ABF | ABF Freight may move 400 Little Rock jobs to Memphis

At one time the terminal had 800 employees. I don' think half of the NLR Teamsters are going to make the move. The company is having difficulty finding qualified employees & this move will only add to the problem. Mechanics can go to dealerships & start at a higher pay scale & won't have to work the late shift & weekends & earn vacation time earlier. At one time the pay scale under the NMFA was two times the amount plus benefits compared to other shops. It seems the company prefers to farm out work & pay $100+ hourly shop rate.

The move is going to happen. Several mechanics have left for other jobs & dock workers have also left for other jobs. There was freight on the dock today & not enough workers to work it. The dock is working casuals all the hours they can get them to work as well as regular employees. The company may have peed in it's own canteen over this move. The plans to hire workers without high school diplomas or GEDs and/or misdemeanor convictions in Memphis will make it a cut rate carrier & increase claims. Not delivering freight will send customers to other carriers. The company cannot operate without hourly employees. Supervisors alone don't make the company.

I have no high school diploma and/or GED and I don't feel like I make this a cut rate company, In fact I believe the 28 years of accident frree driving I bring with me only makes this company better. It always amazes me how some people can sit upon their high horses and look down their noses at people they don't know. It must be the higher edumication.

I have no high school diploma and/or GED and I don't feel like I make this a cut rate company, In fact I believe the 28 years of accident frree driving I bring with me only makes this company better. It always amazes me how some people can sit upon their high horses and look down their noses at people they don't know. It must be the higher edumication.

When I was hired a high school diploma was required. I worked with men who didn't have a high school diploma & with several who had college degrees. I didn't see any difference in the work they did. At one time a conviction would get the application tossed. When a company official says in an interview they will hire convicts then that is lowering standards & shows how desperate the company is to attract applicants. The men with college degrees actually made more working under the NMFA than the jobs they had that required a degree plus they had better benefits & pension.
What I said was not meant to be a reflection on you or anybody else without a high school diploma. I worked with older men who had dropped out of school to work & help support their families due to illness or death of their father.
In the past most companies wanted to hire younger men. ABF would hire an older man if he had a good work history & safety record because he wasn't a risk like an inexperienced man & didn't require training. With your experience you obviously fit into this category.