ABF | ABF's Legacy

Cam1

TB Lurker
Credits
I've always appreciated and was always thankful for being able to work and retire from a company such as ABF,as much as it meant to me then,and after reading some of the threads in the Yellow forum about the pain and heartache our Teamster brothers and sisters are going through,it means even more to me now...

It was a great work environment and I was always afforded dignity and respect...The company celebrated 100 years in existence this year and is still going strong as a UNION freight carrier...

Who remembers years ago when top executives would travel the country and have a meet and greet regional dinner with employees...Bob Davidson was the president then...Here in the NYC Metropolitan area we're so used to Wall Street Gordon Gekko type CEOS with their 3 thousand dollar suits and slick back hair...Bob Davidson was genuine,affable,gracious,polite and easy to talk to...I was like...WOW...I broke the ice when I asked him if,and when the Razorbacks were ever going to beat Alabama...I knew that would get him going being an alumni of Arkansas U...

At the podium he was taking questions with his microphone from the audience,people asking different questions about the company...My question to him was...''How do you see the future of ABF,especially as a Union carrier?''...He talked about the respect he had for the teamsters,as well as the employees,but his last comment was the one I'll never forget...He said,and I quote...''ABF will be the last Union carrier standing''...The man is true to his word...As far as I'm concerned,and IMHO,I'm thrilled that TForce is Union teamster company,but they're a Canadian company with Overnight as their ''Legacy''...I mean no disrespect whatsoever,believe me...But ABF is the last ''Legacy'' Union carrier standing!!!!...

In my mind,at least back then,ABF was a Conservative Christian Southern Carrier,but times have changed of course to a more corporate entity today,a pity,to be sure...Because back then a 'prayer' was said before the dinner began,imagine that,a prayer being said in a ''public'' place...but I digress...

Congratulations to every and all ABF Teamster employees and their families for one hell of a ''100 year run''...Just goes to show what could happen when Management and Unions work 'together'....''The American Dream''!!!!

This has to be the best written and most heart felt posting I have seen on Truckingboards. I never had the pleasure of working for ABF but I understand exactly what Cam1 is saying. I felt the same way about Nationsway and later Holland. Unfortunately, Nationsway got into financial distress when they expanded into the east after St. J went down. I am sure Holland would still be here if Yellow had not purchased them. Both of these companies treated me with respect. I always felt like i was part of a team. My time with Yellow was mixed. When I worked at a small EOL terminal when on layoff from linehaul, Yellow was good. But working linehaul at a big breakbulk was bad. All you were was a driver number. I hope ABF has another 100 years of success

ABF came very close in the 80’s & 90’s to being a fallen flag. Many ABF rank & file families were devastated by management decisions to overextend itself & purchases companies that not only almost bankrupt the company. But cost many good employees their jobs. Multiple givebacks by union employees. Many of those employees ended up at one of the carriers that Yellow ended up owning only to face the same fate. ABF had whole terminals lose its seniority list & replaced. We are all grateful for ABF still standing & still strong today but, it wasn’t all sunshine & rainbows & it did involve some luck & sacrifices of the rank and file

This has to be the best written and most heart felt posting I have seen on Truckingboards. I never had the pleasure of working for ABF but I understand exactly what Cam1 is saying. I felt the same way about Nationsway and later Holland. Unfortunately, Nationsway got into financial distress when they expanded into the east after St. J went down. I am sure Holland would still be here if Yellow had not purchased them. Both of these companies treated me with respect. I always felt like i was part of a team. My time with Yellow was mixed. When I worked at a small EOL terminal when on layoff from linehaul, Yellow was good. But working linehaul at a big breakbulk was bad. All you were was a driver number. I hope ABF has another 100 years of success

What a classy,gracious,and thoughtful post...Thank You john deere...After reading john deere's post,go back and read it again,this time read between the lines...The thankfulness and appreciation of the opportunity afforded to john deere working at the companies he alluded to is more then evident,and personally,I find it refreshing and liberating...,

Nowhere in his post is john deere spewing anger,bitterness,vindictiveness,or any type of invective dialogue towards any of the companies he has worked years for,only respect,admiration and gratitude...Kudos to you john deere and Thank You again,I too hope that ABF has another 100 years of success...

