XPO | Brad Jacobs on Mad Money Again

vetran peddleman

FOR ENTERTAINMENT USE ONLY
Credits
Just saw you know who on Mad Money about half an hour ago. Does Jim Crammer pay BJ to appear on his show? Tried to get the video clip on youtube w/ no luck,(maybe youtube hasn't posted it yet). Brad talked about some interesting things going on about the company...w/ Google, Amazon, hiring over 100 LTL sales people, etc. Any thoughts?

Just saw you know who on Mad Money about half an hour ago. Does Jim Crammer pay BJ to appear on his show? Tried to get the video clip on youtube w/ no luck,(maybe youtube hasn't posted it yet). Brad talked about some interesting things going on about the company...w/ Google, Amazon, hiring over 100 LTL sales people, etc. Any thoughts?
My thoughts:
1. Why did Brad layoff over 100 Account Executives on day one of the Con-way acquisition?
2. Why did he lay off the top performing Sales people? (Answer: because they were long tenured high salary employees, not the poor performers)
3. XPO has shrunk to 51,000 shipments/day, clearly losing LTL market share to Old Dominion, Saia, R+L (That hired many of the top performers laid off on day one). Con-way at its peak was doing over 65,000 shipments/day.
4. As far as Brad loving the TV camera, he is like a “moth” when the camera lights go on!!!
5. Why now is he hiring 100 LTL reps?
6. Brad also has a “ posse” that follows him around recording and documenting every word that he says.

Could be an omen of bad things to come. I remember when Cramer had a show with Larry Kudlow and they used to have "Dollar Bill" Zollars on all the time yuckin it up with him about how wonderful things were going for YRC. We all know how that turned out.

My thoughts:
1. Why did Brad layoff over 100 Account Executives on day one of the Con-way acquisition?
2. Why did he lay off the top performing Sales people? (Answer: because they were long tenured high salary employees, not the poor performers)
3. XPO has shrunk to 51,000 shipments/day, clearly losing LTL market share to Old Dominion, Saia, R+L (That hired many of the top performers laid off on day one). Con-way at its peak was doing over 65,000 shipments/day.
4. As far as Brad loving the TV camera, he is like a “moth” when the camera lights go on!!!
5. Why now is he hiring 100 LTL reps?
6. Brad also has a “ posse” that follows him around recording and documenting every word that he says.
Did you get the number of shipments from a quarterly or yearly report or was this in a news article or report of some kind? ( if it was a report of some kind I'd like to read it is why I'm asking )

As far as less shipments , I've heard it said ( bragged about? ) that XPO is making more money off of less freight. That can only go so far though.

Did you get the number of shipments from a quarterly or yearly report or was this in a news article or report of some kind? ( if it was a report of some kind I'd like to read it is why I'm asking )

As far as less shipments , I've heard it said ( bragged about? ) that XPO is making more money off of less freight. That can only go so far though.
Shipment count is right from the Q1 XPO earnings release. I agree sometimes “less is more” with regard to the number of shipments, but look at the same earning release (Q1) for Old Dominion....they are improving yield and significantly growing revenue, shipments and tonnage. You cannot shrink your way to prosperity. XPO also has 400+ terminals, less shipments means all that fixed cost gets spread to a lower number of shipments and ultimately will lead to poor profits. Conway reporting differs from XPO accounting and reporting. XPO definitely reporting better than their performance indicates.

Shipment count is right from the Q1 XPO earnings release. I agree sometimes “less is more” with regard to the number of shipments, but look at the same earning release (Q1) for Old Dominion....they are improving yield and significantly growing revenue, shipments and tonnage. You cannot shrink your way to prosperity. XPO also has 400+ terminals, less shipments means all that fixed cost gets spread to a lower number of shipments and ultimately will lead to poor profits. Conway reporting differs from XPO accounting and reporting. XPO definitely reporting better than their performance indicates.

These XPO people can cook some books. Con-way was really bad at lying. They tried. They just sucked at it.

Incredibly strong point about not shrinking your way to prosperity. And even stronger when you consider the robust economy and that even struggling companies like YRC are growing both volume and revenue right now.

You guys have to stop thinking like we’re a stand alone company. Ltl is a small part of the larger company. Most of those lost shipments were by design. We make more profit for him pulling last mile freight over ltl.

The Ae’s firings were a mistake caused by a computer glitch in the consulting firms software. They acted on it without checking it. A mistake for sure.

Its all about the spin.... Unsubstanable.

These XPO people can cook some books. Con-way was really bad at lying. They tried. They just sucked at it.

Incredibly strong point about not shrinking your way to prosperity. And even stronger when you consider the robust economy and that even struggling companies like YRC are growing both volume and revenue right now.
It's what got his ass in a sling before with the law. When running United rentals. Some things don't change . Someone is going to have to pay for all of this in the end and guess who that will be.

Could be an omen of bad things to come. I remember when Cramer had a show with Larry Kudlow and they used to have "Dollar Bill" Zollars on all the time yuckin it up with him about how wonderful things were going for YRC. We all know how that turned out.
I remember that well. History repeats itself and in the end who payed for Zollars mistakes ? ... The drivers

No the other way around. The salesman is looking to bump his share price. Its nothing but an infomercial for Jacobs. If he spent 1/10th the effort giving a crap about his employees he might of had something more genuine.
The best salesforce we have is at the local level with dispatchers, city drivers, dock workers, and linehal drivers moving freight. We make a great sales pitch when we show up on time for pick and delivery as promised and deliver a complete shipment damage free. Account execs hand out a lot of apologies and empty promises. Their phones literally never stop ringing.
We have to take care of this salesforce because they get things done and the ones that feel bitter and slighted can ruin customer relationships.

It's what got his ass in a sling before with the law. When running United rentals. Some things don't change . Someone is going to have to pay for all of this in the end and guess who that will be.

I remember that well. History repeats itself and in the end who payed for Zollars mistakes ? ... The drivers

On these points we agree. And I don't think there are many that don't.