SAIA | Bah Humsaia

maverick50

TB Lurker
Credits
A driver in Alb had a infection in his elbow and could've been very dangerous for him if he accidently bumped his elbow even though it looked like it would be ok. The doctor told him to stay at home and rest but, the ass't TM told him he had to work or he would lose his holiday pay. This seems to be the way of Saia. No Merry Christmas, No Happy New Year and No Happy Holidays. Just get that freight moved or else. I have never worked for a company that cares less about their employees during the holidays.

Have I told you lately your killing me?Nevermind...One thing's forsure,Santa is NOT driving a Saia truck.

imagesmm_zpsa65ccb7f.jpg

Look what I got for Christmas!

ARRalphie_Steve_zps3632792c.jpg

Is this not one of the greatest rear ends ever?Wish I had a swing like that in my backyard.

7093_zpsf63f34c7.jpg

Merry Christmas all.

I hope that the guy is okay but the timing of his illness is what screwed his holiday pay, not Saia. It's always been the written rule, that to receive holiday pay, you have to work the day before and the day after. It's been in the employee handbook for years. Look at page 31.

You may think that the situation stinks, but Saia, through the Ass't TM, is just following the rules that all employees follow. That's what keeps the freight and our paychecks moving. I would imagine all businesses big enough to need a H R Department has that same rule.

So...what is the cutoff for hours worked? What if I usually work say an 8 hour shift...I show up on time, clock in, get my paperwork, hook and pretip. Then I don't feel well so I want to go home. Let's assume I did this on December 23. Would I get my holiday pay?

I don't work in HR, so this is only my opinion. It's my understanding that if you don't finish your schedule, you don't qualify. But, in that scenario, you reported for work so you might have something to argue with if you are disqualified. However, if you do not report, call in sick even with a doctors recommendation for rest, you've got nothin.

The different scenarios of this situation have black, white, and gray areas associated with it. With some effort maybe they will, with no effort probably not. Only HR can settle the question, if you can get them on the phone. Good luck with that.

Yeah it's hard to know sometimes. Seems like they have a lot of rules and policies and procedures, but seem to be open to interpretation by...who knows.

Wish they would share some of that profit with the grunts. Oh yeah, I forgot...we are just a number and there are 500 applicants waiting for my spot. That's why they have to dangle signing bonuses, but ironically can't get anyone to apply. Hmmm...