XPO | Aaaahhhh...Cameras

driverslo

TB Lurker
Credits
Good news! Our terminal is 'trying out' new cameras that catch every movement you make in the truck: eating, smoking, holding your cell phone. Oh, and it will capture every 'following too close' without you having to brake hard! _Plus more I'm sure...
And if they are piloting it now, they are buying them for the future. So for one middle-management employee to show he is a stud by pushing these cameras, it threatens everyone's jobs...

After I heard that I went to a camera website...Dang it! I think they have some cameras that can count your nose hairs!

Anyway, it might be a good idea to let new drivers, and ones with less than a year know so they can make decisions for themselves and families. Who would want to invest time in a company now that will pick at you like this. "Death by a thousand cuts."

After they fire everyone, they will eliminate the cameras and go back to the old system.

Or, maybe I am just paranoid.
Make sure you recruit new drivers so they can get fired for scratching their noses while driving...

Good news! Our terminal is 'trying out' new cameras that catch every movement you make in the truck: eating, smoking, holding your cell phone. Oh, and it will capture every 'following too close' without you having to brake hard! _Plus more I'm sure...
And if they are piloting it now, they are buying them for the future. So for one middle-management employee to show he is a stud by pushing these cameras, it threatens everyone's jobs...

After I heard that I went to a camera website...Dang it! I think they have some cameras that can count your nose hairs!

Anyway, it might be a good idea to let new drivers, and ones with less than a year know so they can make decisions for themselves and families. Who would want to invest time in a company now that will pick at you like this. "Death by a thousand cuts."

After they fire everyone, they will eliminate the cameras and go back to the old system.

Make sure you recruit new drivers so they can get fired for scratching their noses while driving...
It only threatens your job if you are doing something against the law, or against company policy.

As much as I liked to drive, if ABF put cameras in looking @ me I would take a dock bid. I retired in Jan 2016 & the previous 5 years I installed each day in my city tractor my personal dash camera. To protect me & the company. Management had no complaints. It's not a he said she said, but what the camera said. A couple of rank & file thought I shouldn't be using my camera. I told them I respected their position, but I was using the camera to protect my lively hood, not theirs. 1 time (non accident) the video from the dash cam protected me from a false allegation. Money well spent. von.

Not trying to promote a brand, but the 'DOD 430' dash cam I bought 10 years ago is still going strong & produces almost a broadcast quality video. Both are mounted in my 2 vehicles with glued suction cups to the glass. Pretty cheap insurance. A lot of us buy guns to protect our home & family. Why not a camera? von.

As much as I liked to drive, if ABF put cameras in looking @ me I would take a dock bid. I retired in Jan 2016 & the previous 5 years I installed each day in my city tractor my personal dash camera. To protect me & the company. Management had no complaints. It's not a he said she said, but what the camera said. A couple of rank & file thought I shouldn't be using my camera. I told them I respected their position, but I was using the camera to protect my lively hood, not theirs. 1 time (non accident) the video from the dash cam protected me from a false allegation. Money well spent. von.
This is great idea. You don’t have to share what’s captured, however, if you captured an accident say, and decided not to share it and an attorney found out you had the camera, I’d be willing to bet that it could be subpoenaed and used against you. I personally would take the chance anyway.

I would imagine it is the insurance companies that give a big discount to cameras in the tractor looking both ways versus no discount without a camera. Just a guess but I'll bet it's right. von

I would imagine it is the insurance companies that give a big discount to cameras in the tractor looking both ways versus no discount without a camera. Just a guess but I'll bet it's right. von
Your spot on ! It’s a double edge sword. Yes, there’s a discount but there’s also high liability . When you have cameras facing inward it relieves that liability when the driver can be proven at fault. Also a good legal team can call for past drivecam events for a driver. If a company ignores bad behavior it can the be held liable . The company is willing to put your job security aside for a discount . How did we ever get along without the cameras.
The best and safest drivers will be called on drivecam given enough time.

This is great idea. You don’t have to share what’s captured, however, if you captured an accident say, and decided not to share it and an attorney found out you had the camera, I’d be willing to bet that it could be subpoenaed and used against you. I personally would take the chance anyway.
By the time they get around to The subpoena being served the evidence is disappeared. Depending on the size SD card you have in your camera the time frame kept as the previous four six or eight hours and it's over written once it reaches that point so the subpoena might work but a smart operator would make sure that the evidence isn't there anymore. Also the SD card your honor that was used that was filming at the time was corrupted and I couldn't save the image. To go on and on but you get the drift.

