Yellow | After Jevic?

mudhole

TB Lurker
Credits
I would like to get your thoughts on the impact of the tonnage that Jevic will no longer haul. What happened to those drivers is just plain wrong, having come from CF, I know what this feels like. Does anyone think this is another company Yellow bought and dropped. Like Preston, they closed? Will Yellow send sales people to pick over the scraps? Remember, Jevic hauled a lot of high dollar haz-mat.:hide:

In 84 or 85 yellow bought us (International Carriers Limited) and within a few months everyone was out of a job. Thats how they got Zug Island and Canandian rights. Seems to be what Yellow does best. Buy/pick the bones/toss away. Don't think they know how to make money any other way. If it were'nt for all the pain it would cause I would pray this company fall off the face of the earth. :soapbox:

I will admit my knowlege of how business works is vague. My thoughts are that YRC put them in a hole that they been diggin out of. The hole was just too deep. I base that on 2 ideas. (1) Rdwy was debt free when we were bought, now were having our terms surveyed for a loan. (2) I'm anti Yellow. Not scientific, I know, just my gut talking.

just like flattop said what did yellow have to do with their demise.go on the jevic threads and read them.besides i can name at least ten companies in nj that have gone belly up in the past two months. the only ones who are going to weather this storm are the ones with deep pockets.

I tried to explain it if you don't want to except my thoughts so be it. We all see the world our own way.:smilie_132:

just like flattop said what did yellow have to do with their demise.go on the jevic threads and read them.besides i can name at least ten companies in nj that have gone belly up in the past two months. the only ones who are going to weather this storm are the ones with deep pockets.

Or deep credit (YELLOW) me thinks their rating is deep (or in a deep hole, can't quite rememder:biglaugh:)

Who's getting the freight?

Is Yellow getting any tonnage from Jevics demise?

I am a laid off road driver from CVE looking to work more than 2 days a week.

I do not like to hear of mass loss of jobs but it is my understanding that consolidation is needed to get freight prices up, allowing for a healthier industry. consolidation has helped the rail industry over the years.

I will admit my knowlege of how business works is vague. My thoughts are that YRC put them in a hole that they been diggin out of. The hole was just too deep. I base that on 2 ideas. (1) Rdwy was debt free when we were bought, now were having our terms surveyed for a loan. (2) I'm anti Yellow. Not scientific, I know, just my gut talking.

Wolf, you are always coming after me:hysterical:, now it is time for me to return the favor. Before Yellow bought Roadway and CF was still up and running, we were the big three. There was a time when Roadway was definitely operating better than Yellow, fractionally. But the five or so years before CF went under and Roadway was bought, Yellow was operating better than both. CF was running at 103 or worse for about three years. Roadway was operating at 98 to 99. Yellow was operating at 96 to 97. Roadway and Yellow were neck-in-neck for total operating revenue. CF had fallen several million behind. This ain't bs, this is fact. If you don't believe me, you can look it up. We were all driving garbage in the city. CF started Conway, which, of course, still exists. Roadway started RPS and Roadway airfreight. RPS is now FedEx Ground, while the airfreight division was closed down. They bought Viking, Coles, Spartan and Central. Coles and Spartan went belly-up. Central has changed hands a couple times and is struggling. Viking survived and was bought by FedEx along with American. Yellow bought Saia, WestEx and Jevic. Saia and WestEx combined and are still in business. Back in the day, Yellow bought lots of authorities. Colorado authority came from their purchase of Watson-Wilson. The point is, all these companies have bought and sold companies over the years, some have survived and some haven't. Before our combining, we were blood competitors, even though we were friends personally. Yellow bought Roadway and nobody over there has liked that since. That is understandable, we were enemies. But all that aside, Yellow was no worse than Roadway, and I ain't gonna' sit here and listen to it anymore. And just because we are YRC, the fact is, that stands for Yellow-Roadway. Nobody has changed that name or their individual names yet. And there is no reason to get pissed yet, until they do. And if we hadn't combined, I contend we would both be weaker than we are. Okay, well I have sufficiently ticked a whole lot of people off, y'all have a good evening.:smilie_132:

Wolf, you are always coming after me:hysterical:, now it is time for me to return the favor. Before Yellow bought Roadway and CF was still up and running, we were the big three. There was a time when Roadway was definitely operating better than Yellow, fractionally. But the five or so years before CF went under and Roadway was bought, Yellow was operating better than both. CF was running at 103 or worse for about three years. Roadway was operating at 98 to 99. Yellow was operating at 96 to 97. Roadway and Yellow were neck-in-neck for total operating revenue. CF had fallen several million behind. This ain't bs, this is fact. If you don't believe me, you can look it up. We were all driving garbage in the city. CF started Conway, which, of course, still exists. Roadway started RPS and Roadway airfreight. RPS is now FedEx Ground, while the airfreight division was closed down. They bought Viking, Coles, Spartan and Central. Coles and Spartan went belly-up. Central has changed hands a couple times and is struggling. Viking survived and was bought by FedEx along with American. Yellow bought Saia, WestEx and Jevic. Saia and WestEx combined and are still in business. Back in the day, Yellow bought lots of authorities. Colorado authority came from their purchase of Watson-Wilson. The point is, all these companies have bought and sold companies over the years, some have survived and some haven't. Before our combining, we were blood competitors, even though we were friends personally. Yellow bought Roadway and nobody over there has liked that since. That is understandable, we were enemies. But all that aside, Yellow was no worse than Roadway, and I ain't gonna' sit here and listen to it anymore. And just because we are YRC, the fact is, that stands for Yellow-Roadway. Nobody has changed that name or their individual names yet. And there is no reason to get pissed yet, until they do. And if we hadn't combined, I contend we would both be weaker than we are. Okay, well I have sufficiently ticked a whole lot of people off, y'all have a good evening.:smilie_132:

Just wondered if you took a breath during the time it took you to type this. :whistling:

great post !! Yellow buying Roadway was the best thing for both companies and probably gave us all another 10 years of work.

Dear Wolf,

In regard to your statement, "(1) Rdwy was debt free when we were bought, now were having our terms surveyed for a loan," I recommend a quick perusal of the YRC annual reports (2006 for example), which disclose the assets and liabilities involved in the Roadway acquisistion. The liabilities include $225,000,000 in senior notes payable and $317,500,000 in other long term liabilities. Not exactly debt-free.

"Roadway Express" was a debt free company since its spin off from Roadway Services. We were debt free when purchased by Yellow with credit

AL former Jevic driver

We are going off topic guys. I hate em' too but back to the question of who gets the freight?

You have to take a look at how we did things. we were the largest LTL offering HEATED service. Not just a hot room on the dock and put a blanket on it so it won't freeze. Our docks were heated. the trailers that you see with a small version of a reefer unit, were heaters. 2cyl. diesel engine with the radiator on the inside of the trailer. fan inside blows the heat around. trailers are insulated with Styrofoam sheets covered by plywood, the roof also. We could and did guarantee that the shipment didn't freeze. A lot of chemicals that are not haz-mat require heated service. example, anything that is a latex base turns into garbage if frozen and thawed out. We did chemicals and Haz-mat and I have to say we were real good at it.

To the best of my knowledge the only carrier that could come close will be New Century. They have the same equipment. Seeing that the same guy started both companies that's only normal.

There are fewer and fewer companies willing to take as much haz-mat as we did. Keeping up with the constantly changing laws and not to mention the insurance costs involved.

Well I'm done throwing my 2 cents in.