ABF | ABF Contract Update September 30, 2013!

There is some rumor out there that a majority of the eligible voters need to vote in favor of a strike in order for one to be called. Under that scenario if there are 1000 eligible voters, 490 vote 'no' (contract rejected, strike authorized), 480 vote 'yes' (contract accepted, strike not authorized) then there would be no strike due to fact that 30 eligible voters did not vote and they lack the numbers necessary for a strike.

That would mean continued negotiations, until "impasse" is reached, or declared. Upon declaring "impasse", any individual Local, depending on the "cojones" of the Local leadership and the solidarity of the rank-and-file, could declare a localized strike,...on an individual terminal/Local basis,....on any issue they deem strikeable,...........Not clean enough restrooms? Then Local # 000, in Rudimentary , Illinois, ABF terminal # 90000 declares a 72 hour notice of intent to strike unless that specific issue is resolved within that 72 hour period,...and all 4 ABF employees at Terminal # 90000 get out their barrels and signs and strike until their issue is resolved. 42 miles away, in Hogbark, Missouri, ABF terminal #00300....same Supplemental area,...the 3 ABF employees are upset that the 17 acre employee parking lot is only mowed twice a year,.....they also,...through Local # 00100, declare a 72 hour notice of intent to strike, unless THEIR issue is addressed. They get their signs and barrels ready, too. Although these two terminals are made up, the Chicago Locals would hit any declaration of "impasse" like a ton of bricks. They could start negotiations,....for themselves....at square root one, and re-negotiate the entire contract,....under threat of notice of intent to strike. They could, theoretically, wipe the slate clean, and start all over , for themselves, once "impasse" is declared, in that area. ALL issues,.....even those in the terminals in "Rudimentary and Hogbark" would have to be resolved before another vote could be taken. Don't forget, the NLRB oversees the rights of people in collective bargaining agreements, and after the fiasco that was the three MOU votes at YRC, many Teamster Locals are standing by with Labor attorneys to file an injunction to hold up the collective bargaining process, in case their members' rights are violated, either by ABF, OR the IBT. Does anyone out there think that ABF will let this get as far as "impasse"? We could be negotiating for .....years. Caterpillar did, for two years. So did Supervalu, for almost three years. The IBT needs to face facts that they've made a fiasco out of the 4 major contracts they have. They certainly aren't serving the members of UPS, UPS Freight, ABF, and YRC,....to say nothing of the carhaul, and tanker agreements. If Mr. Hoffa and crew think they would be re-elected at the Teamsters convention , three years from now.......it would SOLELY be on the votes of all of the minor municipal and service contracts,...contracts with 10-15 people in them that were never organized before,.....Because they've surely mis-managed ALL of their major contract ratification votes. UPS Freight probably won't even get another contract vote until January, at least, DEPENDING, of course, on what UPS does. Welcome to the Teamsters, former Overnite drivers!.....(...hang with us, former Overnite guys. It didn't used to be this bad. We've got to vote out, or have them retire,...the old deadwood that seems to be cluttering the offices at Louisiana Ave. these days.....)..

(...Double Post. Fingers shake when I work myself into towering fumes of vituperation against dishonest negotiations. Clicked it twice. sorry....)

Last edited by a moderator:
And,...as per the post that Brother Freightmaster so kindly supplied,...I'm sure everyone has noticed the veiled threat in the last sentence? please keep in mind that they can only hold up INCREASES to those funds. As long as the contract is in extension, the company must maintain the H & W, and Pension payments that were in force at the expiration of the old NMFA on April 1, 2013. So,...no,....they're not going to de-fund your healthcare or pension,.....They are forced to use veiled threats instead of something stupid, like actual negotiations, or something........Geeze, Louise!..Why would they actually talk to us stinky drivers and find out what we want?.. They're the ones with the Doctorate in Finance, they know far better what we need.....us rank-and-file are merely being obtuse,....probably due to lack of education, or something.......we act like cranky children,...trying to get wages enough to feed our families, and, just maybe, send them to college......all the while demanding not to be on a surveillance video every working minute of our lives, like a shoplifter in 7-11.............Good Grief ,Rank-and-File! Get Real! This is the Twenty-First Century! There are Bosses, ...Overlords of Commerce,.......and there are you,...the "common" people,....who should be thankful that we even allow you in our equipment to work,....don't you people know there's profit to be made in the Stock Market.....and you're fiddling with our Stock Price? Which is, of course, far more important than you lowly employees and your tacky "need" to feed your families,.....with "dignity" no less!.....Sheesh!

Thank you , Brother. When you feel it all the time, you'll look as old, and act just as cranky as me.......shaking fingers and all.......I've already contacted my buddy, Francis, at Vatican City, to nominate my wife for sainthood for putting up with me.............and she'll get it, too,....as long as she doesn't smother me in my sleep.......

Thank you , Brother. When you feel it all the time, you'll look as old, and act just as cranky as me.......shaking fingers and all.......I've already contacted my buddy, Francis, at Vatican City, to nominate my wife for sainthood for putting up with me.............and she'll get it, too,....as long as she doesn't smother me in my sleep.......
Now I don't know you at all Canary but I have a feeling that she would even then.:biggrin:

Now I don't know you at all Canary but I have a feeling that she would even then.:biggrin:

Married to me 37 years, Brother Boilerpeddle,....and I almost ,....not quite,...got her figured out. Either she loves me,....or she takes a long, long time plotting revenge.

Smothered with what? :hide:

Ahh, Brother ABFer,.....I'd like to say redbone gravy and country cooking,.....I wouldn't mind going that way. But I know her too well. I wouldn't be around to do the dishes afterward, and it'd be too much bother. I shudder to think of the nefarious alternatives, though......

I have to agree with you Canary about the wife. I am in the same boat after 36 and a half years. They all need sainthoods and purple hearts to put up with us in the profession we chose.: smile: