ABF | Admitted Rat !!!

peter guzinnia

TB Lurker
Credits
What does one do after 5 years and a fellow brother (RAT) finally admits that they called the TM at home to report that another brother backed into a van and caused damage to the trailer? By the RAT calling the TM the driver was brought in and almost fired, after talking to the driver, the driver was not aware of any damage so the driver did not report it to the supervisor that was on duty. Luckily the driver was only given a letter.

Just want to clarify that the person who called told you himself. If he did then it's simple, take him out back to the cornfield and give him a strong talking to!! Oh, now wait that's what we did 20yrs ago. Today you need to be very careful as to what you say around him and with him in earshot. Have a talk with your fellow workers, so everyone knows and can make their own decisions, on how they wish to deal with him. I personally would take a lesson from my Amish neighbors and shun him!!

Just want to clarify that the person who called told you himself. If he did then it's simple, take him out back to the cornfield and give him a strong talking to!! Oh, now wait that's what we did 20yrs ago. Today you need to be very careful as to what you say around him and with him in earshot. Have a talk with your fellow workers, so everyone knows and can make their own decisions, on how they wish to deal with him. I personally would take a lesson from my Amish neighbors and shun him!!
I recall Blanket partys usually made the point!

Old days don't remember any rats, people knew better, plus the best they could hope for was a blanket party, today's world the best you can hope for is everybody ignore, shun him, ice him out.

What does one do after 5 years and a fellow brother (RAT) finally admits that they called the TM at home to report that another brother backed into a van and caused damage to the trailer? By the RAT calling the TM the driver was brought in and almost fired, after talking to the driver, the driver was not aware of any damage so the driver did not report it to the supervisor that was on duty. Luckily the driver was only given a letter.
If you can prove it bring him up on charges for undermining another brother….

Just steer clear. You know what you need to know about this person, act accordingly. There isn't much else you can do, especially for something that happened 5 years ago.

Ignore all the "back in my day" nonsense. This isn't back then and the decisions you make will follow you longer than you want them to. DAC reports, social media and recruiters that investigate better than most police departments make this an easy call.

Did this person tell you this himself or is this second hand information or a rumor? Before you do something stupid make sure the source is accurate.

I really hate F#kin rats.
I do too but I also hate those who start rumors. There has always been a few on the roster that would tell lies about the local or individual(s) because of their dislike of others. Then there are those who are gullible & believe a lie & spread the rumor as truth. On numerous occasions those rumors were proven to be false but soon the same rumor mongers would be at it again with the same followers. The timeline of 5 years for this to come out sounds suspicious to me. If this person did in fact snitch on a fellow Teamster he violated the oath he took when was sworn in that he would never knowingly cause harm to a fellow Teamster. I assume all of us are sworn by the oath.

Last edited:
I do too but I also hate those who start rumors. There has always been a few on the roster that would tell lies about the local or individual(s) because of their dislike of others. Then there are those who are gullible & believe a lie & spread the rumor as truth. On numerous occasions those rumors were proven to be false but soon the same rumor mongers would be at it again with the same followers. The timeline of 5 years for this to come out sounds suspicious to me. If this person did in fact snitch on a fellow Teamster he violated the oath he took when was sworn in that he would never knowingly cause harm to a fellow Teamster. I assume all of us are sworn by the oath.
The proof I have came directly from my TM. The rat called him at home on the day this happened. TM also told another driver about it. This all came out after the rat made a comment last week, "If I see such and such a driver in the yard run into something, what am I suppose to do? Come in and Tell Josh (current TM) " My response to him , You've done it before. And the verbal war was on. All I can say is this is not BS or a rumor , just a fact .

The proof I have came directly from my TM. The rat called him at home on the day this happened. TM also told another driver about it. This all came out after the rat made a comment last week, "If I see such and such a driver in the yard run into something, what am I suppose to do? Come in and Tell Josh (current TM) " My response to him , You've done it before. And the verbal war was on. All I can say is this is not BS or a rumor , just a fact .
If I saw a fellow Teamster have an accident I would go to him immediately & tell him to not move the vehicle till he had reported it & an accident report was filed. The kiss of death in freight is not reporting an accident. I know of two or more who lost their jobs for not reporting an accident to a supervisor. There is little a BA can do at a discharge hearing to get a job back for a Teamster if he did not report an accident. There is nothing more clear in the contract than the consequences for failure to report an accident.
I am glad you cleared this up. Every Teamster at the terminal should be careful what they say in front of him. He might be surprised that most in management also don't respect a snitch.

If I saw a fellow Teamster have an accident I would go to him immediately & tell him to not move the vehicle till he had reported it & an accident report was filed. The kiss of death in freight is not reporting an accident. I know of two or more who lost their jobs for not reporting an accident to a supervisor. There is little a BA can do at a discharge hearing to get a job back for a Teamster if he did not report an accident. There is nothing more clear in the contract than the consequences for failure to report an accident.
I am glad you cleared this up. Every Teamster at the terminal should be careful what they say in front of him. He might be surprised that most in management also don't respect a snitch.
The worst is when they don't report damage & hope the other person don't find it. Referring to city operation who use the same truck every day....

In New Jersey if your hurt or have an accident, you call a Lawyer than a Doctor, just the way it is