ABF | ABF and YRCW Petition against Orphans in Question!

Do you think ABF or YRCW will go out of business?

• Neither ABF or YRCW can continue to pay orphans

Votes: 52 44.8%
  • ABF and YRCW are doomed while paying orphans!

Votes: 27 23.3%
  • It's not a problem!

Votes: 14 12.1%
  • ABF and YRCW are bluffing!

Votes: 23 19.8%

• Total voters
A lot of people seem to for get that the good thing about the union is that your pension follows you . If you worked for McLean and went to ABF or Yellow you pension benefits stayed with you . I don't know how it works in a non union environment . I would think not because the nonunion companies do not have a concurrence with each other . I don't think Conway would put in to a 401 from Old Dominion . IMO.
Don't forget. The union allowed UPS to pay (6 Billion) to get out of the central states pension. Anyone can see the Teamster pension plan is going the way of social security. More going out than coming in. Pension plans, as well as social security, should have an account stating what you put in and what your benefit is when you retire.

Averritt Express has a 401K that we put into and can not be taken away or reduced by some pension fund. Pension Protection Act can not reduce our Social Security by what our enployer puts in. WE DON'T PAY UNION Dues either.

Take it to the union/non union thread. Start a thread there.

Averritt Express has a 401K that we put into and can not be taken away or reduced by some pension fund. Pension Protection Act can not reduce our Social Security by what our enployer puts in. WE DON'T PAY UNION Dues either.
How much you pay for insurance? What do you make per hour?how long you gotta work to get overtime? Me 55 dollers a month for dues ins. 0.00 we are at 23.98 per hr, overtime after 8hrs. And they can't just fire us because we got a bad haircut or a bad attitude. I got friends that work @ averitt so ya can't sh%t me... what is the score now?

You would have to work for 100 years to get a 25 year pension .

How do you figure that! The 25% is supposed to only last until 2015. Then yrc is supposed to pay 100%. That's 1 full years credit for 6 years worked then full credit. So you would have to work 30 years to receive 25 years pension. UNLESS yrc files bankruptcy and goes out of business.

I believe the term "orphan" was first mentioned by dollar bill zollars a couple years back when YRC went over the cliff the first time.

As much as we want to say it is bull____, one cannot argue the inevitible consequence of forcing the remaining NMFA companies to pay for these companies that are no longer in business. The LTL industry is a pie, 25 years ago that pie was almost 100% union. If one company went down, the burden fell to many other companies that contributed to NMFA. That portion of the pie that is union has been drastically reduced since as the non-union carries like, Fedex Freight, R & L, Saia, Estes continue to increase their portion of the pie. Further analysis tells us that since YRC isn't even paying into NMFA pension currently, therefore the pension is essentially being supported by a company (ABF) that controls less than 12% of the entire LTL pie.

The question reasonable teamsters must ask themselves is: Do we kill ABF by holding true to the rules of the multiemployer pension that shuttered many other freight companies that were union and competed against non-union companies that are not encumbered by such details? Or do push for some sort of legislative solution that lessons the burden on ABF that continues to allow them to stay in business and not get run over by the pension liability once YRC officially defaults?

BTW, the greatest bull____ that ever existed is allowing YRC out of NMFA pension but still allowing them to be called a union company.

We have had a 401k since 1982. And yes Averitt can't touch it but the crooks on wall street can and have. This last attack on the 401k's was pretty bad over a trillion dollars came up missing out of that little nest egg. So yes you did lose a lot of money if you have been in a 401k for the last several years. We will always have money coming in no matter what. WORST CASE. If we were ever placed into the government GPF we would still receive money until we died. So don't think it makes us mad because it doesn't. We still know we have it better than you do at averitt. We talk to their drivers here in Cleveland. As a matter of fact your company had to cut back on their drivers in Cleveland and farm some work out. Now does that sound like a GREAT COMPANY TO WORK FOR! I will compare pay checks to yours any day. By the way the key words you said in your post you have a 401k that you and only you put into. Maybe just maybe that is why your company can't touch it. You will have to come up with a better UNION HATING POST THAN THAT!

well muler seem's to be a good name for you. Mule, ass same thing. are you the union's water carrier.

Frakie truth hurts so ya start calling names? It don't suprise me. Why do you hate unions frakie, that is if you can string a sentence together?

With all the name calling and union talk here I am surprised that it has not been moved to the union/non union thread. I know if this had been on a non union thread the people would be crying ! Looks as if the skin is a bit thicker at a union barn.
No cry babies here !

well muler seem's to be a good name for you. Mule, ass same thing. are you the union's water carrier.
Does this post mean you wish to be the spokes person for the non union drivers on this site? If you dislike us so much why are you on the ABF thread? And as for being a water carrier for the union that would be correct. You see I am very glad to have been afforded a GREAT PAYING and WELL GOVORNED WORKING ENVIROMENT for 32 years that I want one and all to know it. So if that is considered carrying the water then yes I am the WATER BOY! Just by your post calling me a name says that you are jealous and ashamed that you have settled for less for yourself and your (Family if you have one). But petty name calling does nothing for me. If you want to talk to me come with something better than (A MULE- ASS). Hell that sounds border line SISSY! Now what is your problem with the UNION? And please come up with a good answer because so far you are sounding weak minded and SCARED.

In short people are no good, some have it better. I have nothing against the union, but they do not belong on a pedestal. Alot of your post seem to have a feminine quality, with your choice of words. Maybe you been hanging around truck stops to much.

McDonald's and Wal-mart have a 401k also. Wow you got it made!! Educate yourself on the difference between a 401k plan and a defined benefit plan and then you probably wont make a stupid comment like that. Go ahead Google it! You can get a 401k at probably 95% of employers. There have been documentary's on PBS regarding this issue. You really think its a better idea to pay for your own retirement vs have a defined benifit plan that you never have to pay a penny into. You probably think that money that you pay for your health and dental insurance is a better deal than paying the zero amount that I have paid for over 15 years.

In short people are no good, some have it better. I have nothing against the union, but they do not belong on a pedestal. Alot of your post seem to have a feminine quality, with your choice of words. Maybe you been hanging around truck stops to much.
Now you are saying the complete opposite as you did in your other post. It would not be fair to you if we had a debate. After all you did not even know that a mule does not have the sir name of ASS that distiction would be that of the DONKEY. As most on this site know they are two different animals. But I saw from the beginning that you were confused. As for the way I speak it is called being educated. For instance I would never say( Maybe you been hanging around truck stops to much.) I would have said maybe you HAVE been hanging around truck stops TOO much. But you speak the way you do and I will continue to speak the way I do. As you can see I am not angered by your feeble attempt to anger me about my manhood. Only a weak minded low IQ medicated log book lying low life would even try to say something like that on a thread that is about ABF Teamsters not trouble makers. So if you have nothing of importance to say remember be careful of the toes you step on today they just might be connected to the ass you have too kiss tomorrow. Now that is probably something you can wrap your few brain cells around. And who knows if you keep repeating it long enough you might even be able to say it without a cheat sheet someday.

You have some good point's. This job is for the birds, not my first chioce on making a living, but it pay's well.

Honest work is something to be proud of. I also did not think driving a truck would be my career choice. But it is and for that I am thankful. I have seen many friends lose their jobs over the years but trucking has provided well for my family. But on the matter of what this job will do to your body well lets just say I won't be breaking any track and field records in my life time. But there is a price for everything.