ODFL | Advice for new hire

Mike03

TB Lurker
Credits
Does OD hire drivers with less then a year? The lady on the phone told me to fax my resume but then I told her I had 8 months experience. She had to go ask someone and then came back and told me I needed a year. I have the fax number should I just send in my resume anyways? Ive been driving fuel tankers and im ready to start my career with this company. I have a clean driving record and good work history. Thanks for the help.

Could'nt hurt to send in the resume,but don't be suprised(if you're indeed offered a position)to be classified as a trainee,which means you'll be sent with a driver trainer for a month,Line-haul or P/D which is no real disaster you'll still be paid though at a lower rate which is still a hell of a lot more than most truck-load outfits pay their top drivers.Good Luck!

I came right out of a CDL training school in Feb of 2012 and was working for OD in March of 2012. I did a couple months in the yard switching trailers and then went to the City for the rest of my first year before I ended up in line haul but I worked hard, put up with a lot of stuff and they saw that but in the end I got what I wanted. A good paying job with good benefits. I did not have a speeding ticket on my record going back to 1990 so I think I was a pretty good bet that I would make a safe driver for them.

To answer your question, of course you turn in a resume. Why would you not. My very first local job I got the guy on the phone told me they weren't hiring. I still drove 2 hrs to there main office. I got the job that day. You never know what's going to happen. Take the initiative, it goes a long way. Id rather show up in person than fax a resume. It took a while to get in OD but I was persistant and I've been here 10 yrs now. I know 1 thing, no one is going to come to your home and ask you if you want a job. You got to go get it. I also think the terminal manager can have his own preference with experience.The company might say 6 months experience, but he may prefer a year.

that is right. I was told when i walked in the door looking to work the dock many years ago now,I was told they did not need anyone.Once I told them I already worked dock at a competing carrier they changed their minds.Have experience and CDL and show up asking to speak to someone works if they are in need.The website just does not show everything available.We just hired another driver two weeks ago and he started last week and the website never did show needing anyone at my terminal.