Yellow | Carrying a card

Canadian Flyer

They Call Me CF, Eh
Credits
Perhaps I'm posting this in the wrong place, but I wanted to pose a question in the form of a scenario.

From what I've learned, union shops frown on the presence of non-union people for a wide variety of legitimate reasons. In many cases, there are work rules in place prohibiting non-union personnel from performing work judged to be a union worker's job.

So what if, one day, that dreaded CRST shows up and the drivers start doing things they're not supposed to. Upon confrontation, the drivers reveal they are card carrying Teamsters. Are they permitted to perform duties reserved for union members? Or are they excluded because they are without a contract at CRST?

I recognize that this is an unlikely scenario, but let's pretend for a minute that you've run into BRG and Wong hooking up a set at 511 with their gold-colored rolling hotel. Is this acceptable because they're Teamsters, or unacceptable because they work for the enemy (part-time or not)?

I'm genuinely curious, and look forward to hearing what everyone has to say about it.

Perhaps I'm posting this in the wrong place, but I wanted to pose a question in the form of a scenario.

From what I've learned, union shops frown on the presence of non-union people for a wide variety of legitimate reasons. In many cases, there are work rules in place prohibiting non-union personnel from performing work judged to be a union worker's job.

So what if, one day, that dreaded CRST shows up and the drivers start doing things they're not supposed to. Upon confrontation, the drivers reveal they are card carrying Teamsters. Are they permitted to perform duties reserved for union members? Or are they excluded because they are without a contract at CRST?

I recognize that this is an unlikely scenario, but let's pretend for a minute that you've run into BRG and Wong hooking up a set at 511 with their gold-colored rolling hotel. Is this acceptable because they're Teamsters, or unacceptable because they work for the enemy (part-time or not)?

I'm genuinely curious, and look forward to hearing what everyone has to say about it.

Mostly it is situational, with respect to contract.

As a 'bedbugger ' delivering show freight to advanced receiving in the Bay Area, I was told to drop my trailer in the 'Roadway yard' and wait for them to put my trailer to the dock and unload my freight. After showing my Union card, I was allowed to back my trailer to the dock and be present in my trailer, but not 'move' freight.

As a 'worker' prepping a shipment of a self-contained carnival ride to China via ship, I was allowed to position the trailer in the warehouse for prep, using their power, after a phone conversation with the steward and verification of my Union status.

Sliding their power would be their work, making or breaking their set or spotting at dock would be Union work.

The fact that they are 'card carrying' is immaterial if they are working for a 'non' employer.

Exactly, Elwood. It's not "union" work, it's "bargaining unit" work. PTS whether unionized or not cannot perform YRCF Teamster's work. Because they are not part of the YRCF bargaining unit.

I'm a card carrying member.
CR-2.jpg

kEH1uSu.jpg

The issue of who can do what came up many times long ago. Wal mart would come in to pick up their trailer with their freight. They could only hook to the trailer in approved areas of the terminal. That was mostly helpful to prevent injuries or incidences from happening on company property.

i have worked a a few union shops . in new york if i guy brought in a truck load of steel he was stopped at the gate . he would be asked to show his union card . if he did not have one he had two choices . turn around or allow our union guys to bring his truck in ,unload it and return his truck to the gate . no exceptions

Do you guys actually have a physical card that shows you are a member? I have worked in three different locals and have yet to receive one.

Do you guys actually have a physical card that shows you are a member? I have worked in three different locals and have yet to receive one.
Years ago my grandfather showed me his union card from when he joined Teamsters Local 299 in Detroit Michigan. It was dated from sometime in the 1930's. He was working at Stroh's Brewery when they unionized. Mine is filed away somewhere around the house. Shows when I joined Teamsters Local 299 in 1974.

Your initial membership card and an up to date dues receipt or a withdrawal card are proof that you are a member in good standing.

Not everywhere. My Local hasn't issued dues receipts in quite a few years. I haven't ever received an original membership card, and I've been a Teamster for nearly forty years.

Still have my original from 42 years ago. I guess people aren't asked to show proof like they were in the past when more jobs/industries were unionized.

Mostly it is situational, with respect to contract.

As a 'bedbugger ' delivering show freight to advanced receiving in the Bay Area, I was told to drop my trailer in the 'Roadway yard' and wait for them to put my trailer to the dock and unload my freight. After showing my Union card, I was allowed to back my trailer to the dock and be present in my trailer, but not 'move' freight.

As a 'worker' prepping a shipment of a self-contained carnival ride to China via ship, I was allowed to position the trailer in the warehouse for prep, using their power, after a phone conversation with the steward and verification of my Union status.

Sliding their power would be their work, making or breaking their set or spotting at dock would be Union work.

The fact that they are 'card carrying' is immaterial if they are working for a 'non' employer.
As a card-carrying former member I think the right thing to do is to give respect 2 NE Teamster Barn that I roll into and let them tell me what they are are confortable with me doing.