Estes | Altoona and Williamsport, PA questions?

m3sews

TB Lurker
Credits
Which position is more secure and better pay, line haul or utility? How steady were you this past year? Projections for this year?

Current company is the same as the other job since Jevic, talk of work until dh gets there, then work 2-3 days per week. We saw Estes is hiring in our local area. Dh doesn't want to move again to more of the same old. He wants a full time job that really works at least 5 days a week and pays well.

thanks,
m3sews

Linehaul is probably the best pay on average but each terminal is different. Extraboard (linehaul) drivers are supposed to get the load first and Utility drivers are supposed to be put on the back burner according to the memo I read. They say utility guys always have something to do but thats not really the case. Our utility guys say, "when it's slow on the road, It's slow in the city." so they get the golden gift to stay home through the winter months. However, I do know utility guys that have been with the company for 20 years without ever bidding on something else. I'm sure they have a good reason for that unless they just have plenty of money. I think the utility job is more secure because they only laid off extraboarders in the past.

Big Blue money???? Oh, how I miss that!!! Linehaul extraboard is definitey as close as you'll get to that.
You'll make money no matter what you choose, but it's pretty well known that linehaul extaboard are the ones making the most, and consistently.

if you so chose, you were able to fill the 70 hr log, last 2 months. been mandatory quite a bit of that time....time for a break!!

Big Blue money???? Oh, how I miss that!!! Linehaul extraboard is definitey as close as you'll get to that.
You'll make money no matter what you choose, but it's pretty well known that linehaul extaboard are the ones making the most, and consistently.

for a newby any way... some of those older schedual drivers knock down a pretty good chuck of change,and home every day to boot

I know we have plenty of scheldules that pay well over $300 a day and back home all around the clock. I run those schedules periododically and would not bid on any of them.

why's that Mildew ? to many miles to drive back and forth to work ? or does it get boring when you know of every bump in the road and have nothing else to keep you occupied ? I ran a scheduale for awhile, and the latter was the problem for me, plus it didn't pay worth a crap

why's that Mildew ? to many miles to drive back and forth to work ? or does it get boring when you know of every bump in the road and have nothing else to keep you occupied ? I ran a scheduale for awhile, and the latter was the problem for me, plus it didn't pay worth a crap

Oh yea! the commute is one thing, the over anxious people on the other end, the same old thing everyday, the bench time and hurry up and waiting, the working 14 hours and no free time. Then they cancel those things sometimes when you already arrived for work. I wouldn't mind a long laydown run though but not a 3 and 2.

I couldn't agree more mildew. The only bid I would ever take would be a laydown and back with a meet on Friday. I don't even want a 3-2. I like my weekends off now. It's been a long time since I got quality time with the family and I'm really enjoying it.

Oh yea! the commute is one thing, the over anxious people on the other end, the same old thing everyday, the bench time and hurry up and waiting, the working 14 hours and no free time. Then they cancel those things sometimes when you already arrived for work. I wouldn't mind a long laydown run though but not a 3 and 2.

pretty much sums it up for what I have experienced also

What is a laydown and 3 and 2?

Its called a 3 and 2 but its actually a 6 and 4. Work 6 days one week and 4 the next. Normally starts out Monday night and ends Sunday morning first week then Tuesday night the next week and ends Saturday morning. It pretty much destroys every Saturday.