Estes | Ad for Columbus, Oh. Extra board drivers wanted.

Screamy

TB Lurker
Credits
Columbus has an ad for xtra brd. drivers. I applied a couple months ago but didnt hear squat. I wonder whats up.
Do they run like Tue - Sat and give u 2 days off? (or sumpthin like that). They were braggin like drivers averaged 74 big ones($) last year. Did a bunch of them get pissed and quit ?

At my barn when a scheduled linehaul bid opens up and an extra board driver gets the chance to snap it up, it creates extra board openings. That's what I'm waiting for anyway.

And a lot of times the extraboard opening gets filled with by a city driver.

Be a Hub driver, they like us the most, cause when it gets slow they will let go of you know good Linehaul guys first, no matter how long you been there.

Somewhere along the line they work the dock and that's hourly pay. I don't know the rate per hour though.

Something like $21 an hour on the dock and .52 a mile driving for hub. When freight is moving good they have the option to run to a nearby terminal at regular linehaul pay. It's not a bad gig. I have a friend that grosses $1,400 - $1,500 just doing a couple extra short hops thru the week. He has one of the shortest hub runs company wide.

Something like $21 an hour on the dock and .52 a mile driving for hub. When freight is moving good they have the option to run to a nearby terminal at regular linehaul pay. It's not a bad gig. I have a friend that grosses $1,400 - $1,500 just doing a couple extra short hops thru the week. He has one of the shortest hub runs company wide.

Sounds good. Is it easier to stay awake at night working docks/short shuttle or linehaul?

Sounds good. Is it easier to stay awake at night working docks/short shuttle or linehaul?

I guess it depends on what your capable of. The guy I mentioned sleeps 12 hours a day and normally finds a ramp on the way back for 30-45 min. I sleep anywhere from 3 to 6 hours a day and maybe hit a ramp 3 times a year.

I guess it depends on what your capable of. The guy I mentioned sleeps 12 hours a day and normally finds a ramp on the way back for 30-45 min. I sleep anywhere from 3 to 6 hours a day and maybe hit a ramp 3 times a year.

Occasionally Id hit a ramp for a 15min quicknap and was gtg. (Snacking can keep you from dozing for some reason.)

My drivetime was 4 hrs up, 4 hrs down, plus break and set twice.
I tried to make it 12am start, ending at about 10am.

Id usually sleep 8 hrs a day and was gtg. Occasionally having trouble with a day I couldnt sleep well.(usually middle of the week)

Working a dock in between the running will be different for me, especially at night.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yeah, but we aren't concerned about the truck stop parking lot Dew...LMAO.. If they cut us back to 62 mph, you'll have to get a second job....LOL

Yeah, but we aren't concerned about the truck stop parking lot Dew...LMAO.. If they cut us back to 62 mph, you'll have to get a second job....LOL

At 62 mph. They'd have to make my 400 mile trip into a 200 mile laydown. I would just have to sell more homemade liquor on my off duty time to compensate the lost wages and help out with the longer barstool time it would create. I'm afraid my liver would throw the white flag at 62