Aarp...

pro1driver

I don't wanna go fishing, even though i got stuff
Credits
ok people, this may have been discussed before, but in any event...

once many of us either reach or surpass an age, the AARP starts sending out mail to you.

so please, be honest and sincere in your responses, if you do not mind.

do any of you currently belong to the AARP....??

have any of you, been a member of AARP and dropped membership, and if so, why..???

i got in today's mail, a membership application, for either a 1 year, up to a 5 year plan.....

thanks in advance to all that respond...

i just noticed in the thread/posting title, i did not use all caps for AARP...dammit.......if a mod/admin can fix that..thanks a whole lot..!!

I've been a member of AARP for over 15 years. IMO it's a good organization and worth the few bucks a year. If for nothing else it's good for the discounts on hotels, and car rentals etc.

It's little more than a lobbying group that does a fantastic job of preventing the government from passing more driving restrictions to get dangerous elderly drivers off the road.

I've been a member since 2004. It's alright for what it costs per year. I also use their roadside assistance program which I like. They have always come to our rescue. The only complaint I have about AARP is they will start hounding you to renew about 6 months before your renewal date.

It's little more than a lobbying group that does a fantastic job of preventing the government from passing more driving restrictions to get dangerous elderly drivers off the road.

I thought that was what the police were for. I'm glad AARP lobby's in the senior's interests. I don't want to have to give up my driving privileges based on my age.

They have a competitor too

https://amac.us/

i never heard of these people. after reading some of the information provided. whenever i go to say mickey d's, or dunkin donuts, i always see an AARP membership card posted on the window. i have never seen any AMAC however......

well considering that someday i too (and you) will be a dangerous elderly driver(s)......that's a good thing. but seriously, i'll have to get more info on what they are really doing for the elderly, besides saving thier right to freedom (and drive if they are capable of and need to). once a driving privilege is taken away, a person's freedom and independence is also taken away. of course i want safe roads for everyone, but if an elderly person can demonstrate he or she can handle a vehicle, then they should continue to drive...

i suppose nearly the same thing can be said of dangerous truckers......and we all know THEY are out there....

please keep up any more information, if any of you have joined, or have given up AARP membership.

reading the websites of each organization is (to me) part bull, part truth. first hand experience as a member tells me more. any non-member is only giving an opinion, which can be of some help, but is not as informational as a former or current member.

I thought that was what the police were for. I'm glad AARP lobby's in the senior's interests. I don't want to have to give up my driving privileges based on my age.

well here in my state, if an "adult child" of an elderly driver, thinks that his/her mom or dad are dangerous, we can call our DMV and report our parent, anonymously, give them information, and they will take steps to test the elderly person in question and take away the license if need be.
now the DMV will know who you are, but your parents will never know who reported him/her.

a doctor can do the same thing on your behalf.

it is very hard to look your parent in the face, and YOU take away thier freedom, so this takes that burden off of you.

even though you would be doing the best thing possible......you are on such a guilt trip, YOU wish YOU had died.....

AARP is also deeply involved in protecting all retiree pensions. There is a lobbying effort by the NCCMP that's trying to get congress to change ERISA's anti-cut back rule. AARP has proposed alternative solutions to congress. This is not a union thing it's all retirees in a defined benefits pension plan that could be affected if the law is changed

The anti-cutback rule under tax code Section
411(d)(6) provides that a plan can’t be amended to retroactively
eliminate or reduce a pension benefit that has
already accrued by the date of the adoption of the
amendment.
The anti-cutback rule also prevents an employer from
amending a qualified plan to retroactively eliminate optional
benefit forms or to eliminate or reduce early retirement
benefits or a retirement-type subsidy. Changes
may be made on a prospective basis with respect to
benefits that have not yet been accrued as of the
amendment’s adoption date.
David Certner, legislative counsel for AARP told
Bloomberg BNA in an e-mail that the senior citizens
group’s chief concern with the NCCMP proposal is that
it would permit the reduction of accrued retirement
benefits, which directly contradicts the ‘‘fundamental’’
anti-cutback rule under ERISA.
http://www.pensionrights.org/sites/...ployer_plans_-_k2_quoted_-_banner_version.pdf

We belong to AMAC, have no interest in aarp. AMAC tends to be more political center right than aarp that leans more center left.

I think y'all are confused. AARP....is what I did after breakfast this morning. Wife said I was rude and crude. Go figure.