Men and women like john deere are the type of people I gravitate to when I retired last year entering my 7th decade in this thing we call ''Life''...At this age,the phrase ''Life's too short'' takes on a whole NEW meaning!!!!!:1036316054:

What a classy,gracious,and thoughtful post...Thank You john deere...After reading john deere's post,go back and read it again,this time read between the lines...The thankfulness and appreciation of the opportunity afforded to john deere working at the companies he alluded to is more then evident,and personally,I find it refreshing and liberating...,

Nowhere in his post is john deere spewing anger,bitterness,vindictiveness,or any type of invective dialogue towards any of the companies he has worked years for,only respect,admiration and gratitude...Kudos to you john deere and Thank You again,I too hope that ABF has another 100 years of success...

Men and women like john deere are the type of people I gravitate to when I retired last year entering my 7th decade in this thing we call ''Life''...At this age,the phrase ''Life's too short'' takes on a whole NEW meaning!!!!!:1036316054:
Indeed a rare post.

ABF came very close in the 80’s & 90’s to being a fallen flag. Many ABF rank & file families were devastated by management decisions to overextend itself & purchases companies that not only almost bankrupt the company. But cost many good employees their jobs. Multiple givebacks by union employees. Many of those employees ended up at one of the carriers that Yellow ended up owning only to face the same fate. ABF had whole terminals lose its seniority list & replaced. We are all grateful for ABF still standing & still strong today but, it wasn’t all sunshine & rainbows & it did involve some luck & sacrifices of the rank and file

I worked for Overnight we were treated better than most family members. Mr. Cochran was genuine and real he could not only tell you how to do your job he could jump behind the wheel and show you how to do it. Then cam UPS arrogant pampas asses, who treated you like crap. So far TForce is a breath of fresh air. They seem to be trying do the right thing but it'll take a lot of time to undo the UPS mentality.

I worked for Overnight we were treated better than most family members. Mr. Cochran was genuine and real he could not only tell you how to do your job he could jump behind the wheel and show you how to do it. Then cam UPS arrogant pampas asses, who treated you like crap. So far TForce is a breath of fresh air. They seem to be trying do the right thing but it'll take a lot of time to undo the UPS mentality.
Nice post TP and so true...I've met many Overnight drivers through the years at my time with APA and ABF,always friendly and engaging with a ready smile,happy at Overnight...I became friendly with 3 drivers and we still stay in touch,all retired from UPS Freight,and your right,could't wait to get out once Brown took over implementing their 'Gestapo' tactics...It was comical to watch UPS when they first acquired Overnight,in their arrogance,they thought they could run it just like parcel,not realizing they were in for one hell of a rude awakening...''Wait?...We're UPS..We don't wait''...Oh yeah,2 choices,get in line or leave!!!!...Put so much stress and pressure on the drivers,dealing with dispatch,dealing with the customers,numbers...numbers...numbers...Hurray up!!!!....But Safety first!!!!...Senior men could't wait to get out,kind of reminded me of my days at APA,same mentality,APA(Arthur)hated the Union with a passion:mf swordfight:''TForce is a breath of fresh air''...Glad to hear it TP...Take Care!!!!

There is definitely a reason why ABF is the last standing true teamster freight company. They are very smart and innovative. Who else is running swing door pups? Swing door pups for Upack relocubes and crazy high paying freight that wouldnt fit in or out of a roll door. I have worked for two other ltls besides ABF and their dock hands no matter how good they think they are wouldn’t even know how to handle some of the Frieght that goes through abfs system. And I have seen huge crazy things in these ABF trailers that no other ltl would even consider hauling but the price to ship it is outrageous. Who else has flatbeds at every terminal? Who else offers flatbed forklift service. Who else offers an actually moving service that people use. I’m not talking Estes sure move or OD household. I’m talking about probably one of the most known and reckognized moving services in the country.. U Pack. I could go on and on but let me say this ABF has adapted to the industry and economies highs and lows for the past 100 years. Abf might not have as many trailers dropped at shippers yards than the other ltls but I will tell you this over the years ABF has established relationships with a shippers who have Frieght that pays very very well but it might be long or oversized but Abf would rather spot 5 trailers that pay very well than have 15 spotted that don’t pay that much. Abf isn’t about volume they are more of a quality over quantity company. And you have to remember abfs overhead is very high. Od might make 400 million more than ABF in a year but Abf pays 400 million to employees pension and insurance each year before seeing a dime in profit and that’s something these guys don’t understand. I Can promise you there is several guys who have already collected more in their pension after retirement than most of these other guys will ever have saved in a 401k. People just don’t understand this is what it should be like you give your life to a company they should have you well taken care of. I guess what Im trying to say is that Abf is the last of a dying breed and it’s the most badass ltl outfit on the road today. Since 1923!