By the time they get around to The subpoena being served the evidence is disappeared. Depending on the size SD card you have in your camera the time frame kept as the previous four six or eight hours and it's over written once it reaches that point so the subpoena might work but a smart operator would make sure that the evidence isn't there anymore. Also the SD card your honor that was used that was filming at the time was corrupted and I couldn't save the image. To go on and on but you get the drift.
Sorry to say but cop are getting smart.. When I ran as a Vol firefighter I seen cops take the drive cams as evidence. Before all you CDL lawyers speak up...Yes he can take it, he just look at it until he gets a warrant, just like you cellphone, and the computer system in your car...
Also car like Telsa have cameras built into them. There a whole youtube channel for it

Don't get mad get even. How do you get even? Join management then you can spy on yourself and the rest of the game. Vaughn. Just kidding

Some states are two party consent which means a person cannot be recorded without his consent. Do not sign anything at work if you don't understand it. If they say you will loose you're job by refusing get an attorney or at least get the business agent.

They can record that stuff but the contract says they can't use it for discipline. Electronic stuff can be hacked. We had a guy called on the carpet for cussing out another driver, blowing the air horn, stopping abruptly etc. If the person who called you out is not a member of management, ignore him. If he is, ask if this is an investigation. Either yes or no answer tell him to put in writing. Every day hit the air horn...what can they do? Article and section please.
Some states are two party consent which means a person cannot be recorded without his consent. Do not sign anything at work if you don't understand it. If they say you will loose you're job by refusing get an attorney or at least get the business agent.

They can record that stuff but the contract says they can't use it for discipline. Electronic stuff can be hacked. We had a guy called on the carpet for cussing out another driver, blowing the air horn, stopping abruptly etc. If the person who called you out is not a member of management, ignore him. If he is, ask if this is an investigation. Either yes or no answer tell him to put in writing. Every day hit the air horn...what can they do? Article and section please.
Xpo drivers in non represented barns are subject to all what ever the company deems a violation and disapline up to an including termination. The company does not have to adhere to any written policy. They company can change policy daily if it wants to . Legal recourse by a driver that feels the company did not follow its own written policy does not stand a chance . Unless you have a legal contract drivecam violations are at the sole discretion of the company under the terms of employment at will .

You are exactly right. It’s the insurance companies dangling the ‘saving money’ carrot in front of these CEO’s/CFO’s faces. The saddest part is the rank & ‘fooled’ have no recourse against getting these intrusive, ridiculous devices installed because there’s no...ahem, union...to represent them in this matter.

The saddest part is the rank & ‘fooled’ have no recourse against getting these intrusive, ridiculous devices installed because there’s no...ahem, union...to represent them in this matter.
They had the option but rejected it. They now have to live with their choice. Run 100% compliant all the time and your fine.
Drivecam will close in and tighten over time. When it first was introduced it was a coaching tool . Then it became a means to terminate. Example : seatbelts must be worn on public roads only. Now you must wear it on company property and customer parking lots . Coaching today ... 3 strikes your out to follow. It will close in even tighter as time goes on . ... but you made your choice . Stay perfect. As new hire quality deteriorates ( which it will ) the company will be forced to tighten up on policy/terminations . It’s a fact . It will be their only means of insuring compliance. Good drivers WILL get caught up in this tighten survalance.

Last edited:
They had the option but rejected it. They now have to live with their choice. Run 100% compliant all the time and your fine.
Drivecam will close in and tighten over time. When it first was introduced it was a coaching tool . Then it became a means to terminate. Example : seatbelts must be worn on public roads only. Now you must wear it on company property and customer parking lots . Coaching today ... 3 strikes your out to follow. It will close in even tighter as time goes on . ... but you made your choice . Stay perfect. As new hire quality deteriorates ( which it will ) the company will be forced to tighten up on policy/terminations . It’s a fact . It will be their only means of insuring compliance. Good drivers WILL get caught up in this tighten survalance.
If by ‘good’ drivers, you mean older (more prone to injury/illness), tenured (4-6 weeks vacation/PTO) drivers (more ‘expensive’ to keep employed), then you are AGAIN correct, 666. XPO would be more than happy to dump those guys for the slightest ‘infraction’. Three strikes and you’re out? Bullcrap, if you’re over 50.