Appreciate It

MikeJ

TB Veteran
Credits
Hi guys,

Today was the halfway mark, I am halfway through truck driving school as of today. Over all truck driving school is okay, I like my fellow class mates they are pretty cool and we get along well, actually I learn a lot from the other students. Like today I had more practice with off set backing and I have my own way of doing it which is pretty much what they taught us however on the CDL test they let you pull up twice and I usually incorporate a pull up into my routine so I can just straight line back once I get the back of the trailer where it's supposed to be. Over all I can say this now and really really mean it, truck driving school isn't the answer, it's pretty much where you go to get the bare minimum required to pass the CDL test that's all it is. Now granted, it's better then going into the CDL test cold that's for sure especially Ohio we have a pretty hard CDL test here in Ohio I don't know if all states are the same or not I think the government would like all states to be the same, but I think they are all a tad different and some are a tad harder then others, but school has it's ups and downs. I'm not saying it's bad, but it has it's pros and it has it's cons. The school I go to it's over all okay, but it's like anything else some stuff they do a good job of teaching and some stuff they don't it is what it is, and that's not really the point of this thread, anyhow I know that truck driving schools and the way they go about things can be a controversial topic at times and trust me the school I go to isn't without it's controversies it's far from perfect, but it could be worse too. They do tend to leave us alone and figure it out on our own and that's nice in a way so I give them props on that one and some of the other things they do however there is some stuff that they surely could improve upon, but that's not to be discussed here. I will say this a lot of the students who I see there and talk to they really are trying hard to do good or the best a new person can.

Any how here is the point of the thread, over the years, I have read this forum read it quite a bit, never commented didn't even have an account, I just came on here and read thread after thread post after post just to learn about all the other companies and what they are up to. It wasn't till early last year that I decided I was going to give this thing a shot, I figured I should probably learn about the industry and what the good is and what the bad is.
You know and me I am just a brand new student going through the motions trying to do the best one person can do. However all that being said even though most of my truck driving experience has been in the yard at truck driving school I can certainly appreciate a lot more now then ever before everything that goes into trucking and truck driving. Now even though it's just minor and not real experience I have been behind the wheel of a big truck I've backed one up like I said it may have only been between cones, but it certainly gave me enough of a taste to where I can appreciate all of what you guys go through now that I am in rehearsal and getting ready to go to the show my self.

Anyhow to all you guys out there thank you for what you do, from someone who really does appreciate it.

Mike