Yellow | Angry with the teamsters

mud_cat

TB Lurker
Credits
Like a lot of people I received a check in the mail for $65 and a withdrawal card from the union. After over 20+ years of going to work on a freezing dock, 20+ yrs of injuries that will last with me a lifetime. Driving trucks with no ac or power steering in the hottest of summers, It saddened me to finally realize the 20+ yrs of my life I sold and now can't get back.

I was a union employee and I was proud of it. After 2009 I feel my union failed me. They lied to me from that day till the day they paid me $65. I didn't want that money or the withdrawal card. I wanted an opportunity. My president Mr President The Dishonorable Sean O'Brien promised me. He promised us! 22k good union paying jobs. Where are they Mr President? All I have seen are rejections for employment from other companies. I've seen No jobs with the movies, no jobs with ABF or Tforce. I admit One union company did hire me for 1 day. And after taking my drug test and physical for Kroger, excited to start working, I received a call on a Thursday not to report for work my first day Monday. It was a letter sent down from corporate not to hire any new employees. At first I thought it was me until my phone started ringing from others who go hired and got the same call.

Im not mad at yellow, I'm mad at my union leaders. Some stood up at our last meeting and cried while talking to us. They weren't years of sadness. It was a trick they learned from the movies. It was a fake left go right.
How can I tell another group of people how great the union at their job can be or will be, after everything we've seen?

I actually work part time now at the airport.
It too has a union and how about NOT 1 PERSON THERE KNEW WHO THEIR BUSINESS AGENT WAS!! Well being the used to be member I was. I gave everyone his name and phone number and told them to call. When he came out to the job all he wanted to know was how did we get his number. Smdh..

This letter means nothing. But every opportunity I get, I'm going to tell people DONT DO IT! Keep the teamsters out of your place of employment. You expect your company to lie and cheat you. But the union, all they want is a car, an office
an your union dues. In the end you'll loose betting on that horse.

Well stated, I had a similar experience although it was many years ago. Looks like there at least is consistency in how the teamster treats members.
However my experience motivated me to start my own business. It was the greatest experience in my life.
I will admit I harbor very ill feeling towards the teamsters. I too felt like as long as I was throwing $$$ their way things were great. However once the local allowed my employer to remove the teamsters and replace them with another union, we all were discarded by the teamsters union. No one at the teamster union cared and we were left to fend for ourselves.
I will never trust another union in my life. But I made something great from the experience.
You need to do the same, find a job doing something you love!

Well stated, I had a similar experience although it was many years ago. Looks like there at least is consistency in how the teamster treats members.
However my experience motivated me to start my own business. It was the greatest experience in my life.
I will admit I harbor very ill feeling towards the teamsters. I too felt like as long as I was throwing $$$ their way things were great. However once the local allowed my employer to remove the teamsters and replace them with another union, we all were discarded by the teamsters union. No one at the teamster union cared and we were left to fend for ourselves.
I will never trust another union in my life. But I made something great from the experience.
Too bad you are full of stuff. If one union was replaced by another, then there was a decertification VOTE. I guess you FORGOT about that. Or did not mention it because it does NOT support your absurd assertion it's all the Teamsters fault.
You are the union. Every concession granted to Yellow/YRCW was approved by majority VOTE of the affected members, on a collective bargaining agreement. It was NOT O'Brien and the Teamsters who went delinquent on H.W.& P. That was Hawkins and Yellow. Make no mistake Hawkins was acutely aware of the consequences of going delinquent. His demand that the Teamster employees of Yellow VOTE on a COO, was never going to happen. COOs never have been subject to voting by affected employees. The proposed COO violated nearly EVERY article of the Yellow NMFA. When O'Brien offered to open the agreement, Hawkins refused and LIED about giving ALL Teamster Yellow companies a $5.00 raise. When he knew the lenders would not agree, until the COO was approved, as proposed.
Why don't you slither back under the rock you've been living under? You appear to be a miserable excuse of a human. And from your rhetoric you were never a real Teamster. I'm going to use a much better adjective for you, "MESTER".
Ho, ho, ho Merry Christmas. :1036316054:

