ABF | ABF Eyes Wage Cuts

Practice what you preach

Here is my perspective on this whole matter. First YRC. We all know that this executive level has the worst history of screwing up......just about everything they touch. Just ask anybody that worked for Preston. The executive level wants a give back......show us by example. Take your one dollar per year salaries. We might follow you then.

As for our guys at ABF......how do you think we have been profitable? It ain't magic. We are impressed with the foresight and ability to change the business in a positive way. You have hired the best of the best employees you can find, and we out perform anyone else in the business. Now you are asking us for a give back.

Here is an idea for you. Sure you will talk to our leaders, and you should. Unfair advantage? You have been given everything you have asked for in the recent changes of operation. WE have made these changes work, regardless of our personal cost. Further, we are happy and are proud that OUR, management and labor, have worked so well together to make the changes possible to make this company viable and profitable. Putting the non-union companies on notice that we are here to stay, and be ready to pay homage to the real professionals in this industry. We all here at ABF.

Show us all by example that you too are serious about this companies future. As in the early days of business in the W. Edwards Deming led Japanese reconstruction era, no one employee, from president to janitor, makes more money than the other. Are you ready to make that commitment? We all want the same thing as you do, are you ready to cut your salaries and perks (total compensation packages) to the level of the highest paid road driver in the system after the give backs? If you are, we will support your bid for wage concessions. After all, we are all fellow employees, aren't we? We should also bear the burden together, shouldn't we? Because we all work tirelessly, 24 hours a day 7 days a week 364 days a year. We are out in the snowstorms, ice storms, trucks returning to "company owned repair shops" in 100 degree plus temperatures, without air conditioning, even while your fast asleep in your comfortable homes with your families.

And as an aside, your coveted ATA has secured the 11 hour driving rule to further increase already maximized productivity. We give you everything short of the proverbial "pint of blood". Now it appears as if your going to demand that too.

I am still amazed that you can ask for an even further advantage than what we are giving you already.

When a system is stable, telling the worker about mistakes is only tampering.
------W. Edwards Deming

Here is my perspective on this whole matter. First YRC. We all know that this executive level has the worst history of screwing up......just about everything they touch. Just ask anybody that worked for Preston. The executive level wants a give back......show us by example. Take your one dollar per year salaries. We might follow you then.

As for our guys at ABF......how do you think we have been profitable? It ain't magic. We are impressed with the foresight and ability to change the business in a positive way. You have hired the best of the best employees you can find, and we out perform anyone else in the business. Now you are asking us for a give back.

Here is an idea for you. Sure you will talk to our leaders, and you should. Unfair advantage? You have been given everything you have asked for in the recent changes of operation. WE have made these changes work, regardless of our personal cost. Further, we are happy and are proud that OUR, management and labor, have worked so well together to make the changes possible to make this company viable and profitable. Putting the non-union companies on notice that we are here to stay, and be ready to pay homage to the real professionals in this industry. We all here at ABF.

Show us all by example that you too are serious about this companies future. As in the early days of business in the W. Edwards Deming led Japanese reconstruction era, no one employee, from president to janitor, makes more money than the other. Are you ready to make that commitment? We all want the same thing as you do, are you ready to cut your salaries and perks (total compensation packages) to the level of the highest paid road driver in the system after the give backs? If you are, we will support your bid for wage concessions. After all, we are all fellow employees, aren't we? We should also bear the burden together, shouldn't we? Because we all work tirelessly, 24 hours a day 7 days a week 364 days a year. We are out in the snowstorms, ice storms, trucks returning to "company owned repair shops" in 100 degree plus temperatures, without air conditioning, even while your fast asleep in your comfortable homes with your families.

And as an aside, your coveted ATA has secured the 11 hour driving rule to further increase already maximized productivity. We give you everything short of the proverbial "pint of blood". Now it appears as if your going to demand that too.

I am still amazed that you can ask for an even further advantage than what we are giving you already.

------W. Edwards Deming

Well said,well said.:clap:

------W. Edwards Deming

Best post I have ever seen. This should be front page of the ABF Bylinesl:woot:

What does Wes think Yrc is going to do with their concessions from the union? Discount freight and dig a deeper hole or try to get out debt. I thought it was to try to get out of debt. Maybe ABF could be more competitive if we gave huge discounts and increased our freight volume. More freight, More jobs, More debt. Last time I checked ABF was in good financial shape with "money in the bank" according to our quarterly report. I can`t see giving back more than we already have. The last change of operations and the "Do More with Less" policy has still got my back aching from bending over. If we were in trouble I could see giving up something to save the company and our jobs but right now its just not justified.

Story Headline - Economy * US * News * Story - CNBC.com
YRC Worldwide Chairman, President and CEO William D. Zollars said the money saved by the wage concessions sought from the Teamsters union will level the playing field between his company and its nonunion competition.

"This pretty much wipes out the difference between union and non-union in our industry, in terms of our cost-base," Zollars said in an interview this morning with CNBC.
If for once that Zollars is right and the YRCW Teamsters vote for the giveback then just how long before the IBT tries to force us to "level the playing field"............"in our industry"

If for once that Zollars is right and the YRCW Teamsters vote for the giveback then just how long before the IBT tries to force us to "level the playing field"............"in our industry"

Isn't that what the NMFA is all about,to put everyone on the same playing field...

Paycuts are nothing but an excuse for MISMANAGEMENT!!!!!!

oh give me a break. thats just an ignorant statement.

sometimes the free market dictates pay scale. if everybody else is lowering the costs by paying less, and therefore charging less to the customers, then how can ABF compete. I think for the most part ABF is well ran company. and if taking a 10% paycut helps ABF stay competative in the market place, then i'm willing to do that.

this may good management move. just being proactive.

Isn't that what the NMFA is all about,to put everyone on the same playing field...

Do you mean like UPSF? Oh I almost forgot that they are not in the NMFA. They have a stand alone contract. I guess that we will have to drop down to their playing field. Crazy you & I knew this was coming 2 years ago>

oh give me a break. thats just an ignorant statement.

sometimes the free market dictates pay scale. if everybody else is lowering the costs by paying less, and therefore charging less to the customers, then how can ABF compete. I think for the most part ABF is well ran company. and if taking a 10% paycut helps ABF stay competative in the market place, then i'm willing to do that.

this may good management move. just being proactive.

So you think YRC is managed properly?

As of now ABF is going to do nothing but
they will leave the door open for a pay cut
down the road. They will join in if they feel
that they need to be competitive.