FedEx Freight | Bumper Riding

When I worked for a contractor they had Cameras.... I know this because I was called on the carpet for my language when a drunk cut me off in Columbus. The owner of the truck thanked me for not taking the truck out.

He said he knew that brake were applied along with the horn..... So they do know all functions of the truck whether you want to believe it or not.
Perhaps the top tier Ground contractors have them. Certainly makes sense, BUT I know a Ground guy that does swaps all day and drives an OLD FedEx Freight Volvo with zero bells whistles, or cameras... just saying.

Last edited:
When I worked for a contractor they had Cameras.... I know this because I was called on the carpet for my language when a drunk cut me off in Columbus. The owner of the truck thanked me for not taking the truck out.

He said he knew that brake were applied along with the horn..... So they do know all functions of the truck whether you want to believe it or not.
Last year at Yellow I brought loads to an EOL and I was supposed to grab a couple of empties and continue on. I called dispatch to tell them there were no empties there. Dispatch said another road driver was on the way there with empties and was at so-and-so location already. I wondered how dispatch knew where the other driver was and just assumed the other driver had just called dispatch and told him. After waiting a while I again called dispatch and said the other driver still hadn't arrived. Dispatch said the other driver was just turning onto the road the terminal was on and would be there in a couple of minutes. Puzzled, I wondered how dispatch could know that, was the other driver calling dispatch and giving constant location updates? Turns out with the tractor GPS capability dispatch could pinpoint a tractors precise location at any time. I half-jokingly told dispatch that learning that just killed my ability to have and enjoy my occasional off-route excursions. :smile new::duh:

Perhaps the top tier Ground contractors have them. Certainly makes sense, BUT I know a Ground guy that does swaps all day and drives an OLD FedEx Freight Volvo with zero bells whistles, or cameras... just saying.
All the ground trucks that pass me at night have that green light like Lytx Drivecam how sensitive the camera setting are don't know. There are some O/O trucks with their own authority also pulling ground trailers on I-10. Most of them are running 75 Plus sometimes riding someone's A$$.

Last year at Yellow I brought loads to an EOL and I was supposed to grab a couple of empties and continue on. I called dispatch to tell them there were no empties there. Dispatch said another road driver was on the way there with empties and was at so-and-so location already. I wondered how dispatch knew where the other driver was and just assumed the other driver had just called dispatch and told him. After waiting a while I again called dispatch and said the other driver still hadn't arrived. Dispatch said the other driver was just turning onto the road the terminal was on and would be there in a couple of minutes. Puzzled, I wondered how dispatch could know that, was the other driver calling dispatch and giving constant location updates? Turns out with the tractor GPS capability dispatch could pinpoint a tractors precise location at any time. I half-jokingly told dispatch that learning that just killed my ability to have and enjoy my occasional off-route excursions. :smile new::duh:
They could gps your elog to know exactly where you are and how fast you were moving if you were moving.... they knew more than what you think.

You know... When I called in for a traffic back up or accident where the road was shut down... They knew ... I had dispatch tell me oh there is 4 of you close together sitting still... Then they would look at the camera and say ok let me know when you get moving.

I heard that our Peoplenet ELDs were about to be replaced with the Motive Companies setup. Probably the first step towards driver facing cameras and in cab audio monitoring.
I heard the same thing and decided to look into it a bit. Seems like this Motive company is pushing an all in one package.

Fuel card, eld, driver facing cameras.. unfortunately I think you are right

I also heard the new gadget will be our handheld and eld together, starting around September

I heard the same thing and decided to look into it a bit. Seems like this Motive company is pushing an all in one package.

Fuel card, eld, driver facing cameras.. unfortunately I think you are right

I also heard the new gadget will be our handheld and eld together, starting around September
FedEx management should have learned a lesson from the Safety Scorecard fiasco. That’s when the union push happened and some upper management honchos were terminated. Drivers will mutiny again if driver facing cameras are put in the trucks.

Last edited:
.. I know this because I was called on the carpet for my language when a drunk cut me off in Columbus.
What language were you speaking? Were they mad because they couldn't understand you?

ABF has forward facing cameras and I was shown by a supervisor current footage of someone going down the road. It also monitors if the seatbelt is buckled and speed.

What language were you speaking? Were they mad because they couldn't understand you?

ABF has forward facing cameras and I was shown by a supervisor current footage of someone going down the road. It also monitors if the seatbelt is buckled and speed.
No... His wife didn't like all the cussing I was doing.

Other guy was probably on lunch, so he didn’t get done too early.

ABF has cameras in the flat mirrors watching drivers.

Speaking of employee handbooks.

One recruiter who finally hired me, handed me the keys to the truck, fuel card, employee handbook and the green gospel DOT with the seperate neon puke orange hazmat.

His attitude was that of Moses descending from the mount with tablets.

What he did not know was I already had the DOT, HM etc and dont need the handbook. (That got flipped over hand towards the big round trashbin in the corner of that room. The keys and fuel cards I took. Plus the little wallet cards for parking, certs, medical etc.

He changes colors towards purple. I asked him if he was ok? You gonna faint sir? He went from purple to red and started shaking. Holding the corner of the table.

It must be really hard work and need a vacation more than I do.