Yellow | Car Payment

mustache

TB Legend
Credits
Have a question for ya, when ya get a car / truck / boat or whatever paid for, what do you do next? Find something else to purchase, i hope not, just keep on making that payment, but make that payment "TO YOU" and put it in the back of your check book, i have paid for several things and now i charge my self $800 a month for a car payment that i don't have, now when a financial problem comes up i can handle it, and YOU DON'T NEED "NEW"! Know matter what ya drive, it only goes from point A to point B!

Have a question for ya, when ya get a car / truck / boat or whatever paid for, what do you do next? Find something else to purchase, i hope not, just keep on making that payment, but make that payment "TO YOU" and put it in the back of your check book, i have paid for several things and now i charge my self $800 a month for a car payment that i don't have, now when a financial problem comes up i can handle it, and YOU DON'T NEED "NEW"! Know matter what ya drive, it only goes from point A to point B!

I like your way of thinking and you should read a little of Dave Ramsey's book too. Furthermore, I think you'll love the read if you have not heard of it yet... :shades:

dave-ramsey-total-money-makeover.jpg

Mustache, my wife and I have done almost the same thing that you are talking about. As of date, the only payment we have is our house note, and the utilities that go with that. We make anywhere between 2 to 2 1/2 house payments a month, trying to get it paid off.

I don't think you have to drive the newest car/truck that comes off the lot. We don't have the newest STUFF in our house, but we DO have a nice place to live.

We got out of debt using a plan that is laid out by Dave Ramesy. You can find it at www.daveramsey.com. It's amazing how little we fight, since money is not something we fight over.

You know what they say is true......"Happy Wife, Happy LIFE"

When I first came to yellow 21 years ago, I had the pleasure of getting to work with some of the old time freight haulers still working at that time. There was one Brother in particular Mr. P., his handle was “Chief” and was a character. He always wore a Yellow uniform and ONLY ran to NEW from ATL.

I got to run to NEW with him one night after being there 6 months. He talked the whole trip over there, stopped at some old, and I mean old truck stops many of you younger drivers only heard of in stories and songs. Mr. P. was talking about how drivers were not “money smart” and would do nothing but spend all they had, paycheck to pay check.

He told me this company allowed him to take care of his family and it was up to him to take care of his money that he earned from Yellow. He told me that I would be making more money than I ever would make in trucking freight with Yellow. He said these city and dock men get paid for 40 hours of work a week and make so much…..he must have been reading my mind over the CB, because the next thing he said was, “yeah Kennesaw Kid, you are thinking you will make even more on the road Mr. P.” “That is my point exactly!” “Live on what they make for 40 hours a week, and put the rest back in a savings account, CDs or bonds. There may come a time when freight is slow that you will be lucky as a road driver to even make what the city does in 40 hours and you may need that extra money, and it will be there for you to borrow from yourself.”

21 years later I can still hear Mr. P. saying those words to me. He gave me a 1958 Freight Contract book and told me this is where he came from, and it is there to remind him were he started. You always need to know where you started and where you will go.

I guess we will know next month if we will continue to know where we are going…..KK

Now we are on to something. Maybe we should start a Ramsey thread........My wife, daughter, son and his wife just finished F.P.U. this week.........on our way.........:woot:

You got some good advice, KK. We are middle class workers, thanks to the NMFA. We should live like that for times like this. DS.

When I first came to yellow 21 years ago, I had the pleasure of getting to work with some of the old time freight haulers still working at that time. There was one Brother in particular Mr. P., his handle was “Chief” and was a character. He always wore a Yellow uniform and ONLY ran to NEW from ATL.

I got to run to NEW with him one night after being there 6 months. He talked the whole trip over there, stopped at some old, and I mean old truck stops many of you younger drivers only heard of in stories and songs. Mr. P. was talking about how drivers were not “money smart” and would do nothing but spend all they had, paycheck to pay check.

He told me this company allowed him to take care of his family and it was up to him to take care of his money that he earned from Yellow. He told me that I would be making more money than I ever would make in trucking freight with Yellow. He said these city and dock men get paid for 40 hours of work a week and make so much…..he must have been reading my mind over the CB, because the next thing he said was, “yeah Kennesaw Kid, you are thinking you will make even more on the road Mr. P.” “That is my point exactly!” “Live on what they make for 40 hours a week, and put the rest back in a savings account, CDs or bonds. There may come a time when freight is slow that you will be lucky as a road driver to even make what the city does in 40 hours and you may need that extra money, and it will be there for you to borrow from yourself.”

21 years later I can still hear Mr. P. saying those words to me. He gave me a 1958 Freight Contract book and told me this is where he came from, and it is there to remind him were he started. You always need to know where you started and where you will go.

I guess we will know next month if we will continue to know where we are going…..KK
You Know something HE WAS RIGHT. Thanks for the story K.K.