Yellow | Any other barns get the "NO CELL PHONE USE WHILE DRIVING" letter?

Just more C-Y-A regulations by these maga-corporations, with the big-wigs at the top riding around in luxury sedans and often having bodyguards to boot...with cellphones!
Hey Ranger and KK......great post, now we know the rules, you can C-Y-A, when it comes to cell phones. My favorite is when the cell phone thing was the big topic on the dock, supers telling everyone that they would be written up and the the TM comes hobbling down the dock, stops and takes a 10 minute phone call leaned up against a skid of freight.........."Do as we say, not as we do"....DS.

What we are doing at 120 is this.
If dispatch calls you on the company phone, you can not answer it until you can safely pull over and stop.Most of the time that means at your nest stop.
So, if that is a half hour away, so be it.
But personally, I am waiting for the first letter to be issued.
At that point a grievance will be filed for "selective disipline" because it is NOT against company policy for a Road Drive to use a CB Radio.
Both are electronic communication devices.
So if one is unsafe to use, they all must be.
We all know what an uproar that will cause.
My two cents.

cell phone

Guys in Akron and KC have to make it look like they are earning their pay also keep the insurance people happy.Personally,I haven't had much luck with guys with wireless headsets coming through clear.A good corded headset is the best for me.Right On,about all the years we ran with steering wheel in 1 hand and juggling gear shifter and mike in the other.

the company better tell there own dispatchers because they are calling drivers on there runs to change there dispatch because they screwed up.

I heard guys are getting paid .25 for pulling over and calling in route as they were told to do!I personally heard this happen at the window at 231.A driver who was running empty was told to call from the N.Y./PA line.Has anyone else heard this?

I heard guys are getting paid .25 for pulling over and calling in route as they were told to do!I personally heard this happen at the window at 231.A driver who was running empty was told to call from the N.Y./PA line.Has anyone else heard this?

I drive for yellow out of INDY...the first call to dispatch is freebie...any after .25...

the whole cell phone issue is stupid and corporations are just trying to cover there own a**es and if something happens and you are on the cell phone and the other parties lawyer gets a hold of your detailed cellphone bill and finds out you were on the cell phone they will try to hang you for it even if it was not your fault and management can say look we have a policy that says no cell use while driving so they can wash there hands of you for the legal process it in my opinion is a crock of S***

We have this in Buffalo. Your supposed to pull into rest area, call on payphone, log 15 min on duty not driving. Most of the guys just call on the cell phone while bookin on down the road. .25 for every call "they" tell you to make in route. Problem started when we were coming home m/t from Mass and they had you call just before every terminal in the district on the way home across 90.

Pay Phone Vs. Cellphone.

We have this in Buffalo. Your supposed to pull into rest area, call on payphone, log 15 min on duty not driving. Most of the guys just call on the cell phone while bookin on down the road. .25 for every call "they" tell you to make in route. Problem started when we were coming home m/t from Mass and they had you call just before every terminal in the district on the way home across 90.

Lets see, Pulling into rest stop vs. calling on cellphone:

Burns more fuel stopping and starting, wears on brakes for no reason, wastes time (the whole reason for having a cellphone), puts driver in harms way from muggers and other no-good-nicks, stand a good chance of catching a cold-bug off the public phone and getting good and sick (thus losing pay), and said pay phone may not be operable when you stop, so there goes all that expensive diesel fuel right up the stack.

And there are lots more reasons I can think of besides all of that.

Who did the math on this stuff?

Oh yeah, it wasnt a real driver, thats for damn sure.

I was dispatched from one side of town to the other today. Put the Nextel down for the trip. When I was done at my next stop called in. SCM was in charge tonight and asked if I heard the phone ringing, he had a another stop for me to p/u. Told him the honest answer- Dam truck was so loud and road was wet and rush hour , couldn't hear nuttin boss.

could someone explain to me what the difference between holding a microphone to your mouth to talk on the c.b. and holding a cell phone is? i see no difference. to me they could be equally distracting. just makes you wonder when they will go after the c.b.

Yeh they figure it doesn't take much brain power to talk on the cb, but it does to press a cell phone to your head. I think also that the next step will be to ban the use of c.b.'s as well. This place (big R)is sooo full of SH*t it makes my head spin.and dont forget , they pay execs. big $$$ to come up with crap like this.

In the NYS supplimental agreement. Article 61, section 1, on page 185

In other jurisdictions, YMMV