ABF | ArcBest 2nd Quarter 2023 Results

I forgot what the new contract said about the o.r bonus anyway we will get it next year or most likely not?
Not eligible for it this year as the OR bonus is based on the four quarters of a calendar year (Jan. 1—Dec. 31). Because our contracts start on July 1st, the first two quarters fall on the previous contract and the last two quarters fall on our new contract. So, we are not even eligible for the OR Bonus until the calendar year ending in 2024.
Formula was also changed. It is now harder to achieve. ABF moved the goal post so to speak. One of the few changes that benefited the company.
93.0 or lower = 1%
91.0 or lower = 2%
89.0 or lower = 3%
87.0 or lower = 4%

Last edited:
How are things my friend?
Hanging in there brother. How are things in your world? It slowed down a little at 086 but only for a week or two. The road board is being exhausted most days. There may be 2 or 3 call blocks a day that are not exhausted but 5 to 6 that are exhausted.

I'm seeing some PT trailers in Tampa (223) again. I don't know if they are loaded or not. The PT report comes out on/around the 15th of the month and we will see. The biggest worry, as far as the road board in ATL/086, is what management is going to do once all the trucks are turned up to 70mph? We expect some kind of change of operations proposal in 2024. I've had one 70mph truck and the stress of driving was easier. Not so many Super Truckers riding my bumper or cutting me off because they are angry I'm going below the posted speed limit. Have a great weekend brother SOR.

Hanging in there brother. How are things in your world? It slowed down a little at 086 but only for a week or two. The road board is being exhausted most days. There may be 2 or 3 call blocks a day that are not exhausted but 5 to 6 that are exhausted.

I'm seeing some PT trailers in Tampa (223) again. I don't know if they are loaded or not. The PT report comes out on/around the 15th of the month and we will see. The biggest worry, as far as the road board in ATL/086, is what management is going to do once all the trucks are turned up to 70mph? We expect some kind of change of operations proposal in 2024. I've had one 70mph truck and the stress of driving was easier. Not so many Super Truckers riding my bumper or cutting me off because they are angry I'm going below the posted speed limit. Have a great weekend brother SOR.
Great to hear from you brother. And you have a great weekend as well!!!

Not eligible for it this year as the OR bonus is based on the four quarters of a calendar year (Jan. 1—Dec. 31). Because our contracts start on July 1st, the first two quarters fall on the previous contract and the last two quarters fall on our new contract. So, we are not even eligible for the OR Bonus until the calendar year ending in 2024.
Formula was also changed. It is now harder to achieve. ABF moved the goal post so to speak. One of the few changes that benefited the company.
93.0 or lower = 1%
91.0 or lower = 2%
89.0 or lower = 3%
87.0 or lower = 4%
I think the OR was a little higher because they wanted to keep everyone happy & working until the contract was settled. If you remember every carrier was complaining about how slow it was & we were pretty busy....

I think the OR was a little higher because they wanted to keep everyone happy & working until the contract was settled. If you remember every carrier was complaining about how slow it was & we were pretty busy....
Yes, my TM told us they were using dynamic pricing to keep everyone working. Problem was not much profit on the freight that's why it started getting slow because they cut it way back. Was like 30% I think it's now down to 10%.

Yes, my TM told us they were using dynamic pricing to keep everyone working. Problem was not much profit on the freight that's why it started getting slow because they cut it way back. Was like 30% I think it's now down to 10%.
This company knows exactly what it’s doing, they have it figured out to the penny. I didn’t know this until recently but they have a revenue report of each run….

This company knows exactly what it’s doing, they have it figured out to the penny. I didn’t know this until recently but they have a revenue report of each run….
Yup they do. We are all lucky to be here. I need to try and keep it classy instead of trying to pick fight with the union haters stirring the pot. Have a great weekend everyone I have a house to clean and laundry and stuff

I am sure there will be a COO when road units are set on 70MPH. The company would not agree to anything that would simply give more truck stop time. I am also sure they had a plan in place before they agreed to the higher road speed. We have not survived in LTL for 100 years without planning ahead. Road will probably see an increase on their paycheck for running more miles but there will be a sacrifice made on something.

Yup they do. We are all lucky to be here. I need to try and keep it classy instead of trying to pick fight with the union haters stirring the pot. Have a great weekend everyone I have a house to clean and laundry and stuff
To be clear, there are union haters and there are those of us in the Union (51 years myself) who aren't afraid to call it out when we feel the Union is not doing the right thing. Just saying.

With the west getting double time language, they are trying to figure out how to avoid that. Heard the sold the patent the sleds but are keeping the program. They sold the Salt Lake City warehouse or selling it. Also head if any management has no real purpose they will start purging them. ABF is going back to freight that only makes a good profit. Basically how we were prior to Covid.