ABF | ABF Teamsters: Why Your Vote Counts for the NMFA

Quote-The company wants you to vote no, and calls the NMFA "no longer relevant"

The NMFA would be alot more relevant if the IBT had put UPSF/Overnite in it instead of giving them a stand alone contract... We knew this was going to happen 15 months ago. YRC & ABF made it know that they expected the same relief from the NMFA that UPSF got..... Some of us spoke out about it back then & not too many people were concerned about it. Well it looks as if we are all concerned about it now.

The NMFA would be alot more relevant if the IBT had put UPSF/Overnite in it instead of giving them a stand alone contract... We knew this was going to happen 15 months ago. YRC & ABF made it know that they expected the same relief from the NMFA that UPSF got..... Some of us spoke out about it back then & not too many people were concerned about it. Well it looks as if we are all concerned about it now.

the problem here is if we do turn it down abf corporate will think we did it because they influenced us to do it and then go to the ibt and say even your members want out of the existing MEPFs
as far as upsf is concerned
i truly believe what i said in the past
that attempting to force upsf to enter into the MEPFs was too big of an obstacle to overcome so the ibt made a choice between a relatively easy organizing drive thru card check nuetrality or thru the elections the labor board requires normally
that part is a no brainer but the rammifications of a substandard contract when compared to the nmfa was a bad move
the only part i feel the ibt was looking at was wages as in 2010 the upsf hourly rate will surpass nmfa wages by something like two cents
problem truly occurs in the differences in work rules and holidays, sick days and vacation
our supplement (ny nj ) is superior to almost all other supplements in certain areas like those items above and when we compare that to the upsf deal, they are receiving far less compared to ours here but the truth is
(for example we have set start times and they do not)
many of the other supplements are not that much superior to the upsf deal
do not miscontrue me as i am not a big fan of the upsf deal and i am not putting down the other supplements but check out the language as far as work rules are concerned

i can only speculate that the ibt took this as a giant first step towards organizing these workers
in otherwords "let's get them in the door and smooth out the wrinkles later"
ideally and i agree we need these guys in our funds
i guess the ibt feels once they are organized it will be easier at some future date to include them in our funds as the strike card will certainly have a stronger impact later then it would now
remember we attempted that strategy already in the past organizing drive that didn't fare too well all around

as far as our funds are concerned i know your fund is fine for the moment and that can change rapidly like my fund did
the contributions in this contract (tentative) will have an extreme positive effect on our fund both from the master and the supplement and it will only strengthen yours
my fund for example has 2.5 participants collecting for every ONE that contributions are paid in for. that is an extremely large negative cash drain each month on our fund
our fund also has a 13th check for those collecting that is NOT offset by any active contributions
so in this tentative agreement there is a $5 overall raise in H&W contributions that will help for sure
not a cure all mind you but a step in the right direction
in addition the fund at least my fund picked up the tab in covering guys on comp for 2 years benefit-wise not the companies
now as part of the supplement the companies have agreed to pay the first 6 months of contributions for those employees
this amounted to approx 350,000 dollars in savings to the plan
from those standpoints i feel the ibt and local negotiating committees based most of their energies in this area during the negotiations
remember those surveys the ibt and the locals put out there?
well the main concern overwhelmingly was health &welfare and job security
i think they covered those concerns, at the very least the H&W concerns
is this the best contract ever? certainly not
it is actually better i feel than the last 5 for sure
we got what we basically asked for in reality

the monkey wrench in the mix is certainly the upsf deal for sure
it is what it is and i think we will have to see how it plays out

Yeah you might be right dude, but as far as I am concerned the only thing that irrelevant is trucker bob and leswimp's BS they been spoon feeding us.

EFFUM vote no anyway. I gotta go get some on strike signs