R&L | Any Terminals cutting drivers hours?????

braceface

TB Regular
Credits
They are cutting hours for drivers at our terminal, even thought we are pretty busy. Is this happening any place else around the company??? Must be a Bonus thing for slashing labor cost.:hide:

It's that time of the year braceface.
It's kinda slow and for once we have more drivers than usual sticking around...

It's the annual push back your start time campaign.

we did a big hiring binge and now have more drivers than freight.but we're only letting the floaters off a day per week.that and noone is really taking vacation yet.

We got more freight then drivers, or trucks to deliver it with. No one wants to work for R&L around here....Bad reputation and haven't even been in town a year...To bad, very sad...

Cutting Hours????

No hours being cut here in BOS. But my slip and the other combo driver, is hit or miss these days, if no freight I go home early after working the dock for a few.
:1036316054:

Been pushing our start times back some days, but still getting between 50-54 hours a week again...

Freight will pick up...slow time of year

You all better watch your paychecks. Make sure that the hours you are working are the hours you are getting paid for. Especially since the TM's seem to want to make musical start times the norm constantly changing the start times then they bump the wrong button. Next thing you know your check comes and its missing a couple of hours. Keep an eye on them punces and the totals.

I've never understood the bump back. It's still going to take the driver the same amount of time to get all the deliveries off, and pick ups on. It doesn't matter what time they start. Then ofcourse you run the risk of missed pick ups because the driver is still delivering the freight. I know the TM's are getting pressure to cut hours, but you still have to service the customers.

I dont know if it was the Valentine Massacre Storm of 2007 or what... But my hours just went to 59 this week. I dont think that is cutting hours.

It was a hetic week getting acclimated after that horrendous storm out east. Looks like another storm coming in Sunday afternoon with the same snow/sleet+freezing rain and back to snow ingredients. Lets hope PENNDOT gets their act together this time...

why don't you all just vote a union in that way if your called to work at least you guarenteed 8 hours pay wake up and smell the coffee long as your non union company roberts keep getting richer and you all keep takeing it over the barrel

Too Many Hours Cut?

well the best thing to do is join a ??????? you know that dirty word that randl corporate can't stand to here. lol:biglaugh:

Down here in MIA we're getting our start times pushed back, we've had a few customers complain and it hasn't happened anymore. We thought it was the new TM, after reading this , I guess it's a company wide thing.

Down here in MIA we're getting our start times pushed back, we've had a few customers complain and it hasn't happened anymore. We thought it was the new TM, after reading this , I guess it's a company wide thing.

The problem that R&L does not see is that by cutting the hours of their drivers, our customers are getting their freight later. A lot of people use us because we get their freight to them early. At our barn, they are putting 20 stops on one driver, letting another driver come in at noon to make pick-ups. They think they are saving big because they cut-out say 4 hours of labor costs. What we used to do was put 10 stops on each driver, and make our pick-ups through the day, and our customers were happy. R&L is saving pennies, and losing dollars by most likely losing some customers over slower poorer service. I have personally had customers tell me if we can't get their freight to them early, then they will use another carrier. Its hard to get freight to a customer early when they are stop #17, 120 miles from your terminal, and you have been held up through no fault of your own on 4 or 5 previous stops. Oh well, all you can do, is all you can do!!!!:hide:

You got that right Braceface...

One stop at a time is all you can do...
Some days 15-16 stops fall off the truck,
other days 8-10 stops come off hard and slow. It's the nature of the beast.

I dont mind doing 16-18 deliveries a day, just cut me some slack on making 8-10 pickups the same day. 18-22 stops a day is enough for any driver that has to cover a large area. Some days I only put on 50 miles with 15 deliveries...other days I might get about 110 until im empty. Just depends on the way the freight is routed.

I've never understood the bump back. It's still going to take the driver the same amount of time to get all the deliveries off, and pick ups on. It doesn't matter what time they start. Then ofcourse you run the risk of missed pick ups because the driver is still delivering the freight. I know the TM's are getting pressure to cut hours, but you still have to service the customers.

I believe the idea is if you only have 7 or 8 stops, your pickups won't be ready yet, so they start you later.