Blizzard? 2016

• Thread starter Deleted member 5115
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 5115

It appears imminent that a heavy snow is going to hit the northeast this weekend. Right now it looks like DC and northern VA will get hammered on up through Philly and New England. We're predicted to get 12" or so here and the governor of PA has already declared a state of emergency :idunno: and it hasn't even dropped one flake yet. With snow starting Friday night and continuing 'til Sunday morning heavy at times 12" actually seems like an underestimation. We shall see.

in the lower part of my state, along the coastline, it is said to be all of about 6 to 8 inches.

here north of that, and into the Boston area, under 4 inches, maybe less, if the storm tracks more southernly, which it has shifted that way since yesterday. i can update later, maybe even Friday.

That website and it's slideshow bog down my system. That car pictured doesn't look like the one to me, none of the snow is windblown or disturbed by shaking on the road.

Yeah, they showed that on our news this AM. They said that the snow was so heavy and cohesive that his driving didn't disturb it. Now there's a story that cop will have for the rest of his life.
well too, he is an 80 year old man. too bad someone from his hood could not or did not help, or maybe he never even tried to ask.

the snow being heavy, i am sure he must have been out of breath from removing just that tiny bit.

but to try and drive with such an obstruction, frankly he got the ticket and deserved it.

what i find obstructing on my car, is the A-pillar, due to the side air bags. i have to lean practically all the way into my windshield to see around it.

i see no rhyme nor reason for such an obstruction, causing a (to me) pretty darned big blind spot, when seated comfortably.

What i find obstructing on my car, is the A-pillar, due to the side air bags. i have to lean practically all the way into my windshield to see around it.

i see no rhyme nor reason for such an obstruction, causing a (to me) pretty darned big blind spot, when seated comfortably.
Have you had the honor of driving a Volvo with that big mirror enclosure in the way on the passenger side? It sits right there and blocks a lot of traffic from the right side.

Have you had the honor of driving a Volvo with that big mirror enclosure in the way on the passenger side? It sits right there and blocks a lot of traffic from the right side.
i drove earlier models of the sleeper, (i believe they were emphasizing that they had the first integral sleeper, back then) and that was back in the early 1990's, so i cannot really recall that.

i cannot say i have had any other volvo driving experiences.

but what are the designers thinking.....???

i mean, don't any of these manufacturers actually have test driver reporting such issues..???

i mean, don't any of these manufacturers actually have test driver reporting such issues..???
Apparently there are issues that get overlooked. When ABF first got Volvos they must have been hard to get in and out of because a grievance was filed and won and the company had to install an additional handle by the door for the drivers to hold onto when getting in and out.

As of 0700 I am reporting 15" of snow with about 12 more hours of snow predicted. I'll have to get the tractor out and plow at least once before it ends or it'll be tough for me to get through.

As of 0700 I am reporting 15" of snow with about 12 more hours of snow predicted. I'll have to get the tractor out and plow at least once before it ends or it'll be tough for me to get through.
here in N.E. we haven't seen any snow flakes yet.

only the flakes that run out and buy bread and milk.

in fact, just about 10 minutes ago, i took bro-in-law and sis outside with me, and we pre-treated the blacktop and front sidewalk.

i had days ago, when we had some snow, laid down a mix of sand and salt on those areas.

i was waiting for the pizza guy (papa Johns) and saw that those areas, the snow is not sticking. reminding me, that i had laid down that mix days ago. so i'd rather use up one $8.00 bag of salt, and maybe cut down the snow totals, then to have us shovel (or machine) remove the snow. and as you know, my back the way it is, i cannot handle too much weights, from shoveling, or man-handling the machinery.

i do have an area of concrete, but that area is small, and i do not at any time, spread salt on that, not even "safe salt".....

We in Central North Carolina, received some snow Friday and a wee bit more today, along with small percentages of ice to equal, together, about 6 inches.
I-40 is generally good in the lowlands, most likely not very good in the Mountains. I-77 as well I-85 were questionable in areas, especially near Charlotte. I-95 (future toll road?), I dunno as I no live near it.
Now it's the fun part where liquids become solids, and again.

Concrete steps and walkways at our Condo complex are of sufficient density that many years of salting have barely scratched their surfaces.

CHEERS!!

1615 and repoting1/4 of an inch, sure glad I bought milk and eggs.
-0a1d08b41d52611e.jpg

We're in the vicinity of 2 feet here, at least it is cold and the snow is light. I will have to get the snow rake out and pull what I can off the roof in case it rains before the stuff comes off the roof and adds weight to it.

"Safe salt" is a misnomer. For those who don't know how it works, the salt melts the ice which in turn creeps down into the cracks and pores of the concrete. Then when it refreezes it pops the concrete apart. As CK mentioned, really good concrete won't let the stuff in to begin with but usually in time it happens.

We're in the vicinity of 2 feet here, at least it is cold and the snow is light. I will have to get the snow rake out and pull what I can off the roof in case it rains before the stuff comes off the roof and adds weight to it.

well we went outside at or about 5:30 and started shoveling/snow throwing, some of the nearly 8" of snow that the apparently 1 to 3" never materialzed to be.

damned weather people. they NEVER time the storm correctly

they NEVER give the exact totals

they NEVER accurately predict the weather

but they STILL GET 100% of thier weekly salary.

i couldn't do much but "supervise" operations here, and nearly standing still in the wind swept snow was no fun.

damned weather people. they NEVER time the storm correctly

they NEVER give the exact totals

they NEVER accurately predict the weather
The moral of the story is...the weather is unpredictable. When I fly from home to camp in Upstate NY I fly through three different weather systems and I know where they all lay. The conditions encountered are almost never what was forecast and pilots are frequently queried about their current flight conditions so that ATC knows what is going on out there.

today, the temps will be near 40 today

tomorrow, up to 50.

i think we will not have much snow left by week's end.