Back in the day...

MikeJ

TB Veteran
Credits
Back in the day, and it's been hinted at a lot on this forum, Sysco was a big deal if you were a driver there. I know both GT, and Lazlo have really said it as well as others too.

What was Sysco's luster back in the day? I don't know the history of them from the years of when you would have wanted to work there and when did it all go bad or south (I realize this maybe a loaded question ha-ha!), I know from what well almost everyone has said the company has gone down hill a lot from what it used to be as far as a company you would want to work for.

It's gone from Sysco having a waiting list of people who want to get in there to them having to spend huge sums of money on radio advertisements begging people to come in and apply for a job. Heck now they train people get there CDLs (of course at the competition were guilty of that too, and I think every company is in some compacity or another.)

Any how that's my question, what was Sysco's big luster?

The pay and bennies were what drew people in, the long hours and hard labor is probably a big reason for a lot of the turnover, also from my understanding some sysco houses changed pay, ABC to dip where drivers make less.

I find it odd each sysco house runs completely different in terms of pay and benefits. We still have a pension where I'm at and guys make 100 or around it, that's why I'm here. We are hourly and have dip but dip can never negatively effect my hourly rate including ot, only boost it. I read at some syscos their dip screws with that.

I'm one of the youngest guys at my sysco house at 30, in great shape and this job and I would not do this job for 50k, not even 60k if that was top pay. But the pay and benefits are excellent here (100 percent medical is paid) so as long as they don't take those away, I'm here

The pay and bennies were what drew people in, the long hours and hard labor is probably a big reason for a lot of the turnover, also from my understanding some sysco houses changed pay, ABC to dip where drivers make less.

I find it odd each sysco house runs completely different in terms of pay and benefits. We still have a pension where I'm at and guys make 100 or around it, that's why I'm here. We are hourly and have dip but dip can never negatively effect my hourly rate including ot, only boost it. I read at some syscos their dip screws with that.

I'm one of the youngest guys at my sysco house at 30, in great shape and this job and I would not do this job for 50k, not even 60k if that was top pay. But the pay and benefits are excellent here (100 percent medical is paid) so as long as they don't take those away, I'm here

I don't understand that whole dip pay system at all. I know every Sysco Warehouse runs totally differently there like there own company almost.

I don't understand why people don't like dip. It can only help you. You either get paid you hourly and ot or you get dip, whichever is greater. Idk what ABC pay is though

How does your dip work? Can you give an example?

If you work for non union like I do you do not get hourly plus overtime you get dip and that is it. Also no pension and medical when I started was a 250 dollar deductible now try 1500. The routes are jack to the roof pay has been cut bad pension is gone and oh yes they took our uniforms but wait we also lost our safety and atendence pay. For ABC pay you got paid 1 rate for cases and got paid for your mileage. Most of our guys lost 15k-18k thanks to dip. Our insurance runs about 390 a month for a family.

If you work for non union like I do you do not get hourly plus overtime you get dip and that is it. Also no pension and medical when I started was a 250 dollar deductible now try 1500. The routes are jack to the roof pay has been cut bad pension is gone and oh yes they took our uniforms but wait we also lost our safety and atendence pay. For ABC pay you got paid 1 rate for cases and got paid for your mileage. Most of our guys lost 15k-18k thanks to dip. Our insurance runs about 390 a month for a family.
At least that is a good insurance rate. Tw Who do you work for?

Hey sg, the dip here is so confusing I don't think any of the drivers can explain it lol.

2wheeldriver, you guys need to unionize!

