SAIA | Camera question

I was dinged for stop and go rush hour at 5 to 10mph traffic and not having sufficient distance. They’re ridiculous.
Might be a bit of a stretch. Even so it's not that hard to touch the brakes to reset the timer... gotta learn to play the game here. Once you do you won't see that office anymore.

They do this at FedEx too. If the camera thinks you're following too closely for too long, you have to do about an hour of education. We have outward cameras.

I get dinged occasionally and it's stupid. When I do it, it's for a reason and I'm in complete control. For example, going uphill with loaded trailers. Letting off the throttle will be speed I can't get back. Going uphill, if I let off the throttle it'll pretty much come to a stop. I'm monitoring it and managing it, but the camera says I have to do the education.

It's not a fireable offense, but I don't want to sit in front of a computer for an hour after a day of work. That's deterrent enough for me.

Conartist I bet you quit they didn't blink did they? These companies don't care at all! Let a million miler walk is insanity
Yeah, me quitting was a 1 minute phone conversation. It was kinda slow back then.. that's the other thing about my hub at saia, they hand out more reprimand when its slow. If it's busy, nobody can get in trouble if they tried

Yeah, me quitting was a 1 minute phone conversation. It was kinda slow back then.. that's the other thing about my hub at saia, they hand out more reprimand when its slow. If it's busy, nobody can get in trouble if they tried
I've been here 15 plus years you hit that nail on the "Head"... Every time it gets slow, management wants to do that.

Last edited:
I hate to be difficult but Company Dispatch or Safety Critters or even BIG Op Bosses have provided me stories. I'll explain.

I was with DM Bowman in Frederick then later in regional Van out of Williamsport Maryland. I come up there from Alabama where its 110 degrees in the shade after a week waiting on getting loaded. I walk into the little cube brick dispatch building that had powerful airconditioning, frosting dew on the windowpanes and 20 plus office workers in FULL SUIT. FULL TIE. AND VESTS to the nines at every desk.

There was silence when I walked into that room. The keyboards quit, the phones stopped talking and every eye examined me. One came up to me saying you are not complying with our Company Dress Code driver. and then proceeded to chew me out for daring to enter the inner sanctum on official business wearing trucker clothes and work boots in the heat. While the gloves scattered dust and rust onto the nice deep carpet underfoot.

From that day in less than 15 minutes my heart turned to stone against anyone who tries to call themselves my dispatcher. They would never.

Theres been exactly three individuals who have earned my love and respect in that type of work in trucking and I will drive through hells gate for them if they would ask please. The rest of them? I hope they choked on their 50 degree air conditioning in three layer suits in the hot summer. Serves them poor bastards right.

That 10 minutes dressing down by the dispatcher made quitting that company a very light problem. No problem at all. 4 days later I was gone. If you no longer cared about them or hold any value to your presence there they can simply go find some other lout. That lout has probably showed up in a greasy vest with burger leftovers and flip flops by now. I would laugh.

To be fair that dispatcher thought he was correcting my behavior with discipline talk and so on. What they dont understand is that they just destroyed my desire to continue working for them inside of 10 minutes. All they needed to do was be quiet and take the damn bills off the clipboard and I would still be running for them.

I hate to be difficult but Company Dispatch or Safety Critters or even BIG Op Bosses have provided me stories. I'll explain.

I was with DM Bowman in Frederick then later in regional Van out of Williamsport Maryland. I come up there from Alabama where its 110 degrees in the shade after a week waiting on getting loaded. I walk into the little cube brick dispatch building that had powerful airconditioning, frosting dew on the windowpanes and 20 plus office workers in FULL SUIT. FULL TIE. AND VESTS to the nines at every desk.

There was silence when I walked into that room. The keyboards quit, the phones stopped talking and every eye examined me. One came up to me saying you are not complying with our Company Dress Code driver. and then proceeded to chew me out for daring to enter the inner sanctum on official business wearing trucker clothes and work boots in the heat. While the gloves scattered dust and rust onto the nice deep carpet underfoot.

From that day in less than 15 minutes my heart turned to stone against anyone who tries to call themselves my dispatcher. They would never.

Theres been exactly three individuals who have earned my love and respect in that type of work in trucking and I will drive through hells gate for them if they would ask please. The rest of them? I hope they choked on their 50 degree air conditioning in three layer suits in the hot summer. Serves them poor bastards right.

That 10 minutes dressing down by the dispatcher made quitting that company a very light problem. No problem at all. 4 days later I was gone. If you no longer cared about them or hold any value to your presence there they can simply go find some other lout. That lout has probably showed up in a greasy vest with burger leftovers and flip flops by now. I would laugh.

To be fair that dispatcher thought he was correcting my behavior with discipline talk and so on. What they dont understand is that they just destroyed my desire to continue working for them inside of 10 minutes. All they needed to do was be quiet and take the damn bills off the clipboard and I would still be running for them.
Birdman do you know a guy who goes by 1984Sideways?
Oh Yeah Wtf GIF by Arrow Video
Welcome back friend. :1036316054:

Last edited:
Every time we get new trucks here at Saia. The way they are programmed gets worser and worser. Now you have to try to pass a slower moving vehicle from 370 feet away from them in the fast lane. You cant get any closer. Which causes road rage if you take to long in the lane and you cant override the cruise by putting foot to gas pedal it drops you down from 68mph to 65mph.

The cameras have made me lazy. I don't care about being passed by another guy going 1mph faster than me. I don't care too much for trying to pass anyone unless they're going under 63 now, it takes too long and the gains aren't worth it.

The heavier I am, the lazier I drive. My best nights are when it takes me about 10 miles to run down an Estes or SEFL set. I can tail them the whole night without setting the camera off. When someone catches me and goes to pass, I slow down to about 60 so they slingshot me and jump in ... They'll eventually go to pass Estes or SEFL. and then guess what, you've got wide open road to catch back up to them. Whenever your lead goes to pass, sit back and wait a bit so that you've got a gap to get back over so the guy you and your lead passed doesn't think you're brake checking him. Makes for a smooth night if you're patient.

The 23 freightliners might as well be 65 only trucks. They don't even maintain 68 hills, catch up to a 65 truck and it's almost impossible to pass them. Another lazy day when I get into one.