ABF | Bad U-Pack decisions!

abfgreasemonkey

TB Lurker
Credits
Why in the heck are they sending out the oldest,ugliest,most rusted out trailers to customers to be used for U-Packs?

Do they think this sends a good message to our customers? I had to repair a trailer last week that was sent to a customer to be loaded as a U-Pack and they fell though the floor while loading it. I have seen other U-Pack loads come though the 086 shop that were loaded in trailers with more holes and patches than you could count.

There are enough newer Trailmobile and Great Dane trailers in service that the old Pines and Fruehauf trailers should NEVER be sent to a U-Pack customer

That's right!!

ABFgreasemonkey said:
Why in the heck are they sending out the oldest,ugliest,most rusted out trailers to customers to be used for U-Packs?

Do they think this sends a good message to our customers? I had to repair a trailer last week that was sent to a customer to be loaded as a U-Pack and they fell though the floor while loading it. I have seen other U-Pack loads come though the 086 shop that were loaded in trailers with more holes and patches than you could count.

There are enough newer Trailmobile and Great Dane trailers in service that the old Pines and Fruehauf trailers should NEVER be sent to a U-Pack customer
Hey ABFgrease.......I'm a RDWY guy, but I see what you are saying. You guys have some good looking roll up door trailers, the general public needs to get those, and not the old swinging door stuff. More PR and happier coustomers..........that's how it works. DS.

At 051, we always try to take a newer roll up door to a customer for a Upack. Although, as anyone in the freight business knows, come Friday afternoon there is very little equipment to be had anywhere.
As for the other question about the ragtops I personally haven't ever seen one used for a Upack although I am not saying it hasn't been done either!!
At least we still aren't using that Carolina Freight junk anymore. Thank God it's all gone!!:woot2:

Never seen a ragtop used.......

Skywalker said:
Hey what is the deal with you guys having those ragtop trailers?Do yall load those upacks on them?

....for a U-Pack but some of them would be a better choice than some of those damn fruehauf trailers!

I swear if half our drivers were to see and know what they are pulling when it comes to the Fruehauf brand pups they would refuse to haul the freight for safety reason. the king pins and upper couplers are 90% worn out on nearly all of them.

As far as the old Pines trailers go, they have a BAD problem with the spring hangers and crossmember over the tandem section being rusted out. when the spring hangers are rusted out they have us "plate" over them, this does nothing but hide the rusted out section from the DOT man it does nothing to strengthen the hanger

We have three trailers tied up with four to six feet of trailer used. I wonder why the U-Pack dept does not try to sell the relo cubes to these smaller moves. So we can unload the cube and use the trailer for the bigger moves. We have only gotten in one swing door this hole summer with a loaded u-pack. Afew bad bulkheads but overall the customers have been very possitive about moves with ABF.