There is definitely a reason why ABF is the last standing true teamster freight company. They are very smart and innovative. Who else is running swing door pups? Swing door pups for Upack relocubes and crazy high paying freight that wouldnt fit in or out of a roll door. I have worked for two other ltls besides ABF and their dock hands no matter how good they think they are wouldn’t even know how to handle some of the Frieght that goes through abfs system. And I have seen huge crazy things in these ABF trailers that no other ltl would even consider hauling but the price to ship it is outrageous. Who else has flatbeds at every terminal? Who else offers flatbed forklift service. Who else offers an actually moving service that people use. I’m not talking Estes sure move or OD household. I’m talking about probably one of the most known and reckognized moving services in the country.. U Pack. I could go on and on but let me say this ABF has adapted to the industry and economies highs and lows for the past 100 years. Abf might not have as many trailers dropped at shippers yards than the other ltls but I will tell you this over the years ABF has established relationships with a shippers who have Frieght that pays very very well but it might be long or oversized but Abf would rather spot 5 trailers that pay very well than have 15 spotted that don’t pay that much. Abf isn’t about volume they are more of a quality over quantity company. And you have to remember abfs overhead is very high. Od might make 400 million more than ABF in a year but Abf pays 400 million to employees pension and insurance each year before seeing a dime in profit and that’s something these guys don’t understand. I Can promise you there is several guys who have already collected more in their pension after retirement than most of these other guys will ever have saved in a 401k. People just don’t understand this is what it should be like you give your life to a company they should have you well taken care of. I guess what Im trying to say is that Abf is the last of a dying breed and it’s the most badass ltl outfit on the road today. Since 1923!
Now that is one insightful post!!! I'm just happy to see that you got the chance to see that for yourself because actually seeing a well managed company firsthand definitely inspires one to be conscientious... versatile and take pride in a job well done.

Now that is one insightful post!!! I'm just happy to see that you got the chance to see that for yourself because actually seeing a well managed company firsthand definitely inspires one to be conscientious... versatile and take pride in a job well done.
With that being said,''seeing a well managed company first hand''working ''together'' with the Teamsters Union made it possible for each and every ABF employee and their families aspire to the 'American Dream'...I know because I was one of those BLESSED employees!!!!...Was it easy,of course not...There's not a company in the world that's been around for 100 years(1923),that hasn't had it's trials and tribulations through the decades...ABF was no different,but because of the 'respect' and 'fairness' that both Management and Union had for each other,they created ''together''an atmosphere and working environment that was second to none in the trucking industry...It was an honor and privilege to work and retire from Arkansas Best Freight!!!!!....And if I may,let me just say to both Management and the Teamster Union!!!!....''YA DONE GOOD''👏

With that being said,''seeing a well managed company first hand''working ''together'' with the Teamsters Union made it possible for each and every ABF employee and their families aspire to the 'American Dream'...I know because I was one of those BLESSED employees!!!!...Was it easy,of course not...There's not a company in the world that's been around for 100 years(1923),that hasn't had it's trials and tribulations through the decades...ABF was no different,but because of the 'respect' and 'fairness' that both Management and Union had for each other,they created ''together''an atmosphere and working environment that was second to none in the trucking industry...It was an honor and privilege to work and retire from Arkansas Best Freight!!!!!....And if I may,let me just say to both Management and the Teamster Union!!!!....''YA DONE GOOD''👏
Here's when ABF celebrated it's 90 years...

Isn't a legacy something you hear about after the death?
Sorry blade... but as usual... you're mistaken again.

4989245138.png

https://www.goodlifeproject.com/articles/how-to-leave-a-legacy/

The Importance of Leaving a Legacy and How You Can Do It By Example

A legacy is something transmitted by or received from an ancestor or predecessor. Your legacy is the total of your life experiences, beliefs, values, and traditions passed down from generation to generation. It is the good, bad, and everything you leave behind.

