R&L | Bad accident in Tennessee Wednesday evening with R&L Gator..

Iceman

Company Man
Credits
Fiery I-75 Campbell County crash closes interstate, diverts traffic KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WVLT) -- One person was killed and three others were injured in a fiery crash between two tractor trailers on I-75 in Campbell County Wednesday afternoon.

The accident happened around 3:15 p.m, shutting down I-75 in both directions.

A chemical fire led TEMA to evacuate a half-mile radius around the crash site. Officials lifted the evacuation order around 6:30 p.m. THP says some lanes reopened around 7:30 p.m. and the crash site was cleared around 2 a.m.

The Tennessee Highway Patrol says a northbound tractor trailer crossed the median and crashed head-on into a southbound tractor trailer near Caryville.

One tractor trailer, owned by R and L Carriers, was hauling oxidizing materials. Superlex owned the other, which was carrying batteries. THP says there were no radioactive materials on board, despite early reports.

THP confirms three people were injured and one person died in the crash; they report a passenger vehicle was involved as well as the two tractor trailers.

Superlex Batteries has confirmed that their driver, 49-year-old Tim Holt, was killed in the accident. He was from Russell Springs, Kentucky. Superlex says he had been driving with the company for 15 years and they describe him as an "Ace" driver with an excellent driving record and lots of experience. The company is waiting for THP reports on the accident; they say THP has told them those could be released within 4-5 days.

Campbell County 911 dispatchers said two firefighters were injured in the response.

Witnesses to the event say they heard three loud explosions after the accident.

Lifestar flew injured patients to UT Medical Center. Their names and conditions have not yet been released.

Preliminary report has still not been released.

Last edited by a moderator:
We were told by Central that the driver is out of
Greenville, SC and he's ok. The other truck crossed
the median and hit him. Sad story, I pray for the families
of these drivers.

I drove by the scene today and there was no evidence the other truck applied the brakes as he sailed through the median.

Hey fellow drivers, i drive for upsf, and I pray that ur driver recovers fast and gets back on the big road. I do have a quick qustion. Every time i am running up n down the road, when i see a R&L rig, I say around %80 of the time it has some kind of haz-mat placards on the trailer, (more then any other LTL outfits out there. Do you guys have a huge account with some chemical company? Or does your sales team do like Vitran Express used to do, wave the haz-mat fee on the shipment? Just wondering..... god bless and godspeed.....

Hey fellow drivers, i drive for upsf, and I pray that ur driver recovers fast and gets back on the big road. I do have a quick qustion. Every time i am running up n down the road, when i see a R&L rig, I say around %80 of the time it has some kind of haz-mat placards on the trailer, (more then any other LTL outfits out there. Do you guys have a huge account with some chemical company? Or does your sales team do like Vitran Express used to do, wave the haz-mat fee on the shipment? Just wondering..... god bless and godspeed.....
We do haul a lot of haz-mat. They may waive it on bigger accounts just like they
waive liftgate or residential fees on some accounts. It's very rare for me not to fly
placards at some point on my route. Some of our liftgates will have 2 or 3
extra placard holders put on them if the route picks up a lot of bulk hazmat.