Yellow | Any other barns get the "NO CELL PHONE USE WHILE DRIVING" letter?

Ranger409

TB Lurker
Credits
We just got the bad news over here at 809 that Big R says to pull the unit over where its safe to use the cell-phone.

No more driving and using cell-phones because some idiot study claims that using cellphones and driving, are as bad as driving drunk.

Well, they dont mention that this was using four-wheel drivers, not rig drivers, but whatever floats their boat, right?

This is even going to be held to P&D drivers with the company issue Nextels' on thier routes, not just LH and OTR.

Yeah, right ! I worked P&D before myself.

That's gonna happen. Not.

Anyone else get this notice yet?

I hate to agree with the company, but I hate driving with these idiots on the road and now you give them cell phones to play with.
I've seen people reading things, putting makeup on, and things that belong in their bedroom.
Your on the road to drive and drive safely. Its not just your life thats at stake.

I hate to agree with the company, but I hate driving with these idiots on the road and now you give them cell phones to play with.
I've seen people reading things, putting makeup on, and things that belong in their bedroom.
Your on the road to drive and drive safely. Its not just your life thats at stake.

I've been driving for damn near 35 years and I've never heard such B.S.!!
For years I have been driving with one hand on the wheel and one hand holding the C.B. microphone.
And just why is it ok for me to drive a damn truck gabbing on the C.B. but not with a cell phone?
I really don't care what some moron is doing in their car, THEY are not driving a truck!
What's next? No farting while driving? What a frekin JOKE!!

Think of it this way guys..When Big R calls you to ask when you will be in, let the phone ring. If you answer it, your breaking policy..right?? That is why there is voicemail. When you stop next, then call in.

Again, a case where they break their own policies.

Go hands free / Blue tooth, it's like night & day. Mustache Retired Roadway

Big 10-4 10-4 all day all night, worst time of day cell phones are used is the evening rush hour when people are trying desperately to rush to go nowhere and don't have a clue whats around them while driving but the conversation is whats for dinner and did you pick such and such up today.

Or the dreeded call from the dispatch " hey guy your all I got I need you to make a pick up hold up Mr. dispatch I can't talk right now or read your RDD message cause I'm in the left lane holding up two miles of traffic trying to get back in the right lane cause "i'm all you got":hysterical:

I've been driving for damn near 35 years and I've never heard such B.S.!!
For years I have been driving with one hand on the wheel and one hand holding the C.B. microphone.
And just why is it ok for me to drive a damn truck gabbing on the C.B. but not with a cell phone?
I really don't care what some moron is doing in their car, THEY are not driving a truck!
What's next? No farting while driving? What a frekin JOKE!!
No farting was mentioned over there in the "No Smoking In Conway Equiptment - in the CON-WAY FREIGHT FORUM" in post#8. I wonder is Roadway and Conway can hire some "smoke & fart" sniffers?

cell

they are talking as i type this in Albuquerque,NM
to ban cell phones while people are driving here in the state of Entrapment. they will pass it, it's another way for the city to make a buck. We have about 30 red lights cameras already and the city of ABQ is making a killing off of them.

to ban cell phones while people are driving here in the state of Entrapment. they will pass it, it's another way for the city to make a buck. We have about 30 red lights cameras already and the city of ABQ is making a killing off of them.

Sled dog the people there need to start a coalition against those traffic light cameras as they tried the same thing here but was defeated as the issue that got rid of the cameras was it cause more accidents then b/4 as the number of rear end accidents increased after the cameras were installed.

Sled dog the people there need to start a coalition against those traffic light cameras as they tried the same thing here but was defeated as the issue that got rid of the cameras was it cause more accidents then b/4 as the number of rear end accidents increased after the cameras were installed.

and whos fault would that be? the guy stopping for the red light or the guy who is tailgating and hoping to make it through the red light? seems like a no brainer to me.

Letter has been posted at 680- Raleigh,NC for over a year now. Most guys have blue tooth.

The RW Letter says hands-free BT systems isnt going to cut it with Big R. They say your attention is distracted no matter what.

No use while driving, period, except for 911 calls.

I have bluetooth myself and its a great thing to have but drivers need to learn to talk when traffic is lite or cruising on down the freeway, but they dont.

Oh well, when dispatch calls we can all say NO CAN DO, I was driving !!! :-)

Same here in California next year: Hands-free phone use only for all drivers, and a 25 dollar pop first offence, and a 50 dollar fine after that.

Gotta keep all those donut shops here open for business! ;-)

The rumor in Dallas is someone has already received a letter for this. Someone also said that some P&D ran over a Pedestrian in St Louis and that's what started all this. Any thruth to this? I have a very small BT headset. I guess I'll be as covert as possible and not use my lips much. Prentend I'm a ventriloquist.

could someone explain to me what the difference between holding a microphone to your mouth to talk on the c.b. and holding a cell phone is? i see no difference. to me they could be equally distracting. just makes you wonder when they will go after the c.b.

