Yellow | Bid from car hauler to revive defunct Yellow has shippers skeptical

Dock rats were given swag for reweighs they did.
And reweigh they did every single shipment they touched.
If you docked a shipment there were people who would dig the bill out of the dock box and do their thing.
We had dock foreman who would give these rats trailer loads of single shipments going to commissaries at every base in the country.

When I worked at Con-Way Freight we had a customer (not government) that regularly had the freight listed at 50 to 100 pounds too heavy....we were told not to reweigh shipments from this shipper.....

Shippers don't care , all they care about is cheap freight rates ! Like one shipper told me we don't care if you damage it or smash it , that just means you bought it and we sell more products !! Its all about the Cheap freight rates , that's why these no English- Sandal wearing companies are hauling so much freight for cheap !

Shippers don't care , all they care about is cheap freight rates ! Like one shipper told me we don't care if you damage it or smash it , that just means you bought it and we sell more products !! Its all about the Cheap freight rates , that's why these no English- Sandal wearing companies are hauling so much freight for cheap !
How about we get O’Brien to post that tombstone, and run them all out of business.

That shipper was rather shortsighted. Number one his customer didn't get their order on time. Number two, freight claims are rarely paid at full claimed amount; released value, limits of liability, commodities not covered, salvage value, repairability, etc.

When I worked at Con-Way Freight we had a customer (not government) that regularly had the freight listed at 50 to 100 pounds too heavy....we were told not to reweigh shipments from this shipper.....
I had a customer I picked up floor scales from of all things everyday. One day I backed in and he said he couldn’t use us no more. I asked what the problem was expecting him to say he didn’t get paid on a claim or something, he said they caught me cheating on the weights I owe them thousands. LOL

He was actually pissed at Yellow for catching him.

As I understand it the suit was based on the fact that YRC would W&I a shipment and not make an adjustment based on findings unless it was in YRC's favor. It shows a problem with the W&I process within YRC to begin with. They shouldn't have initiated an official W&I until they've identified the discrepancy.
What discrepancy? The only bills that needed corrected were the ones showing less weight then what was actually in the shipment.
If you claimed it weight more that's ok with us:1036316054:

What discrepancy? The only bills that needed corrected were the ones showing less weight then what was actually in the shipment.
Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not...

However, if the applicable tariff stated that the "carrier may adjust weights and/ or class and subsequent charges if an error is discovered during the weights and inspection process." Then that's exactly what they can do. "May" is permissive, it is not instructive. If the wording said "shall","will" or "must", that's another story and the government would have a slam dunk of a case.

Quality carriers have deminsionilizers now days. They earn millions in pure profit off of these machines that pay for themselves in months.
I my opinion these eventually will open carriers up for dimension pricing and gradually move away from the NMFC.

Several years back an ABF customer of middle eastern decent was shipping rugs/carpet as household goods on UPack trailers. I don't know how long he got away with it but a driver was stopped at a roadside scale. The trailer was almost double the weight. When the door was opened rugs/carpet was stacked roof high end to end.

Quality carriers have deminsionilizers now days. They earn millions in pure profit off of these machines that pay for themselves in months.
I my opinion these eventually will open carriers up for dimension pricing and gradually move away from the NMFC.
That was a buzz word around YRC for awhile a couple of years ago then we never heard any more about them..........................probably cost too much and they couldn't figure out how to make them pay for themselves without losing the discount customer crowd.......................

I don't see them moving away from the NMFC. What I do see is an increase in items that have their classes based on density. Those 3d scanner things just keep the math quick, simple and more accurate.

They can't abandon the NMFC, that "living document" continues to evolve, every time a carrier gets nailed on a freight claim for an item that has become significantly more fragile, difficult to repair, and/or expensive over time than they expected. They members meet and say, hey I just had to pay a claim for $XX,XXX on a shipment of Bull Semen, who knew that was so expensive? Or some dumb-::shit:: at Roadway 821 decides they want another Academy Award for their mantel (those things aren't cheap either)!

That was a buzz word around YRC for awhile a couple of years ago then we never heard any more about them..........................probably cost too much and they couldn't figure out how to make them pay for themselves without losing the discount customer crowd.......................
they were in the breaks and mini breaks.. there was one at 153 and that with the touch screens on motors for reweighs made millions .. that was easy money. if I had to spitball a $ number 250-300k on dims a quarter and another 50-75k on reweighs per.. all done with out much effort..

they were in the breaks and mini breaks.. there was one at 153 and that with the touch screens on motors for reweighs made millions .. that was easy money. if I had to spitball a $ number 250-300k on dims a quarter and another 50-75k on reweighs per.. all done with out much effort..
Exactly they pay for themselves in just months. Then it's all profit after that.
LTL is the only mode of Transportation to use the NMFC, every other mode uses dimensions.
Once these are more commonplace my guess is LTL carriers will become more receptive to dimensional pricing.
It actually is better, shippers pay exactly for the space they take up.
I've heard that some LTL's are putting 75% of all shipments through these units...

And to be honest I wouldn't have cared either way, it wouldn't have affected me as a city driver, but it sure would have screwed over the linehaul guys, and once you get started screwing over a complete seniority board, where does it end? That road is a slippery slope.
I was road driver for 19 years. Loosing 4 weeks vacation screwed me more than the possibility of having to work a dock a few hours a night

A major issue at Yellow was the network was way too large for the daily amount of shipments handled.
If this ever was to happen, where would that business come from?
Jack Cooper would need to have customer commitments months ahead of any upstart of the network.
Running empties is death for LTL carrier, it is a necessary evil but it need to be minimal.
The industry has too much capacity right now.
A 'better NMFA' will never happen without a commitment from customers for 30,000 daily shipments or more...

I dont think recouping the freight from other carriers will be a problem, especially on the big accounts like HD, Best Buy, US Govt, etc. the little mom & pop stuff will also eventually come back for the rates but it may take longer to earn their trust. It will only take a few major 3PL's to turn it all back on once its up & running.

I dont think recouping the freight from other carriers will be a problem, especially on the big accounts like HD, Best Buy, US Govt, etc. the little mom & pop stuff will also eventually come back for the rates but it may take longer to earn their trust. It will only take a few major 3PL's to turn it all back on once its up & running.
Cut rate freight brings cut rate wages..............................................................