin boards.

I am not not from Local 25 or have any inside information. Just a gut feeling.

I hope for the sake of the membership, and the IBT, that you finally get honest leadership. I’ve been out of the union a long time, and the nonsense pulled during deregulation is why. Quite frankly, the members got hosed on this contract by the company AND the people that had the job of representing them. I spent 12 years at IML, and, as bad as it was then, I think it has gotten worse. I work non-union now, but I never met anyone on my side of the business who wanted to see you all go through this. What is happening to you all is dead wrong, and you’ve been betrayed by your company and you leadership both

I hope for the sake of the membership, and the IBT, that you finally get honest leadership. I’ve been out of the union a long time, and the nonsense pulled during deregulation is why. Quite frankly, the members got hosed on this contract by the company AND the people that had the job of representing them. I spent 12 years at IML, and, as bad as it was then, I think it has gotten worse. I work non-union now, but I never met anyone on my side of the business who wanted to see you all go through this. What is happening to you all is dead wrong, and you’ve been betrayed by your company and you leadership both
IML ,like didn’t they close in like 84 .andyour still working,driving a truck:17113::hilarious: This is what happens when you don’t have any retirement savings

IML ,like didn’t they close in like 84 .andyour still working,driving a truck:17113::hilarious: This is what happens when you don’t have any retirement savings
I can retire any time I want to. I choose to work to be able to help family, and quite honestly, I like the people I work for and the ones I work with. So while you’re busy laughing, you might think about this. You slam non-union, and there are some bad ones, but in 35 years where I’m at, I have never had to put up with half of the BS that the people at YRC have had to deal with. If you want to laugh at someone who has had a good career in a great industry with good people, be my guest. Maybe it would be more productive to work together to make this business better for everyone, union and non-union alike.

Here is a thought for you to pick apart. There are approximately 8,500 union employees at ABF. If the average pay is $72,800 a year (that is $2,000 less than I earned last year) or $1,400 a week. So 8,500 X $1,400 =$11,900,000. Also, $0.30 hour raise X 45 hours a week x 52 weeks x 8,500 employees = $5,967,000 a year. Add $11,900,000 = $ 17,867,000 a year. That does not include wages for casual employees who cover vacationing employees shifts. Or any other additional expenses. I can think of 3 or 4 additional expenses at the moment but that should get you started.

Here is a thought for you to pick apart. There are approximately 8,500 union employees at ABF. If the average pay is $72,800 a year (that is $2,000 less than I earned last year) or $1,400 a week. So 8,500 X $1,400 =$11,900,000. Also, $0.30 hour raise X 45 hours a week x 52 weeks x 8,500 employees = $5,967,000 a year. Add $11,900,000 = $ 17,867,000 a year. That does not include wages for casual employees who cover vacationing employees shifts. Or any other additional expenses. I can think of 3 or 4 additional expenses at the moment but that should get you started.

Shouldn't that be at 40 hours a week,....vs. 45? And,.....there's an hourly rate to the pension/H & W cost also....that never gets added to the above costs.

But,.....the figures you present to pick apart,...are the natural cost of doing business. And,....they are usually passed along to the customer.

Presuming most freight rates are within a few dollars of each other,......Union and non-Union carriers alike.......and that apparently Union carriers are "surviving".......(...and quite well, thank you,.....if you look at recent earnings reports..)......then the natural assumption would be that, on a fairly level "playing field",...as far as freight rates go,.....Union carriers are still pocketing a profit, in spite of covering the hourly wage,...the overtime wage that many non-Union carriers don't have,......the defined-benefit pension cost,...that many non-Union carriers don't have,.......the entire cost of the H & W plan,...that many non-Union carriers require their employees to chip into,.....

And are still able to purchase new equipment,...."asset-light" acquisitions,.......compete effectively for freight rates,.....give out corporate bonuses like candy,.....and ...satisfy the shareholders.....

So,....the postulation would be: Just HOW MUCH money is in LTL freight?........And ...How POORLY are the guys who DO the actual work,.....Union AND non-Union,.......compensated?

Ad in today's newspaper : "Carpenters.....$33.00 an hour to start...."

And it goes without saying that NO CDL is needed.........

You are correct on the 45hrs, but I figure this is the trucking industry and most employees are going to work 3 to 5 hours overtime each week. And 45 hours is equal to 3.33 hrs at 1.5%. So, this contract is going to cost ABF at minimum of $17.8 million more a year than the last contract. And I agree that our wages should be higher but a company can price themselves out of business when their fixed and adjustable costs exceed what the market will bear. Still, a minimum of $17.8 million dollars (not including $8.5 million in vote buying, social security increases, etc.) is not a small increase in costs for the company; and that is what was negotiated in this contract. I wonder if IBT VP Sean O'Brien could have done better?

You are correct on the 45hrs, but I figure this is the trucking industry and most employees are going to work 3 to 5 hours overtime each week. And 45 hours is equal to 3.33 hrs at 1.5%. So, this contract is going to cost ABF at minimum of $17.8 million more a year than the last contract. And I agree that our wages should be higher but a company can price themselves out of business when their fixed and adjustable costs exceed what the market will bear. Still, a minimum of $17.8 million dollars (not including $8.5 million in vote buying, social security increases, etc.) is not a small increase in costs for the company; and that is what was negotiated in this contract. I wonder if IBT VP Sean O'Brien could have done better?
We gave back roughly $5000 to $6000 per year in concessions for each full time Union employee in the 2013-2018 contract and this was the best they could do on our new contract? I would hope that Sean O'Brien could have done much better. $1100 plus each year lost in the vacation concession and another $4000 to $5000 lost each year in wage concessions (7% pay cut) from 2013-2018. We were making more per hour in March of 2013 than we were making per hour in March of 2017. It's not just the pay that sucks in this new contract, the language changes (like in Article 3) are going to hurt us as well as the PT language for the road drivers.

The amount of the windfall tax decrease that Mr. Trump said should go to the...."working class",........far, far exceeds $17.8 million. Now, ArcBest gets to...pocket....the bulk of that, instead of "sharing" it with their workers , as was Mr. Trump's stated intentions for requesting a corporate tax break......

Dang right we are underpaid........(oops! I'm retired,.....I meant: "Dang right, my former co-workers are....underpaid..)

What is "$8.5 million in ...vote-buying"? I'm not being obtuse,....it's just that I think "vote-buying" shouldn't be part of a corporation's cost of doing business....

Maybe,...instead of buying votes,...they should've spent that $8.5 million on their greatest asset,....their employees....

Maybe you're referring to Sen. Mitch McConnell"s speech in where he stated on the floor of Congress: "Money is Free Speech.",........which belies the question: "How much Free Speech can you afford? And,...how much can your Employer afford?"

My personal opinion is that Mr. O'Brien wouldn't have used any sort of subtle tricks,....like a "rumor" of an immediate strike in the event of a "NO" vote on the contract. I think Mr. O'Brien wouldn't have fallen for the corporate "we're so poor, and barely hanging on..." tune..........

I think we would've had a much more productive negotiating session.....an honest session, absent tricks and propaganda, that marked the last two contracts with ArcBest.