R&L | Busier Than Ever In Htf

shadowr434

TB Veteran
Super Moderator
PREMIUM
Credits
We are seeing record inbound and outbound at the HTF terminal. Seeing at least a 30 percent rise in inbound bill counts every day and outbound has rising too. Any of you guys seeing the crazy numbers we are?

Though no longer employed at R&L, I stay in touch with a few guys and they say they've been told that NOR is up about 10% YTD over same period last year despite Wuhan Flu Panic.

We are seeing record inbound and outbound at the HTF terminal. Seeing at least a 30 percent rise in inbound bill counts every day and outbound has rising too. Any of you guys seeing the crazy numbers we are?
Dallas is so far out of control. No apparent plans to hire p&d drivers. Crew is thin and only allowing 4 guys off at a time. I'm really not sure how many drivers we actually have because everything has to be a secret although I haven't asked. I'm not sure how many doors or routes Hartford has but I'm sure it pales in comparison to Dallas. No offense. You guys are a satellite. Not a dig but you're nowhere close to the freight these major hubs do. I've spoken to driver's that transfer in and they ask WHAT'S A SWAP? By the way. How many doors, drivers and routes does Hartford have anyway?

I took a look at the overhead view of Hartford. Almost as small as Wichita. Any increase in business is a plus for you guys. Right now any terminal in a major metropolitan area is probably overwhelmed with business. Satellite terminals are more about delivering freight than picking it up. Hubs bring a different flavor. A few years back i know Atlanta had 135 to 150 SWAPS every day. They had a crew of drivers doing nothing but swaps all day long on top of their regular stuff. 2 terminal managers. That's huge. Most R+L drivers have no idea what busy means. It must be nice to set your own schedule. That being said yes it's busy. Stay well.

I took a look at the overhead view of Hartford. Almost as small as Wichita. Any increase in business is a plus for you guys. Right now any terminal in a major metropolitan area is probably overwhelmed with business. Satellite terminals are more about delivering freight than picking it up. Hubs bring a different flavor. A few years back i know Atlanta had 135 to 150 SWAPS every day. They had a crew of drivers doing nothing but swaps all day long on top of their regular stuff. 2 terminal managers. That's huge. Most R+L drivers have no idea what busy means. It must be nice to set your own schedule. That being said yes it's busy. Stay well.
Do some swaps still want 150 bills signed?

Dallas is so far out of control. No apparent plans to hire p&d drivers. Crew is thin and only allowing 4 guys off at a time. I'm really not sure how many drivers we actually have because everything has to be a secret although I haven't asked. I'm not sure how many doors or routes Hartford has but I'm sure it pales in comparison to Dallas. No offense. You guys are a satellite. Not a dig but you're nowhere close to the freight these major hubs do. I've spoken to driver's that transfer in and they ask WHAT'S A SWAP? By the way. How many doors, drivers and routes does Hartford have anyway?
Yeah,Yeah,Yeah, There you go again, implying that yours is bigger. Just remember Old Timer bigger isn’t always better despite what your wife says. :hysterical:

Believe it or not, we are actually a hub, not a satellite.

Dunno bout this satellite vs hub business... but we got more work than we can handle. Sure inbound outnumbers outbound by about 3:1, but countin what we givin away we been handlin about 1500 bills a day

Believe it or not, we are actually a hub, not a satellite.
Didn't know that. Looks tiny in comparison to other hubs. Guess it's major for Connecticut. It's apparent business has taken off lately. I'm full both sides every day. My area has tripled in volume over the past couple years. Stay healthy and safe.

Dunno bout this satellite vs hub business... but we got more work than we can handle. Sure inbound outnumbers outbound by about 3:1, but countin what we givin away we been handlin about 1500 bills a day
The one noticeable difference is volume and swaps. Hubs usually generate so much volume swaps are a must. Saia has a customer called Uline probably has 40 swaps a day. I know we have a couple customers do 8 to 10 every day with an assigned driver. We are spread pretty thin right now. Service failures are a daily thing. They all fail pretty regularly.

Didn't know that. Looks tiny in comparison to other hubs. Guess it's major for Connecticut. It's apparent business has taken off lately. I'm full both sides every day. My area has tripled in volume over the past couple years. Stay healthy and safe.
A big reason why we are waiting half the morning for our trailers to be loaded is because of that small dock. The huge increase in freight has our dock swamped. We were supposed to get a new expansion 2 years ago now but they still haven't even started it. By the way, the photo on line of our terminal is very old. We actually acquired the huge lot to the right of the terminal.

The one noticeable difference is volume and swaps. Hubs usually generate so much volume swaps are a must. Saia has a customer called Uline probably has 40 swaps a day. I know we have a couple customers do 8 to 10 every day with an assigned driver. We are spread pretty thin right now. Service failures are a daily thing. They all fail pretty regularly.
Not every location that is a hub has large amounts of swaps. We actually only have 2.

Not every location that is a hub has large amounts of swaps. We actually only have 2.
Can't argue with your perspective. 2 swaps says a lot. 99% of you get to go home when you decide you want to head in. I know most terminals don't have swaps. It's all good. Consider yourself lucky. The workload can change an employee's perspective. Too much is just too much. Stay safe.

A big reason why we are waiting half the morning for our trailers to be loaded is because of that small dock. The huge increase in freight has our dock swamped. We were supposed to get a new expansion 2 years ago now but they still haven't even started it. By the way, the photo on line of our terminal is very old. We actually acquired the huge lot to the right of the terminal.
I saw the lot. Our yard is covered with trailers. The one side is all outside carriers trailers with a few R+L mixed in. The north side now is covered with trailers. Probably 30 or 40 Van's and probably 100 pups. Place is a zoo. It's a line haul mecca. Consider yourselves lucky you don't work 13 or 14 hours a day.

I saw the lot. Our yard is covered with trailers. The one side is all outside carriers trailers with a few R+L mixed in. The north side now is covered with trailers. Probably 30 or 40 Van's and probably 100 pups. Place is a zoo. It's a line haul mecca. Consider yourselves lucky you don't work 13 or 14 hours a day.

Can't argue with your perspective. 2 swaps says a lot. 99% of you get to go home when you decide you want to head in. I know most terminals don't have swaps. It's all good. Consider yourself lucky. The workload can change an employee's perspective. Too much is just too much. Stay safe.
Ya too much im running 12 to 14 a nite and morning now we have forced weekends forcing me out the door,im at nine and a half years when i get to 10. I will fill out some apps at a less demanding place with one clean job on app

Ya too much im running 12 to 14 a nite and morning now we have forced weekends forcing me out the door,im at nine and a half years when i get to 10. I will fill out some apps at a less demanding place with one clean job on app
What terminal? We have a lot of terminals plain and simple have it made. Others like Dallas and Atlanta probably Wilmington are just so busy you can't catch a break. The guys who have transferred to Dallas from let's say Shreveport or Wichita hate it. Over the years R+L Dallas has a reputation for having a huge turnover. We can't keep drivers plain and simple. There are multiple reasons with swaps after a long day having drivers walk off the job. With the economy like it is the job market is thin. Although an experienced LTL driver can always find a decent job. Especially here in Dallas. Good luck though.