Nailed it.
Insurance in KC used to run 30-ish/wk for family HMO coverage. $20 copay for Dr visit, $100 for ER and that was it. Switched us to a garbage high deductible plan. Pay what 2wheeldriver does BUT our deductible is higher than his is. $2500 for family, then 80/20 after that, and restrictions making us have to mail order certain medicines which I'm sure has NOTHING to do with the fact that Delaney sits in the ExpressScripts board of directors. Kills me that I pay $93/wk for insurance but still get a $150 bill anytime someone has to go to the Dr.
Non-Union houses lost our pensions a few years back. We also went without raises in KC for about 3yrs. Our switch to DIP wasn't as painful as others, so far they've kept the same calculations as our old ABC with only one pay rate BUT they've decided that certain routes with "big" stops on them will be paid hourly only since they're "easy". I personally know of a couple guys who've lost a significant amount of pay because of that.
No raises + insurance tripling in cost while covering less = less money at the end of the month than we had several years ago.
Loads here have gotten worse. They've really tightened up on the night warehouse guys' productivity. Result of that is you now have a warehouse full of guys fearing for their jobs and the security of their families = crap gets thrown anywhere and everywhere, just get it on a pallet, any pallet at all, and keep moving so they can hit their #'s.
Routes have gotten longer. Started here in about 2012. Blamed it on corporate, said they decided our average cs/route was too low and they needed to consolidate to get the average up.

Sales side of the business was affected too. "Commission restructuring", fancy schmancy way to say "pay cut" resulted in a LOT of our good sales folks leaving. We've lost a LOT of business in town to US. Later deliveries, product on the wrong pallets that the drivers can't find, more damage caused by the warehouse/transportation issues = reduced service levels which causes more customers to leave causing sales $$$ to drop which causes them to tighten up even more. Experienced sales people replaced by order takers who lack the ability or experience to smooth these problems over with the customers causes even more to get mad and leave.

2wheeldriver, you guys need to unionize!
We did in KC because of all the issues but it's a really, really , really slow process. 7 months after the vote still in the infancy of contract negotiations. Sysco has really deep pockets and isn't afraid to pay their lawyers to stall long enough for the supporters to all quit or get fired. Did exactly that with Sygma here in town (same lawyer that they're using with us), drag it out for a year then petition for a revote and hope all the newbies side with them. Thank goodness for us we did it at a time IBT is focused on organizing foodservice and is willing to put up the time/money to make it happen or we would've been toast by now.

When I got into foodservice almost 10 years ago I applied at sysco cuz at that time it was a good company. So glad I never went there. Now there starting pay as 14.50 a hr starting until you get hired full time cuz they start you as a casual. ONLY way I ever went to sysco now is if I move north to duluth and worked in there shuttle yard that's it. But they're teamsters here with a pension still. I can't believe for how big sysco is that there insurance sucks that bad

Sysco is a stepping stone job for most drivers, and that's exactly how management wants it to be. Drivers are just another replaceable part for them. Had a dispatcher tell me once that he had been told that Sysco wanted drivers to last 3 years on avg., that way your not likely to be broken down and file comp and your not vested in pension or 401. They just want you as a rental.

Sysco wanted drivers to last 3 years on avg., that way your not likely to be broken down and file comp and your not vested in pension or 401. They just want you as a rental.

I hope this outlook on their own drivers ends up biting them in the ass when the driver shortage gets worse. That's a horrible outlook on their own employees, especially guys that bust their ass for the company...

Hurting them here too, running ads with $5K bonus. Stillcan't get anyone in the door so they're hiring people, some who don't yet even have permits, and trying to train them.
The drivers here used to be their biggest recruiters.

Also alot of people don't want to unload the truck by hand. But I think ltl will have a problem finding drivers tho to. A couple fuel companies can't find drivers here in mn. But for sysco to say that about there own employees is pathetic. Another reason why I won't work there

I've had multiple multiple opportunities to work at Sysco Cleveland and still could go there if I wanted, but ended up at GFS and while unloading the freezer out of the side door all day long kind of stinks, our pay scale is pretty fair at GFS and they don't screw with it really and we've had some Sysco guys come over to GFS and they've said to them GFS is a nicer company, but they did say Sysco did pay you for everything you do. I do think the Sysco drivers make more money then us GFS people, but don't get me wrong we make a good buck at GFS to nobody at my yard is starving and if they are it's there own fault.

I don't know I think GFS wants us to stick around for a while, they don't seem like they want to push anyone out they seem to want us to come in and you know put in sometime as a saleserviceman and then if you want apply for other jobs within the company. They told me at my interview if you come in drive for a little while and then 5-6 years down the road want to do Chemical/Beverage or Chains or whatever it could possibly be arranged.