Leaving a legacy is important for many reasons. It can serve as an example for future generations, preserving memories and teaching valuable life lessons. It can also be a source of pride and motivation, inspiring others to strive for greatness, regardless of their circumstances.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/importance-leaving-legacy-how-you-can-do-example-glenn-daniels-ii

Sorry to disappoint... again!

Careful now... your antagonism and hopes to see unions fail is really beginning to show because it seems to me that you just can't stand to see that a company and it's union members actually can have a mutually cooperative and profitable relationship. So you see... your attempt at diminishing the creator's thanks and appreciation for being able to work and retire from a company such as ABF just got thwarted.

Sorry blade... but as usual... you're mistaken again.

4989245138.png

https://www.goodlifeproject.com/articles/how-to-leave-a-legacy/

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/importance-leaving-legacy-how-you-can-do-example-glenn-daniels-ii

Sorry to disappoint... again!

Careful now... your antagonism and hopes to see unions fail is really beginning to show because it seems to me that you just can't stand to see that a company and it's union members actually can have a mutually cooperative and profitable relationship. So you see... your attempt at diminishing the creator's thanks and appreciation for being able to work and retire from a company such as ABF just got thwarted.
Read your post again. "The best way to leave a legacy". The article is, "How to leave a legacy", NOT how to live a legacy.

Read your post again. "The best way to leave a legacy". The article is, "How to leave a legacy", NOT how to live a legacy.
Way to split hairs blade.....everyone here understands exactly what the original poster and brother Docker are saying except for you....and by the way read the first line in that little box...it says exactly what you said the article didn't...."Live your legacy"....well known people (politicians, actors, CEOs) many of them worry about their legacies before death, because that is when you build a legacy...

LOL... now your desperation is really starting to show... that along with your dysfunctional behavior and self-righteous attitude.

Sure... those are the articles all right... it's amazing that you figured that all out by yourself. Just what do you think this thread is all about? It's about how ABF is leaving a legacy...

But... let us not forget what that impudent question was of yours...

Isn't a legacy something you hear about after the death?

And here was the answer which that first article clearly defined for you...

People tend to think of legacy purely in terms of something that happens after you die. But the truth is, legacies are formed while you’re alive — and the best way to leave a legacy is to live it, day by day.

And here is the importance of leaving such a legacy which this 2nd article provided...

Leaving a legacy is important for many reasons. It can serve as an example for future generations, preserving memories and teaching valuable life lessons. It can also be a source of pride and motivation, inspiring others to strive for greatness, regardless of their circumstances.

But your ego just can't accept that fact... can it? IMO... your need to somehow prove that you are never wrong by now trying to make something of nothing is overshadowing what little common sense and dignity you have left... even borderline foolish and childish.

That's a great philosophy you have there... only expecting to hear about someone's or something's legacy after they're gone.

Last edited:
Way to split hairs blade.....everyone here understands exactly what the original poster and brother Docker are saying except for you....and by the way read the first line in that little box...it says exactly what you said the article didn't...."Live your legacy"....well known people (politicians, actors, CEOs) many of them worry about their legacies before death, because that is when you build a legacy...
Evidently something about this thread upsets the poor fellow... so much so that he feels the need to trash it... but some people just aren't smart enough to realize that...

4388587459.jpg

Semantics...ambiguity...connotation,what we have here is a bona fide 'provocateur'...You see,a casual objective observer who has never even heard of ABF,picks up a magazine and reads an article,while some other casual observer reads the same article on the internet about this 100 year old trucking company not only surviving,but thriving as a Union Teamster freight company...A 'positive' story,an ''American Success Story''!!!!...A story that every blue collar working class American can be 'proud' of!!!!...YES!!!!...But of course,NOT Blade...Why?...Because this whole ABF Legacy thread on this forum goes against his complete ''corporate narrative''...this is just one of his many corporate posts...''Submit to the realities of the 21st century or die''....This thread just blew his whole BS corporate narrative to SMITHEREENS,and he knows it,and that's why he lashed out with his subtle and provocative legacy post...Blade's a corporate water boy,a corporate Jamie Dimon wannabe who says he's not anti-union,but you know damn well he's not pro-union either...I've had my fill of men like Blade and his ''economic realities'' 40 years ago!!!!...and hear we are!!!!