ABF | ABF and the Teamsters agree to a "voluntary" 70hr/8 day

ABF381

TB Veteran
Super Moderator
Credits
So the Teamsters and ABF have agreed on a 70/8 log with a 34 hour reset.....voluntary for the employee....of course, they will just change the ELD to reflect this rather than asking the employee if they want theirs changed....if it is truly voluntary that is what they should do.....very unhappy with this....I guess I will have to just do recaps everyday....

Local people will be able to go from 60 in 7 days to 70 in 8 with a mandatory restart if they volunteer to work an extra day. If they make this a mandatory thing in the next contract the only difference between a UE driver and a road driver will be how each is paid ( hourly vs mileage) and that a UE driver has to return to their home domicile every day. Good luck to all!

Local people will be able to go from 60 in 7 days to 70 in 8 with a mandatory restart if they volunteer to work an extra day. If they make this a mandatory thing in the next contract the only difference between a UE driver and a road driver will be how each is paid ( hourly vs mileage) and that a UE driver has to return to their home domicile every day. Good luck to all!
I know of some letters issued for Failure To Protect Your Bid.
If you work an OT shift and don't have the 10 hours off to cover your bid.
Also if you were to work that extra shift and have a few long days during the week you will run out of hours before your next days off. Had a few run out of hours on Friday and could not cover their bid result more paper with your name on it.
Take a dock bid and work yourself to death.
ABF is looking to sell casket space under the dock for those who need a resting place.
Your Labor man out West has this down.....

Has anyone seen a hard copy of this agreement at any ABF terminal? I have read it on Facebook but no one I have spoken with has actually seen it posted.

But if it is true, my plan of attack is to never take 34 continuous hours off. How about after 24 hours off I log onto samsara and put 1 minute on duty reviewing safety material?

But I will be surprised if this agreement is true. Why would the union give the company this gift without asking for something in exchange? Especially this close to contract negotiations.

What do you mean "woke?" They are an institution that grinds bodies into an early grave to make a profit. That doesn't seem terribly woke.
You won't see that at our barn. Guy's won't come in if it's to hot outside. So they are building a climate controlled terminal. The older dock hands worked no matter what. The new guys won't so the company will accommodate them. Just like the new road driver's that won't drive in the snow.

In my time I could give a ******* for how hot it got in anywhere. It almost punched my ticket to St Peters a couple of times.

Razorback Concrete in Searcy gave me a mixer truck old 129, a prostitute beat up rig with no air conditioning whatsoever. Everyone has had a turn on it at hire. I eventually heat exhausted in there at 130 or so on a 110 degree day with the sun reflecting off a shale rock pile under my tires. A storm eventually came along and killed the foundation pour. Causing me to get stuck and require extraction that took more time than the whole thing is worth.

No one cared.

Wife and I was near Beatty NV where the reefer started really screeching. We had dough on there at -god knows how low. something below zero. We burned it up by the time we reached Reno. Turned out the ambient air temp at the reefer over our catwalk was roughly 140 plus. Tractor cab air conditioning could only generate 80 or so inside for us. Sleeper was not worth a damn it frosted out and quit.

We got the dough delivered. But the reefer held the load at -2 or so and could not cool back down to max set low temp. I think it was -25 or so set. Considering the amount of BTU's required to protect the Dough... its a good strong reefer. Amazing really. (Thermoking on Great Dane.)

Whatever that Beatty Temp was the boots stuck to the pavement that started oozing into my tires if we stopped a minute. It was not good to be in that kind of heat. We kept going. It worked out. Several tires were replaced. The company screamed bloody murder. They were like 400 dollar tires.

Ive been known when told by the suits in charge not to worry about that air conditioning not working, stop by the truckstop tell the shop there to replace it and get it all working good. They say its expensive. I tell them do it. The bill is not my problem. Thats the company to pay when its done.

oooo do they hate that. cost them thousands.

Thats one of the smaller reasons I got out of trucking. The opti idle and nanny idles cutoff and so on. 80 degrees outside makes 120 plus in cab in a couple of hours. Im not staying in there and frying to save the company a dollar. nope.

We are getting ready to cook at 115 when the sun comes up soon. Yep its summer time. Keep on trucking. Dont drop dead mind you.

Part two.

I had a incident where I stopped at a little Kart Track near Hammerman for a few hours in Maryland. A older kart track and it was summer there. Had a full 670 mile run up from Georgia. Almost at reciever in Aberdeen for the morning a hour up the road. So... time to have a little fun.

Well, what I didnt realize was the body had leached everything out in terms of hydration and very little eating. After a hour or so of sucking exhaust fumes on the Kart Track, I thought its best to find a snocone. (Flavored and sugar shaved ice in a cup.)

Bought that and started sipping. On the third sip my brain quit, the body dropped and a trauma nurse with her kids was working on me right there. I woke up in fallston hospital later and told them, thats enough I want out Ive got a load sitting down there to go get.

They kept me there a couple of hours eyeballing everything. When the labs came back they said I had nothing and should be dead. I told them well, what you waiting for? Pass the steak, salad and gravy fries heah. And find me a ******* can of fanta grape. (The sugar... funny how the brain works to take care of what you really need)

They did. Cleared the plate. Another set of labs. Kicked me out a hour later. AFTER I started asking for salty stuff. That did it.

The load was at Aberdeen the next morning. No fuss.

Thats heatstroke. Those usually kill. The bill? Written off. They had a bunch of newbies from medical school working my case. And they tossed the bill for my trouble. HA.... its usually stabbings, fights and gunshots taht go in there those weekend nights. But a heat stroke case isnt that intense or exciting to these people.

So city people who want can work 6 days .. doing what? Sounds to me like they will be running road runs...they used to a while ago. So, if they are allowed to run the road, the dropping the 6th trip for road drivers will be removed next contract probably.seems like the new administration would have used that as some sort of bargaining tool during negotiations, rather than rolling over and just giving in. Like the way NO MENTION was made until they agreed to it... seems shady

Has anyone seen a hard copy of this agreement at any ABF terminal? I have read it on Facebook but no one I have spoken with has actually seen it posted.

But if it is true, my plan of attack is to never take 34 continuous hours off. How about after 24 hours off I log onto samsara and put 1 minute on duty reviewing safety material?

But I will be surprised if this agreement is true. Why would the union give the company this gift without asking for something in exchange? Especially this close to contract negotiations.
Why would they agree to it without meeting with the members? And then voting on it, since it would be amended language to the current contract?

Why would they agree to it without meeting with the members? And then voting on it, since it would be amended language to the current contract?
I agree. I think this is fake news to stir people up. Good conversation piece but I'll believe it when I see it posted on the terminal wall and dispatch says it is company policy.