Too bad you are full of stuff. If one union was replaced by another, then there was a decertification VOTE. I guess you FORGOT about that. Or did not mention it because it does NOT support your absurd assertion it's all the Teamsters fault.
You are the union. Every concession granted to Yellow/YRCW was approved by majority VOTE of the affected members, on a collective bargaining agreement. It was NOT O'Brien and the Teamsters who went delinquent on H.W.& P. That was Hawkins and Yellow. Make no mistake Hawkins was acutely aware of the consequences of going delinquent. His demand that the Teamster employees of Yellow VOTE on a COO, was never going to happen. COOs never have been subject to voting by affected employees. The proposed COO violated nearly EVERY article of the Yellow NMFA. When O'Brien offered to open the agreement, Hawkins refused and LIED about giving ALL Teamster Yellow companies a $5.00 raise. When he knew the lenders would not agree, until the COO was approved, as proposed.
Why don't you slither back under the rock you've been living under? You appear to be a miserable excuse of a human. And from your rhetoric you were never a real Teamster. I'm going to use a much better adjective for you, "MESTER".
I tell all I know, the union is a business. It is 60% good and 40% bad.
Learn the rules, learn to fight for yourself and don't expect much from the union leadership.
There is a reason union membership is so low.

Glad you started your own business....so go mind it and stay out of ours!

The teamsters are like lawyers. You pay them for representation. Sometimes things go the way you want them to and sometimes they don't. Yellow failed because they sucked at money management and tried to buy their way to number 1 status. That's a bad combination.

I do feel that Sean O'Brien did a poor job in handling the situation. He made calls on your behalf without asking what you wanted to do. He got personal with Hawkins when it should've been all business. That's poor leadership.

I don't remember if he asked employees if they wanted to strike when Yellow wasn't able to pay into H&W, but he made that call. He also didn't bring any offers to the table and didn't release the surgery results. If my lawyer rejects an offer without brining it to me, that's grounds for malpractice.

That Sunday night hail Mary was him shifting the blame from him to Yellow because he knew yellow couldn't recover from stopping pick ups and the threat of a strike. He also knew that if Yellow folded because of the strike, it'd be bad publicity.

Oddly enough the name of the employer (Yellow) carries more of a stigma than the union affiliation. Supervisors, good supervisors are having hard time finding jobs at LTL carriers. They are not union, only employees of a failed company. Yellow left a mark on the LTL industry, trucking industry, manufacturing industry, supply chain and most importantly the dedicated employees union and nonunion who made countless sacrifices to the company, physically, emotionally, financially and mentally only to be terminated.

well said, if you all remember ..
If you all remember it was O'Brien that kept our insurance paid when Yell wouldn't ...
Not 'couldn't' but 'wouldn't'

Like a lot of people I received a check in the mail for $65 and a withdrawal card from the union. After over 20+ years of going to work on a freezing dock, 20+ yrs of injuries that will last with me a lifetime. Driving trucks with no ac or power steering in the hottest of summers, It saddened me to finally realize the 20+ yrs of my life I sold and now can't get back.

I was a union employee and I was proud of it. After 2009 I feel my union failed me. They lied to me from that day till the day they paid me $65. I didn't want that money or the withdrawal card. I wanted an opportunity. My president Mr President The Dishonorable Sean O'Brien promised me. He promised us! 22k good union paying jobs. Where are they Mr President? All I have seen are rejections for employment from other companies. I've seen No jobs with the movies, no jobs with ABF or Tforce. I admit One union company did hire me for 1 day. And after taking my drug test and physical for Kroger, excited to start working, I received a call on a Thursday not to report for work my first day Monday. It was a letter sent down from corporate not to hire any new employees. At first I thought it was me until my phone started ringing from others who go hired and got the same call.

Im not mad at yellow, I'm mad at my union leaders. Some stood up at our last meeting and cried while talking to us. They weren't years of sadness. It was a trick they learned from the movies. It was a fake left go right.
How can I tell another group of people how great the union at their job can be or will be, after everything we've seen?

I actually work part time now at the airport.
It too has a union and how about NOT 1 PERSON THERE KNEW WHO THEIR BUSINESS AGENT WAS!! Well being the used to be member I was. I gave everyone his name and phone number and told them to call. When he came out to the job all he wanted to know was how did we get his number. Smdh..

