Carrier

That is very old news.

I heard that Carrier's equipment is being distributed to NEMF terminals.

That would be new news!

From my understanding Carrier lost the Gap and will be done in 30 days. I wouldn't mind their equipment. I juswt wish that NEMF had enough work to take on ALL the displaced drivers I understand there will be quite a few. If my source is correct the bottom feeder company that won the Gap contract does not pay enough to live off of.

I am a carrier driver out of Fishkill and here is what is going on.

We are under the Warn act. which means we will be layed off on Sept 14.

Carriers is dissolving after that.

Deliveries are being made till the end of August.

Latest I heard is Salson trucking who got the Fishkill part of the contract is now going to Hire all the drivers,(I don't believe this one yet) and buy all the truck and trailers we have.

The whole Shevell group lost all of the Gap, Old Navy and Bannana Contracts as far as I know including all the ones NEMF had.

Gap decided to go cheap and throw away 30 years of exceptional service with the Shevell Group company's.

It is a Shame.

I really liked my job over there and I also Liked doing line haul for you guys.

Hoping for the best.

No We did Old Navy, Gap and Bananna Republics.

You guys did mostly Gap's I believe and Old Navy's in the Buffalo Area.

We also did some Starbucks out of Edison but I do not know where those are going.

I can only talk for the Fishkill facility. I do not know the exact workings of our Pawtucket and Edison operations, except to say the whole Carrier division is closing down.

Correct Update

Before the rumors or incorrect info creates more bad news.

Carrier will end operations at Fishkill and Pawtucket
Carrier will continue to operate out of Edison NJ and service its other accounts
No equipment will be sold to Salson. Drivers will be able to apply there if they want.
NEMF will hire some of the drivers and staff where needed

NEMF Lost Home Depot

Care to comment on this rumor, MaxTrans?

from my understanding it states in a contract from what i have heard that there is to be no inter hiring as far as one person who lets say works for carrier then being able to be hired at nemf unless they are out of the shevell group of companies for 5 years.. i know and have heard carrier just got acontract with ikea furniture...i have heard salson with hire about 55 out of lets say 85 drivers out of the fishkill terminal...dont worry they bid so low they probably will lose their shirt..i also cant see why carrier would sell any equipment to a comany that just out bid them...except for the almighty dollar which kills and rules everything in this cut throat industry

Nemf will hire carrier workers

As I was told by my TM at NEMF Elizabeth, NJ that NEMF will take on some Carrier workers as needed at NEMF through out the system.

Want to work Nemf P&D or Line haul in Eliz, NJ or Bethpage, LI, NY Contact Me

If intrested in working ay NEMF Elizabth NJ or Bethpage, LI, NY, for P&D or Line Haul, Please send me a PRIVATE MESSAGE with your Full name, area you live in, what Carrier Term your out of, and your contact phone number.

I may not answer you till Aug15 or so, I am leaving for Vacation, but I know you will be working with Carrier untill Aug 31

well good news for the carrier guys..in this crappy economy i would hate to see anybody on the street... kudos to the higher ups at nemf to hire some of the carrier workers...

It is unfortunate that the drivers at Carrier Industries are in a tough position. Hopefully their will be some openings for them at Newburgh and Pawtucket NEMF Terminals in the near future. If they are working at Fishkill, that means that they probably live convenient to that location. It's tough to find good driving jobs with benefits in that area, so I hope that Sal Son will be able to hire most of them. Unfortunately, it's likely that Sal Son will be paying less than Carrier did. But I guess it's better to have a job "close to home" with the cost of fuel being what it is today. Good luck to all of you.

First of all, let me say that I am sorry if you are one of the people who lost her/his job.
It's always bad when people are out of work. However, nothing could be further from the truth that to make a statement like that!
Sometimes business owners and the managers who work for them have to make a hard decision. I'm sure that this was a very difficult one for the owners of the Shevell Group to make, but it is completely understandable. If the Contract was up for renewal and The Gap was unwilling to pay the proper price for the services they required (Fuel Cost alone would be enough to justify a large price increase), it would be a proper business decision to utilize the equipment (trucks and trailers) in a manner that would return more profit for the investment.
If you check into it, I'm sure that the new Company that took over the work is paying lesser wages with reduced benefits. They could not possibly be paying the people the same or more and make a profit at the same time.
In the mean time, NEMF (the flagship of the Shevell Group) continues to be profitable and to prepare for further expansion. The owner has just recently signed a new Work Contract with his workforce and has begun to purchase equipment and make additional operational improvements to prepare for anticipated future growth.
Again, I wish you and any displaced workers good luck. I hope that you find new and suitable employment soon.

I have actually heard the same thing more than once and the first time I heard it was from an NEMF terminal manager.

We are talking profit not revenue.

The Gap was a huge Cash cow for the Shevell group.

Remember it was all profit as there was never any OS&D and Gap paid for everything. They got the best service possible but it came with a price.

Will the Shevell group survive. Of course and probably prosper also as The company is set up so good to weather this economic slowdown.

The Gap on the other hand looks like they made a big mistake with this other company.

Have heard the drivers they hired are busting their *** for half the money, outrageous benefit cost and the word is spreading as they can not find drivers.

Seems some one over there bit off more than they could chew when they bid on this thing.

I would really like The shevell group to pick this account back up I do not want to see anyone fail but from what I've seen and heard from the nbg terminal this new company is having a hard time. Shevell could name his price if this company does not work out. Also from what I understand all the companies bring in good revenue but you are correct there is very little acception cost with the Gap account, therefore less overhead.

Rumors will fly for some time over what "really" happened with this account. What many ex-fishkill drivers agree on is the problem goes way beyond pricing or carriers mistake on how dispatchers weekly hours were reported which caused thousands and thousands of back dollars to be paid out to all of them (billed back to old navy), or repainting white trailers months before the contract was up, or dictating how many trailers carrier would supply their dedicated customer and on and on.

The gap has a terrible taste for carrier with all the abuse in billing over the years. Its that simple and plain and so many people in all positions know about it. It will take years to fix this broken business relationship. Us drivers did a great job servicing this customer since the beginning of the contract. Service awards from the gap filled up an entire wall in fishkill. There is only one person who is responsible for these failures with the gap and not getting other business to keep carrier alive. The VP who barked :order: orders, threatened to pull bonuses as a way to manage, threatened to fire you if you had an objection, financially ***** the gap billing everything to them from other areas within the company, etc. This is the person who should have allowed his people to run carrier operationally while he was out looking for other business. He is no different than any NEMF terminal responsible to keep the business alive. BUT HE FAILED!! :thumbsdown:

The gap hated dealing with this man and all he did was point the finger at reasons we lost the contract which aren't true. Now that 130 or so hard working men and women have lost their livelihood, should this man maintain his VP status over the remaining 25 edison drivers? Many ex-carrier people want to know when Mr. Shevell will save a few hundred thousand dollars in salaries and put himself in a position where the gap will entertain his services again ---- starting with a new leader for carrier? :smilie_132:

Unfortunately and IMHO, NEMF has the better chance on getting this account over carrier.