There had been an Arbitration decision before concerning Roadway and cellphones....thought you might like to review it?.....KK

(4) The Union's position is that on May 27, 1997, Bob Davidson, Roadway Express, sent an inter-office memorandum to the Southern Division District Managers and Labor Mangers. Roadway Inter-office Memo - Date: May 2 7, 1997, To: District Mangers Southern Division, From: Bob Davidson, Subject: Cellular Telephones. Cellular, telephones are not allowed in the workplace. They should not be on your person and/or used while on the dock violation of this policy will subject you to disciplinary action. The obvious purpose of the interoffice memo is to prohibit the use or possession of cellular phones while at the workplace.

On or about June 9, the respective terminal managers posted the bulletin in the various terminals to inform the employees not to have or use the cellular phones. The bulletins were posted on different dates and when the Local Union became aware of the bulletins, properly protested them in the form of grievances at each location. It should also be noted that the directive sent out by Bob Davidson, (Union exhibit 4), to Southern Division District Managers, is an inconsistent policy, as several areas in the south do not have this policy in effect. Locations such as Nashville, Tennessee; San Antonio, Texas; Oklahoma City, Oklahoma; just to name a few. Inconsistent application makes one immediately think of the landmark decision that was articulated by Arbitrator Daugherty in Enterprise Wire Arbitration Case 46, LA 359 (1066).

The Company would lead you to believe that operating a motor vehicle (truck) and using an electronic device such as a cellular phone, poses a safety threat. The Local Union would point out the positive uses of the cellular phones:

1. They do not pose a threat in the workplace, such as knives, handguns, etc.

2. The are not prohibited by any agency, nor are they in violation of a federal, state or local regulation. The only exception would be if you area flying below 10,000 feet.

3. It can and is useful incases of emergencies, such as accidents or observing violation of the law and being able to call 911. What better advertisement is there that the general public was assisted by a Roadway driver, by calling an ambulance or police on his cell phone.

4. Cell phones aid in personal family emergencies, I.E.: wives in labor, children injured, passing of a family member, etc. The list is endless of the possibilities. The Company would use the argument that their trucks have radios installed (Motorola) The truth is, some of the radios were either missing or not operational. Another benefit is being at a pickup or delivery and being delayed with no phones available or radio not operational or in a dead zone.Cell phones would definitely enhance the drivers ability to communicate with the employer for operation direction. Last but not least, the employee has two (2) personal breaks and a lunch period to do as he wishes as it is not illegal or places the equipment or public in danger.

The Company's position is this grievance is simply a protest of a posted work rule at our St. Petersburg, Florida terminal. The rule involves the use of cellular telephones while at work. (See exhibit 1). Article 42, Section 8 of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, which covers this terminal, clearly allow the Company to post and enforce work rules of this nature (See exhibit 2). The only limitation as defined by the Labor Agreement, is that the rule does not conflict with the provisions of the Labor Agreement. This is the only limitation. This work rule does not in any way conflict with the provisions of the Labor Agreement. On this point alone, the Union's request to have the rule removed should be denied.

The grievance in this particular case is asking the Company to allow employees to have their own personal cellular phones in their possession in case of emergencies (See exhibit 3 )). Of course, this is not a requirement of the Labor Agreement or we wouldn't be here with this issue. The remedy sought is improper. There are adequate systems in place to deal with emergencies anyway. Again, the remedy sought is improper.

In summary, it is the Company's position that the posted work rule is proper. It does not conflict with the provisions of the contract, therefore the work rules is reasonable. No further justification is required by this Labor Agreement. DECISION: BULLETIN IS PROPER. Case No. 1, Arbitration Hearings, December 9,1997; Local 79 v. Roadway Express.

There had been an Arbitration decision before concerning Roadway and cellphones....thought you might like to review it?.....KK
[/B]

Thanks, KK.

Yeah, no cellphones/use in the truck.

Did anyone tell these fools that the states and counties are pulling up all the call-boxes as no one needs them anymore?

Nope.

Did they stop to think about driver safety when you stop at some podunk place that accutaly has a working pay-phone to call in to dispatch?

Nope.

Did they stop to think that a 911 call from an evil cellphone could save someones life?

Nope.

Did they stop to think that pulling over to the side of a road or an offramp someplace can be more dangerous then just making a quick cell call when traffic is light and the road is clear?

Nope.

Just more C-Y-A regulations by these maga-corporations, with the big-wigs at the top riding around in luxury sedans and often having bodyguards to boot...with cellphones!