ABF | ArcBest's (ARCB) CEO Judy McReynolds on Q3 2015 Results - Earnings Call Transcript

Unfortunately there is no language on that for us. The only language that I can think of applies to road drivers and if they're not making the requisite number of miles a layoff is required.

The TM is only allowed to work you 25% of total man hours. Lets say 100 guys at 40 is 4000 hours. 25% of that is 1000 hours of overtime. That allows each guy 10 hours OT a week anything over that is excessive and would count toward putting another guy to work or being called back from layoff. If all 100 are working 55 a week that is 5500 hours. 550 hours of that would be consider excessive OT. This is Article 5, Section 6 of the NMFA here it is.

Section 6. Overtime

On a weekly basis, the Employer shall be permitted to work the active seniority board 25% of the straight time hours in overtime. In the event the Employer exceeds the 25% overtime allowance, the number of overtime hours in excess of the allowance will be applied in the next following week for determining the number of employees to recall from lay-off. For example, if the Employer has 120 employees on the seniority
board with 100 actively working and 20 laid-off, the Employer shall be permitted 4000 hours straight time hours plus 1000 hours overtime (25% of 4000) for a total of 5000 hours to be worked that week by the active seniority board. If during that week, the Employer actually worked the 100 active employees a total of 5600 hours, there would be 600 hours in excess of the 25% overtime allowance. The 600 hours would be divided by 50 (40 straight time hours plus 25% of 40 or 10) which equals 12 employees to be recalled from lay-off in the week following the violation of the 25% overtime allowance.

The TM is only allowed to work you 25% of total man hours. Lets say 100 guys at 40 is 4000 hours. 25% of that is 1000 hours of overtime. That allows each guy 10 hours OT a week anything over that is excessive and would count toward putting another guy to work or being called back from layoff. If all 100 are working 55 a week that is 5500 hours. 550 hours of that would be consider excessive OT. This is Article 5, Section 6 of the NMFA here it is.

Section 6. Overtime

On a weekly basis, the Employer shall be permitted to work the active seniority board 25% of the straight time hours in overtime. In the event the Employer exceeds the 25% overtime allowance, the number of overtime hours in excess of the allowance will be applied in the next following week for determining the number of employees to recall from lay-off. For example, if the Employer has 120 employees on the seniority
board with 100 actively working and 20 laid-off, the Employer shall be permitted 4000 hours straight time hours plus 1000 hours overtime (25% of 4000) for a total of 5000 hours to be worked that week by the active seniority board. If during that week, the Employer actually worked the 100 active employees a total of 5600 hours, there would be 600 hours in excess of the 25% overtime allowance. The 600 hours would be divided by 50 (40 straight time hours plus 25% of 40 or 10) which equals 12 employees to be recalled from lay-off in the week following the violation of the 25% overtime allowance.
Yes....

Section 6. Overtime

Aaaa yes, the excessive OT rule to be grieved by the individual who is forced to work excessive OT. Could pull that off but it would take a while to get it through the paces.

It works,.....I filed grievances on it about four years ago,.......it got pretty acrimonious because the Labor man was sure that I was too stupid to add, multiply, or subtract,....,but we ended up bringing a man off layoff for a little while,......but mainly they started to watch the overtime,.........and, of course, that made me a villian to a........few guys who had to finance their toys.......

It works,.....I filed grievances on it about four years ago,.......it got pretty acrimonious because the Labor man was sure that I was too stupid to add, multiply, or subtract,....,but we ended up bringing a man off layoff for a little while,......but mainly they started to watch the overtime,.........and, of course, that made me a villian to a........few guys who had to finance their toys.......
No good deed shall go unpunished. And those issues where a win for one worker=a loss for another are the slipperiest of slopes. We're all friends when the company is gipping us of something and we get it :guiness: but enemies are made when one man's win is a win only for him.

It works,.....I filed grievances on it about four years ago,....... got pretty acrimonious because the Labor man was sure that I was too stupid to add, multiply, or subtract,....,but we ended up bringing a man off layoff for a little while,......but mainly they started to watch the overtime,.........and, of course, that made me a villian to a........few guys who had to finance their toys.......
Any "man" who works o/t to pay for his toys while another is sitting home with only unemployment and no insurance is a selfish ass. But many union "brothers" would step on you to get a nickel.

Any "man" who works o/t to pay for his toys while another is sitting home with only unemployment and no insurance is a selfish ass. But many union "brothers" would step on you to get a nickel.
There are a couple of ways to look at that and yours is definitely one of them. When I was bottom guy I was never bitter towards the whiskered men for working if and when they wanted to. It is contractual and I chose to work under a contract. In the past I took days off for men who weren't working and the attitude I got from them was that somehow they were owed the gesture, no thank you no nothing...and NO MORE! Had another guy come to work and I worked a weekend while he worked three or four days and the Shop Steward gave me ::shit:: for it. However, there was road work available on the weekend but the bottom guy didn't want to run the road. He wanted time and a half on local work. I told him :fingure:. Low and behold right after that that poor underemployed man showed up in a shiny new Chevy crew cap 4x4. I drive a 20 year old beater. Sorry but I find it hard to sympathize with them after events like those.

There are a couple of ways to look at that and yours is definitely one of them. When I was bottom guy I was never bitter towards the whiskered men for working if and when they wanted to. It is contractual and I chose to work under a contract. In the past I took days off for men who weren't working and the attitude I got from them was that somehow they were owed the gesture, no thank you no nothing...and NO MORE! Had another guy come to work and I worked a weekend while he worked three or four days and the Shop Steward gave me :::shit::: for it. However, there was road work available on the weekend but the bottom guy didn't want to run the road. He wanted time and a half on local work. I told him :fingure:. Low and behold right after that that poor underemployed man showed up in a shiny new Chevy crew cap 4x4. I drive a 20 year old beater. Sorry but I find it hard to sympathize with them after events like those.
Every situation is different. I am talking about the guy who is working his 55 to 60 hours every week while a guy with kids who needs the insurance sits home. I have enough time to not worry about it, but it just seems to me that one of the problems with our union is a lack of caring for the other guy.