This letter means nothing. But every opportunity I get, I'm going to tell people DONT DO IT! Keep the teamsters out of your place of employment. You expect your company to lie and cheat you. But the union, all they want is a car, an office
an your union dues. In the end you'l

The teamsters are like lawyers. You pay them for representation. Sometimes things go the way you want them to and sometimes they don't. Yellow failed because they sucked at money management and tried to buy their way to number 1 status. That's a bad combination.

I do feel that Sean O'Brien did a poor job in handling the situation. He made calls on your behalf without asking what you wanted to do. He got personal with Hawkins when it should've been all business. That's poor leadership.

I don't remember if he asked employees if they wanted to strike when Yellow wasn't able to pay into H&W, but he made that call. He also didn't bring any offers to the table and didn't release the surgery results. If my lawyer rejects an offer without brining it to me, that's grounds for malpractice.

That Sunday night hail Mary was him shifting the blame from him to Yellow because he knew yellow couldn't recover from stopping pick ups and the threat of a strike. He also knew that if Yellow folded because of the strike, it'd be bad publicity.
Didn't they send out surveys before all this crap happened?? Besides not paying health and welfare that alone was a reason for the strike threat.. Yellow shut the company down NOT the union.. Yellow knew what they were doing, rewarded themselves handsomely with bonuses just before the shutdown.. Another question for you.. If Yellow knew they couldn't make the benefits payments then why was it okay to take bonuses??

Why would you be mad at the Teamsters. I might be wrong, but I never looked at them as an employment agency. I lost my job 3 different times because the companies went out of business. Every time it happened, I just went and got another Job, and I got the new jobs by putting in job applications, never went to the union hall. I never got one the next day. Some time it took a couple of weeks and other times it took months, But I always wanted to stay union because of the pay and benefits. As far as singing the Praises of YRC, it was a once great company destroyed by terrible decisions made by horrible leadership. And it wasn't Obrien standing by those bad decisions, it was Hoffa Jr. If O'brien had his way, you would still have your job with good wages and benefits. Just ask the teamsters who work at union companies with competent management.

Last edited:
Didn't they send out surveys before all this crap happened?? Besides not paying health and welfare that alone was a reason for the strike threat.. Yellow shut the company down NOT the union.. Yellow knew what they were doing, rewarded themselves handsomely with bonuses just before the shutdown.. Another question for you.. If Yellow knew they couldn't make the benefits payments then why was it okay to take bonuses??

They sent them out, but they never shared the results. I never said the union shutdown yellow, I clearly stated yellow had bad business practices but what the union did was shady and not in the best interests of the people they represent.

I never said it was ok to take bonuses. When did I say that was ok?

I don't blame the teamsters for yellows downfall. I blame them for not looking out for it's members the way I feel they should have. I feel we pay our dues and they feed us lies or misinformation. O'Brien said there would be union jobs for yellow. We know those jobs don't exist but he told the public it did and hauled tail on us in the end. He never mentioned us in the teamsters magazine or in media. I feel he sold us out again. Even worse than the Haufa and that crew.

Yellow went under for the same reason as every other closed company in any industry. Operating costs exceeded revenue. Much of those costs were uncontrollable debt service. Yellow made the choice to default on H&W and Pension payments in order to make payroll.
The union knew more than a year before Yellow filed bankruptcy that they needed to reduce costs. Phase 1 of One Yellow made that perfectly clear. SOB refused to acknowledge the problem and blocked the full implementation of One Yellow.
Your point about union members voting begs the question, why not let the members vote on Yellow's proposal?
Watching and waiting for Yellow's demise is not representation of the membership. The IBT is guilty of malpractice. The union's greatest responsibility to its dues paying members is job security. Instead, SOB posts a Yellow tombstone showing the IBT's intent to destroy Yellow and the 30,000 families that Yellow supported.

Oddly enough the name of the employer (Yellow) carries more of a stigma than the union affiliation. Supervisors, good supervisors are having hard time finding jobs at LTL carriers. They are not union, only employees of a failed company. Yellow left a mark on the LTL industry, trucking industry, manufacturing industry, supply chain and most importantly the dedicated employees union and nonunion who made countless sacrifices to the company, physically, emotionally, financially and mentally only to be terminated.
Welcome new Correctional Officers! Everyone wants to work with me be friends with the big guy!