SAIA | Bad weather

dancing chicken

TB Lurker
Credits
I was reading the other day that Conway lost a driver to a roll over by OKC!! Fed Ex had a bad couple days also in the bad weather!! I seen 2 rear boxes laying on the side of the road with dollies still hooked up!! On the news numerous jack knifed trucks sliding on the ice!! My problem is saying the conditions are to bad for me to go out!! Then the next guy take the run and not have a single problem!! Our jobs require us to drive in all kinds of conditions but when do you say NO ITS UNSAFE!!

i stayed in indy from tues pm till thurs am and it was still bad all the way to lex on the way to clt..... didnt make it back, had to stop in gvl due to hours of service!

It's really just a personal decision. If you think you can make it safely by slowing down or taking other precautions, then I say do it. If you feel uncomfortable let them give you a point if they want. My train of thought is this....is it worth my life, someone else's life, my job, my tractor being totalled, or the freight not making it there at all for my to take my run. If you called stating you feel it is unsafe, and they think it is safe, all they can do is give you one point since you did call in stating you were not going to make it. Also, if they try to give you that crap of "so and so made it and said the roads were fine", tell them to get said so and so to make the run. I would have to deal with that when I was a city driver and told dispatch I could make a delivery. It looks like those of us in the southeast might be having to make that call when we leave out Monday and Tuesday nights.

At Fx we have to make a attempt... Definition of attempt is You have to at least try....... Pull out the gate drive around the block , declare it unsafe and come back and park it... They may not like it but they can't give ya points if we do it that way..:smilie_132:

At Fx we have to make a attempt... Definition of attempt is You have to at least try....... Pull out the gate drive around the block , declare it unsafe and come back and park it... They may not like it but they can't give ya points if we do it that way..:smilie_132:

I wonder if by doing it that way it makes the numbers look better?? It shows leaving the yard at least!! I am sure its all a numbers game!! The problem is if I leave the yard and they let me go I’m not turning around!!:TR10driving03:

i was in the clt shop the other night and a driver was getting a set of chains, my theory is if it is bad enough for chains then it's motel time

What you have to remember is this. It's your a$$ behind the wheel. You make the decision as far as your safety is concerned. If you have to slow down then so be it. Same thing for pulling off the road.

It's easier to explain to a customer why their freight is late, as opposed to why it's in the ditch.

Just my 2 cents

I wonder if by doing it that way it makes the numbers look better?? It shows leaving the yard at least!! I am sure its all a numbers game!! The problem is if I leave the yard and they let me go I’m not turning around!!:TR10driving03:

Not untill that 4-wheeler cuts you off and you have to hit brakes on ice, oh crap!:ohmy::holysheep: